Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Programming
Resource compiler
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
arr
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 26 Jan, 2004
1. Resource compiler
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hi all, is there an update to the resource compiler that came with the warp 4 cd? The version off the cd is 4.00.001. If there is, where can I get a copy of it from?

kind regards,
arr

Date: 07 Feb, 2004 on 03:44
zoron
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 19 Oct, 2003
2. Re:Resource compiler
The latest version of rc is 5.00.006 from oct 2000, I think.

This version came with the os/2 toolkit 4.5.

Some older version did have some problems refusing to compile some lines.

There is a version on hobbes (DrDlgRc.zip) but it is dated may 95 so it maybe older than your version.

Date: 08 Feb, 2004 on 08:40
arr
Premium member
in user

3. Re:Resource compiler
last updated at 08 Feb, 2004 13:17 (1 times)
Toolkit 4.5? Do you mean one of those infernal convenience packs that I have to shell out $250 to IBM for? I have to do that just to get an updated resource compiler? That's asinine? How greedy can a company be? Gee, all I want is an update to the resource compiler. Is that the only way I can get it?

kind regards,
arr

Date: 08 Feb, 2004 on 13:16
Shadallark
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://homepage.usask.ca/tjl128/
since: 13 Nov, 2002
4. Re:Resource compiler
You could also find someone who has eComStation and get the toolkit from them. It is on the third disk in the 1.0 version that I have anyway. So if you are looking for a cheaper way to get the resource compiler and you do not know anyone who has eCS, I think you can buy it for around $100.

Shadallark

Shadallark
running eCS v1.03 on an IBM Aptiva
learning to program for OS/2 and eCS!
Under development, 4x space strategy game for OS/2 and eCS, Guardian Wolves: http://members.shaw.ca/guardian_wolves/
Date: 08 Feb, 2004 on 16:17
arr
Premium member
in user

5. Re:Resource compiler
I don't know anyone who has eComstation and unfortunatel;ly due to bills I can't afford the $100 right now for software - this may change later on so I guess for right now I am just stuck and out of luck. It shouldn't be this difficult or that expensive just to get an update to a little old resource compiler but I guess it is.

kind regards,
arr

Date: 08 Feb, 2004 on 20:16
davidfor
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/djfos2
since: 20 Jan, 2003
6. Re:Resource compiler
Noone has mentioned it, but, it seems that each version of the resource compiler that is available has different bugs. Because of this, different developers like different versions. I don't remember the details as my needs have always been simple enough not to notice the bugs.

Having said that, the Warpzilla development team have made a version of the resource compiler available. Go to the porting page at http://www.mozilla.org/ports/os2/ and have a look at the development pages.

David
Date: 08 Feb, 2004 on 23:01
Radek
Premium member
in user

since: 17 Jul, 2003
7. Re:Resource compiler
The toolkit is on CD2 of eCS 1.1 . Therefore, everybody with the "standard" version of eCS 1.1 should have it.
Date: 09 Feb, 2004 on 11:18
arr
Premium member
in user

8. Re:Resource compiler
Well, no luck there. I downloaded and tried it but it keeps complaining about not being able to find the message file messages.msg.

kind regards,
arr

Date: 09 Feb, 2004 on 19:46
zoron
Normal member
in user

9. Re:Resource compiler
I know rc.exe v5 from the toolkit uses a message file (rc32.msg) but I thought the old versions didn't.

Does this problem occur with the original Warp 4 rc or the new one from the mozilla site?

You could search your version of rc.exe to see if a msg file is mentioned then you only have to find that file

The version on hobbes drdlgrc.zip may solve your problem, there are two copies of this file -- get the one with rcpp.err. They were originally uploaded to solve a problem with DrDialog -- not sure what problem though.

Could the error message be caused by some strange system problem? Are you using cmd.exe as your shell or something else?

Date: 10 Feb, 2004 on 19:30
arr
Premium member
in user

10. Re:Resource compiler
The error message is only with the one I downloaded from the warpzilla site, not with the one off the warp cd. Let me go in-depth on this one. I am using JdeB's 32-bit command interpreter and the hang-up is actually with Richard's Castles' ColourManager/2. What happens when I click Apply after selecting a theme, it gets to 30% completed and stops responding - it doesn't bring the system down, I can shut ColourManager/2 down just fine by doing a Ctrl-Esc and everything proceeds onward just fine. I have been in contact with Richard about this and he thinks it is related to the resource compiler. When I boot with the stock cmd.exe, everything works fine - but not with the 32-bit cmd.exe. I noticed the rc.exe off the warp cd is an old 16-bit program so I suspect that this is the culprit since some old 16-bit programs may not work quite right with it acccording to what I have read(Some internal differencse between the command interpreters.). I have tried some of the environment varialbes suggested that are workarounds for some programs like minstall, etc. but they don't work with rc.exe. That is why I was hoping to get an updated rc.exe. The one off of hobbes is older so I don't think it will help. Apparently it's a little difficult now to get a hold of Jonathon now - the only way according to his website is by going through FidoNet and I don't think I want to jump through several hoops to do that - at least not right now. I think an updated rc.exe would, might solve the issue. Richard mentioned about in the future calling the old cmd.exe along with the rc.exe, but I tried that too and it did not work. I guess this no longer qualifies aa programming thread, eh?

kind regards,
arr

Date: 10 Feb, 2004 on 21:58
davidfor
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/djfos2
since: 20 Jan, 2003
11. Re:Resource compiler
Based on that description, it's one of two problems:

- JdeB's 32-bit commmand interpreter is broken so that existing OS supplied tools don't work. If this is the case, the only choice is not use them.

- Something in the environment that you use with this command interpreter is different to when you use the standard OS/2 one.

I can't help with the first, but, the latter I can think of something. When you swap between the two command interpreters, are you just changing the "SET COMSPEC" line in your CONFIG.SYS? Or are you changing other things as well? If the latter, then, are you adjusting the various paths? If so, then, you are probably missing something that RC.EXE requires.

Date: 10 Feb, 2004 on 23:07
arr
Premium member
in user

12. Re:Resource compiler
last updated at 10 Feb, 2004 23:35 (1 times)
I don't believe its the first since this seems to be the only tool I have found so far that is not working correctly. If it was causing system-wide problems I believe I would have noticed it by now since I have been using his command interpreter for several weeks and would have stopped using it if it was causing such a big fuss. I am following the instructions laid out in the readme file that comes with his command interpreter and setting some environment variables for it described in the readme file and the configtool database that mimics old cmd.exe behavior for a few - not many(mentioned in the configtool database), programs like minstall that need that old behavior to function correctly and they do. I found so far nothing else funny going on system-wide. It seems to be, with this one exception, an excellent command interpreter replacement. It does have alot of advantages over the stock one. Now I haven't actually tried the rc tool directly from the command-line to see if it stops responding. I will try that. It only happens with ColourManager/2 and ColourManager/2 uses rc to compile resources after you select a theme and click apply. It is possible it is something else with ColourManager/2; although Richard believes it is something to do with the rc. Like I stated, I will see if I can narrow it down.

kind regards,
arr

Date: 10 Feb, 2004 on 23:27
zoron
Normal member
in user

13. Re:Resource compiler
I don't know if you solved this problem but I noticed that there appears to be a complete os/2 toolkit (tolkit45.zip) available at www.os2bbs.com.

This file seems to contain everything, including messages.msg and rc32.msg needed for the resource compiler.

You may have to subscribe to download it (39MB) as free downloads are limited to 3MB a day.

Date: 01 Mar, 2004 on 08:55
arr
Premium member
in user

14. Re:Resource compiler
Thanks, but that is too much money for a one-time download and to get just a little old update to the resource compiler. Seems to be the only place that has it too - just my luck. Once again, I get screwed over by someone's greed. Oh well, I guess there is no solution to this one.

kind regards,
arr

Date: 01 Mar, 2004 on 12:31
magog
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.jmdb.de/
since: 23 Jun, 2002
15. Re:Resource compiler
last updated at 05 Mar, 2004 20:10 (1 times)
Look in your mailbox, and send me one email back (the address in that mail I already sent via OS2Word.com), so you get your toolkit and resource editor.
You can also click on the icon left of this eMail.
Regards,
Juergen Ulbts (Germany)

*** Java Movie Database - http://www.jmdb.de ***

Date: 05 Mar, 2004 on 20:09
arr
Premium member
in user

16. Re:Resource compiler
last updated at 05 Mar, 2004 21:10 (1 times)
Ok, I'll keep an eye out for the e-mail but I haven't received it as of yet - thanks!

kind regards,
arr

Date: 05 Mar, 2004 on 21:03
arr
Premium member
in user

17. Re:Resource compiler
Well, I guess I am confused since I have not received any e-mail notification of any kind. You say you sent it through os2worlds' website?

kind regards,
arr

Date: 11 Mar, 2004 on 14:42
Shadallark
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://homepage.usask.ca/tjl128/
since: 13 Nov, 2002
18. Re:Resource compiler
I also sent you a private message through this forum with my e-mail address.

FurFuznel

Shadallark
running eCS v1.03 on an IBM Aptiva
learning to program for OS/2 and eCS!
Under development, 4x space strategy game for OS/2 and eCS, Guardian Wolves: http://members.shaw.ca/guardian_wolves/
Date: 11 Mar, 2004 on 20:50
Resource compiler
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: