Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Networking
HP DIRECTJET 400N
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
MARKR54
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 12 Oct, 2002
1. HP DIRECTJET 400N
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I have a an os/2 warp 4/linux redhat 7.2 dual boot system networked through a netgear fvs318 firewall along with two other win xp machines. they all access the internet with no issues. linux and win xp have recognized the directjet 400n that allows them to access an hp2500c+ printer. however os/2 - i have not been able to configure. can anybody help me with the procedure?
Date: 12 Oct, 2002 on 04:22
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
2. Re:HP DIRECTJET 400N
First question is if there is any drivers close enought to the 2500c+ to get it spin in OS2, ie would you at least to get it to work if you connected it via a LTP-port?
The 400N as I understand is just a plain printer server hardware that you have configured with an IP#, or?

If, yes to above this one can be turned into a happy storyit matter of config the tcpip services in OS2. What version of OS2 and TCP/IP stack are you using? First of all you have to config the Printing enviroment within the tcpip stack (now it depends on what stack you're using and how it will be done), but check this picture:

Restart the system and then you have to enable the lpd and lprportd under Autostart configuration. Change the port on the printer to use now the P1 port and it should work.

Date: 12 Oct, 2002 on 10:37
MARKR54
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
3. Re:HP DIRECTJET 400N
Thanks for the response. I don't know if OS/2 drivers exist for the printer but I suspect they do as it has now been discontinued by HP and is aging by the day... The 400N is also an older print server and it is configured in both XP and Linux with a separate IP address. To try the LTP option would involve lugging the PC a few feet - I'd rather gamble that if I can get it to be seen via TCP/IP - then I'll be happy to see it get recognized (maybe IBM's Software Choice will help once I finally buy into access).
OS/2 version I'm using is 4.0 with Fixpack 15 installed. TCP/IP stack version? Don't know for sure but when I went into the TCP/IP Configuation Option as you show it below I noticed immediately that I had the IP address in the wrong place. After correcting that I rebooted and still am finding myself unable to identify the printer from within the system. And I seem to be going around in circles when connecting to the "network".....
Date: 13 Oct, 2002 on 06:17
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
4. Re:HP DIRECTJET 400N
First of all try to find a proper drivers if the printer supports PostScript ther should be nat problem to get it to spin. For proper drivers check out the IBM Printer Kit follow this link to get your hands on the latest. Just compare the printer driver with what you have and just pick one that is the closest you have and it should work.

If you made the update of the Printing option in the TCPIP you should also just verify that you now have two new Network ports available in the printer drivers properties.

If it looks like above then everything is fine. Then also remember to pick one of the ports that you just added.

Also remember to eneble the lpd and lprportd under the Autostart in the TCPIP configuration. If everything is set as above it should then work. But, the system has to be rebooten betwen the action of creating the network printer ports and enabling the printer daemon services in TCPIP Config.

Let me know how it works out for you.

/Kim

Date: 13 Oct, 2002 on 10:44
MARKR54
Normal member
in user

5. Re:HP DIRECTJET 400N
I'LL BE TRYING YOUR SUGGESTION LATER TODAY - I'LL UPDATE YOU ON THE RESULTS. I DO HAVE THE LPD OPTIONS UNDER THE OUTPUT PORT LISTINGS. I DID INSTALL THE PRINTER WHOSE DRIVERS I UTILIZE UNDER XP FOR THE 2500 -THE HP 1200C. BUT IT DID NOT RESPOND WHEN I TRIED TO SEND THE 2500 A PRINT JOB UTILIZING THAT DRIVER. POSTSCRIPT IS AN OPTION THE 2500C I HAVE CAN USE BUT I HAVE NOT DONE SO UNDER WINDOWS 2000 OR XP SO I'M HESITANT TO DO SO WITH OS/2. I DID FIND THIS TIDBIT ON AN HP SITE :
"Connectivity/Network Management Model Description
HP 2500C/HP 2500C+ Network-capable printer for DOS and Windows environments
HP PCL 3Windows Driver Support for Windows NT 4.0, Windows for Workgroups 3.1x/95/98, Optional HP PCL5 (HP PCL5 is standard with HP 2500C+)
Centronics parallel, IEEE 1284 compliant
One network interface slot accepts optional HP MIO Print Servers with support for Novell Netware, Microsoft LAN Manager, Windows for Workgroups, Windows NT, IBM LAN Server, IBM OS/2 Warp*, Unix environment* and AppleTalk* (EtherTalk and LocalTalk)
*IBM OS/2 support for all models will be available as a free upgrade in Summer 1999

NOTICE THE MENTION OF WARP....
THE LINK YOU GAVE ME DOES NOT HAVE A 2500 DESKJET DRIVER LISTED...
ONE LAST THING - WHEN I BOOT OS/2 THE STARTUP OPTIONS OF LPD AND LPRPORTD OPEN TWO PROMPT WINDOWS ON THE DESKTOP. I HAVE BEEN SHUTTING THEM DOWN. SHOULD I LEAVE THEM OPEN & MINIMIZED INSTEAD?AND - SINCE THE OS/2 MACHINE IS BOOTED DAILY AND IS NOT CONNECTED FULL TIME IS THERE A REQUIREMENT TO BE LOGGED INTO THE NETWORK - SOME SORT OF A MANUALLY INTIATED PROCESS OR ARE THE LPD ETC STARTUP FUNCTIONS ESTABLISHING THE CONNECTIVITY THAT I NEED FOR THE PRINTER?
THANKS AGAIN..

Date: 13 Oct, 2002 on 21:35
Kim
Team member
in staff

6. Re:HP DIRECTJET 400N
It looks like the printer should work under OS2 without any problem and there is even drivers for DOS and old Win 3.x. But what I noticed at HP support page is that there was PCL3 drivers available for the 2500c, for OS2; have you tried them? Also since the Plus model is a Postscript printer you should be able to take another PS drivers available for OS2 from HP. In most cases it works as long the printer doesn't requires special commands for special features.

The two windows command line windows should be left alone since thats the daemon services for netwoek printing. In the TCP/IP config you're able to set them to start minimized and they take more or less no memory at all so just leave them there.

Regarding the question if there is any sort of initial process to get it to printer over the network. No there isn't, if the tcpip network is available there isn't anything else to do.

Date: 13 Oct, 2002 on 23:53
Kim
Team member
in staff

7. Re:HP DIRECTJET 400N & Color LaserJet 2500 PS
Question but would your 2500c be the same as Color LaserJet 2500 PS? If so there is drivers available at IBMs Driver Pak page
Date: 14 Oct, 2002 on 00:01
MARKR54
Normal member
in user

8. Re:HP DIRECTJET 400N
THE 2500 LASERJET IS A DIFFERENT SPECIES - NO COMPATIBILITY....

ANOTHER THOUGHT... UNDER PRINTERS I HAVE IBMNULL & HP1200C INSTALLED. PIPE/LPD0 AND PIPE/LPD2 ARE SHADED UNDER OUTPUT PORT WHEN I SELECT ONE OR THE OTHER IBMNULL OR HP THE SHADED OUTPUT PORT DOES NOT CHANGE. IF I SELECT PROPERTIES CHOICES FOR PRINT DESTINATION, : LPD SERVER & PRINTER AND PRINT SOURCE: HOST NAME & USER ARE ALL EMPTY. SEEMS SOMETHING SHOULD BE THERE......

Date: 14 Oct, 2002 on 00:40
Kim
Team member
in staff

9. Re:HP DIRECTJET 400N
If you're able to mark either of the PIPE-ports it should work out and as odd it might sound there is no need to add any info in the port properties. I never had to enter anything in there and is has always worked out. And this goes for a couple of different installations.
Date: 14 Oct, 2002 on 00:51
MARKR54
Normal member
in user

10. Re:HP DIRECTJET 400N
Turns out the HP driver allows the printer to be installed under WinOS/2 only.... The HP 1200C priter still isn't responding... check out http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/support_doc/bpd06328.html
any other suggestions? and again - thanks
Date: 14 Oct, 2002 on 03:40
Kim
Team member
in staff

11. Re:HP DIRECTJET 400N
Well, currently I have no idea except for figure out if there is any other driver from HP that would at least work out. Hmm is it a colour printer? If yes or even if no, the printer should still be built around generic HP printer enginee so there must be a possibility of kicking some live into it. Regarding the Linux drivers for the printer; what does the documentation say about other printers. Could it be that they list a model of a printer that there are generic OS2 printers available?

Now it would be great if we had a ScreamBox at the site! Guess that now is the time to set one up

Date: 14 Oct, 2002 on 13:26
MARKR54
Normal member
in user

12. Re:HP DIRECTJET 400N
JUST CURIOUS - WHAT'S YOUR PROFESSION, AGE. GENDER, LOCATION? AND HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN INTO OS/2? AS FAR AS THE SCREAMBOX GOES - I'M NOT THERE - YET
Date: 14 Oct, 2002 on 14:19
Kim
Team member
in staff

13. Re:HP DIRECTJET 400N
As founder of OS2 World I guess that I should write a few lines about myself somewhere. Well, primary focus today is IT Security and currently working in Stockholm, Sweden. Married to a understanding and loving wife which also works within the IT industry (that is why I wrote understanding ). I'm 31 years old and have used OS2 since version 2.0.

Regarding screambox; usually it's a one way chat box for homepage that let users to write the opinion on something and it then gets to be shown in the "screambox" until someone else write something new. Since it would be of interest to solve this, as said most postscripts printer usually one way or another is able to print within OS2.

But, there is more than just computers, if you have interest of whisk(e)y, check out another page that I've set up, http://www.whiskyforum.com .

Best Regards,
Kim Haverblad
Stockholm, Sweden

Date: 14 Oct, 2002 on 14:46
MARKR54
Normal member
in user

14. Re:HP DIRECTJET 400N
THANKS FOR THE INFO ONE LAST QUESTION AS I'LL STAY MUM UNTIL THIS PRINTER STARTS WORKING... I'M CURRENTLY USING 5.SOMETHING FROM OPERA AS MY PRIMARY OS/2 BROWSER. MOZILLA CRASHES WHENEVER I START IT - WEB EXPLORER 1.1 IS A JOKE, AND IBM'S NEW EXPLORER CAN BE GOTTEN ONLY VIA SOFTWARE CHOICE (HAVE YOU ENROLLED IN THAT AND IS IT WORTH IT?). OPERA CRASHES ON OCCASION TOO. WHAT'S YOUR BROWSER CHOICE AND DO YOU HAVE AN ACTIVE LINK TO DOWNLOAD NETSCAPE?
Date: 14 Oct, 2002 on 15:28
Kim
Team member
in staff

15. Re:HP DIRECTJET 400N
My primary choice of browser for OS2 is Mozilla and I'm using version 1.1b. Hmm crashes for you thats bad. I would say that I haven't had problem with Mozilla since version 0.9x something. Suggest that you check your java enviroment.
Date: 14 Oct, 2002 on 15:48
HP DIRECTJET 400N
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: