Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Programming
API documentation
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
arr
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 26 Jan, 2004
1. API documentation
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Does anyone know of another place online that is a good reference for os/2's api? The os/2 api project seems to be outdated\imcomplete.

Kind regards,
arr

Date: 01 Feb, 2004 on 00:56
zoron
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 19 Oct, 2003
2. Re:API documentation
Hi

The only freely available complete api reference I know of came with virtual pascal. This included 5 pm reference books in inf format and two gpi books. (Note books = files.)

These are copies of the files that come with the os2toolkit (included with eCS) but translated from C to pascal.

Control programming functions are also included in vp's help files.

If you are looking for C reference stuff you may be out of luck, although you could use the vp stuff as a reference and check the correct syntax from the header files .

Date: 01 Feb, 2004 on 11:01
arr
Premium member
in user

3. Re:API documentation
Thanks, I'll check into it. Actually, I am not using c, I am using sibyl so that sounds like it might be what I am looking for since sibyl is object pascal. The demo copy doesn't have any reference help with it except for one that is in german but I can obviously tell it's not a api reference anyways. Need to find out how to launch a pm program from sibyl and it looks like there is no "built in" statement to do this but I understand there is a api call for this.

kind regards,
arr

Date: 01 Feb, 2004 on 14:16
zoron
Normal member
in user

4. Re:API documentation
I should have mentioned that I have an older version of virtual pascal but I doubt the documentation has changed. VP's online help is a very good quick reference.

I normal use DosStartSession to start a program from inside another program but I guess you could also use DosExecPgm or WinStartApp. You may also need to look at DosCreateQueue or DosCreatePipe if you need your two programs to communicate with each other.

I have never tried sybil but the api calls should be the same. I am surprised sybil does not have an exec function or similar to execute another program. Although it probably isn't what you want as you may need a more advanced function, of course more advanced = more bugs .

Good luck.

Date: 02 Feb, 2004 on 11:57
arr
Premium member
in user

5. Re:API documentation
Yes, I did see references to DosExecPgm and WinStartApp - I just need a good clear explanation on how to use them. I'll keep looking. The two programs don't need to communicate to each other, I just simply want to launch a PM program - nothng more.

Thanks,
arr

Date: 02 Feb, 2004 on 14:23
zoron
Normal member
in user

6. Re:API documentation
DosExecPgm, if I remember correctly, will only start a program of the same type as the launching program -- in your case the launching program must be a pm program.

Virtual pascal does have example code which should help you. Mostly it is a matter of experimenting to get your function to work the way you want it to.

If you have a specific programming problem then I am sure if you post it, someone will be able to help you.

Good luck.

Date: 04 Feb, 2004 on 16:50
arr
Premium member
in user

7. Re:API documentation
What I am trying to do is launch the various parts of IBMWorks from code. I know what the parameters switches are for launching the word processor, spreadsheet, etc. I just need a good, clean, example of using DosExecPgm or WinStartApp with this. For instance the word processor is ibmworks -wp, the spreadsheet is ibmworks -ss, etc. This will be a PM app that launches them. There is no help guide that comes with Sibyl so it is tough to find out things like the api or properties and methods for controls in Sibyl. Some things are easy to figure out and others are not.

kind regards,
arr

Date: 08 Feb, 2004 on 20:24
zoron
Normal member
in user

8. Re:API documentation
I have attached a couple of example programs (vio & pm) showing one usage of WinStartApp.

I have tried them with ibmworks and they start the program on my system. So, they may help you with your coding problem. They are setup to start os/2 programs only.

They were coded in virtual pascal but hopefully you can get them to work in sybil.

Most of the code is taken from the examples in vp but with some changes so that it works .

I've included the executables in case it helps.

Date: 09 Feb, 2004 on 19:44 Attachment: WinStartApp_exs.zip
Radek
Premium member
in user

since: 17 Jul, 2003
9. Re:API documentation
More than good API references:

1. Open Watcom - the helpfiles does not contain everything needed - for example the PM reference(!), but the the helfiles are very good. Good explanation demonstrated on examples.
2. IBM Toolkit on eCS CD2. It contains almost everything that is missing in the Open Watcom. If you combine these two sources then you get a very good reference. Almost everything there is well explained and demonstrated on examples.

3. IBM DDK. Well, not as good references as the above ones but also, well, these references contain most of stuff, which is missing in the above references.

4. EDM/2. This is not a manual but an electronic journal. It cannot be taken as a reference but it contains bags of nice articles explaining usage of many OS/2 APIs. What a pity that EDM/2 is now a history and it is not continued anymore.

Date: 10 Feb, 2004 on 17:05
arr
Premium member
in user

10. Re:API documentation
Thank you very much sir for those examples, they certainly did; with some modifications, help me to get this thing going. I can now launch all the ibmworks' apps just fine. It's a floating toolbar something like whats in MS Office. I do not like the built-in launch dialog of IBMWorks simply because when you click to start a new document, the darn dialog goes away on you and that annoys me. So I decided to create a launch toolbar that will stick around even after you start a new document in something. Have some more figiting to do with the toolbar button graphics but basically it is working now.

kind regards,
arr

Date: 10 Feb, 2004 on 21:42
zoron
Normal member
in user

11. Re:API documentation
It is amazing what you find when you are not looking for it.

There appears to be complete api documentation at www.warpspeed.com.au/book/books.htm

The books appear to be html versions of the ibm books from the toolkit.

Warpspeed is the home to graham utilities.

As mentioned earlier pascal versions of most of these books are included with virtual pascal and also separately in the programming section of www.os2bbs.com.

Date: 06 Mar, 2004 on 06:44
arr
Premium member
in user

12. Re:API documentation
Yes, I downloaded the latest version of vp a week or so ago and have been looking at that. I will also go over to warpspeed and check that at also. Thanks.

kind regards,
arr

Date: 06 Mar, 2004 on 12:53
API documentation
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: