Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Networking
Network problem with os/2 server
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
seso
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 29 May, 2005
1. Network problem with os/2 server
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hi all,

I've got the following problem with an OS/2 Server running Oracle 7 and it blows up my mind

Let's call this OS/2 server "Server OS/2" and a Linux machine "Server Linux". I have some also some clients (which all react the same so let's call them "Client C".

If I start Server OS/2 and run Oracle, all Clients and Server Linux can access it's services. After a while (this was in the past 2 weeks) this Server OS/2 was no longer reachable by the clients (whether PING or Oracle services) - only Server Linux was able to connect to this machine by ping and Oracle service on port 1521.

After a restart of Server OS/2 all clients are able to connect to that server again (PING and Oracle). If the server was not restarted again, it fails to provide it's services to mainly all clients except Server Linux after about 2 weeks again.

Now the situation changed: The Server OS/2 refuses services after 1 day to a few hours after a restart - and this is no longer bearable ...

The Network:
An OS/2 server, a Linux machine and several clients are ALL attached to one Hewlett Packard unmanaged hub (older modell). The Server OS/2 has a 3COM NIC.

Any help is appreciated - as I have no more ideas ... it sounds really strange but it's like that ... :-\

Best regards,
Jens

Date: 29 May, 2005 on 16:54
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 10 Aug, 2004
2. Re:Network problem with os/2 server
A few questions which might help to find an answer...

1. What operating system are the Client machines that are having trouble connecting to OS/2 running? (I'm guessing probably Windows, but which version?)

2. Which version of OS/2 Server are you running? Warp Server 4, or OS/2 Warp Server for e-Business? Entry level or advanced? And what file system is the server running (HPFS, HPFS386, or JFS)?

3. What network protocol(s) are you using on your network (I'm guessing Netbios over TCP/IP, but I could be wrong)?

4. Which level of MPTS is installed? If you are using TCP/IP (or Netbios over TCP/IP), what level of TCP/IP stack is the OS/2 system running ? (to find out, open a command prompt window and type: INETVER)

4. What fixpaks, if any, are installed on the base OS/2 system?

5. What fixpaks, if any, are installed on the MPTS system?

6. Are there any fixpaks for the Lan Server / lan requester system installed?

There could be a few things causing the difficulty. If you can get back with the above information (especially the INETVER information - assuming you're using TCP/IP), then we may be able to figure out what's going on here.

Date: 29 May, 2005 on 18:53
kvo
Normal member
in user

since: 24 Mar, 2003
3. Re:Network problem with os/2 server
It looks as not fully good NIC. You have 3+Com, and we had very similar simptoms before (some NICs couldn't do reset after few days of functioning).

Change your NIC to some other ones (the same type) and see what will happen.

Date: 30 May, 2005 on 05:55
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
4. Re:Network problem with os/2 server
Good point, it could be a network card problem. Although I've seen similar problems being software related - the machine I currently use as a file server had that problem when I first set it up. Turned out a fixpak and a TCP/IP update fixed it.
Date: 30 May, 2005 on 18:32
Network problem with os/2 server
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: