Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Networking
Two questions: sharing between OS/2 Warp Server and Windows without NetBEUI and changing a printer's name.
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
kilky
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 10 Oct, 2002
1. Two questions: sharing between OS/2 Warp Server and Windows without NetBEUI and changing a printer's name.
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I am completely new to OS/2, and I am having a networking issue. I read in one place that the only way to share files between OS/2 and Windows was to use the NetBEUI protocol. Then I read somewhere else that I should be able to configure it to work without changing any protocols within Windows itself. I am running OS/2 Warp Server Version 4 on my server box, and I would like it to be network compatible with Windows machines that only have the TCP/IP protocol installed (98, 2K, and XP machines). I would also just love full access for everyone to everything on my server. Is there really a way to go about doing this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Issue #2:
I want the server to share a printer. This new OS was to replace another OS on this machine that had shared the printer, an HP LaserJet III, under the name GM1P, and OS/2 doesn't want to let me share the printer under any name other than HPLaserJ. I will have to manually reconfigure every computer that had previously been set up to print to GM1P if I can't figure this out with someone's help. I've already tried changing some values in LASERJET.DRV with a hex editor. That didn't work. Urrg. If anyone has any ideas, let me know!

Date: 10 Oct, 2002 on 03:25
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
2. Re:Two questions: sharing between OS/2 Warp Server and Windows without NetBEUI and changing a printer's name.
To my knowledge you have to use netbios if you want to share a LAN resourse when using OS2 or netbios over tcpip. So you would have to at least to add the netbios over tcpip on the clients. If you can ref me to the link you read about not using netbios that would be of interest.

Regarding the printer resourse at least in the WSFeB you're able when defining the resourse you give it an Alias and this can be set to GM1P as you would like. Could it be that you was refer to the spooler queue? This one there is usually no need to change since you set the alias to whatever you want. But, ok I could be wrong here since you're using the Warp Server 4.

Check the picture:

Date: 10 Oct, 2002 on 20:22
kilky
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 10 Oct, 2002
3. Re:Two questions: sharing between OS/2 Warp Server and Windows without NetBEUI and changing a printer's name.
Regardless of what I put as the printer's alias, it shows up on the network as HPLaserJ, although according to the OS itself it is shared under the alias GM1P. Very confusing.
Date: 10 Oct, 2002 on 22:08
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
4. Re:Two questions: sharing between OS/2 Warp Server and Windows without NetBEUI and changing a printer's name.
Thats odd since if I run NET USE it lists as it should and then there is no problem to mount it from windows. Well, I actually don't use OS2 anyomore here in my home network to share the printer. I bought a D-Link 101 printer interface, this convert a normal printer port into a 10Mb Ethernet works really great and it's much easier now when it comes to config the different OS to print the IP printer.
Date: 11 Oct, 2002 on 20:05
Kim
Team member
in staff

5. Re:Two questions: sharing between OS/2 Warp Server and Windows without NetBEUI and changing a printer's name.
ok, I have to set up a LAN Server 4 installation to be able to check so bare with me until I've set it up. Might take some days, but, scream on me again!
Date: 12 Oct, 2002 on 10:41
Two questions: sharing between OS/2 Warp Server and Windows without NetBEUI and changing a printer's name.
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: