Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Programming
os/2 memory issue
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
ash
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 14 May, 2004
1. os/2 memory issue
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
We have a weird problem with our software which runs on our tools running on os/2.

Heres a sample code,
const Coord DEFAULT_ORP = Coord( 0.0, 0.0 );
const Coord DEFAULT_PATTERN_REF = Coord( 0.0, 0.0 );
const Coord DEFAULT_FEATURE_SIZE = Coord( 180.0, 180.0 );

where coord() is a class.

These are declared globally and there are a lot of such code all over.

But the problem is during the regular process, somehow the memory gets overwritten for these and it has junk from that point on. like Coord(2.1000e-314, 0) and everything goes beserk, ends with a crash to desktop.

I have no clue why and who is overwritting the memory.

Do we have any tools find such issues or any way to deal with this kind of memory issue?

The entire code is C/C++ compiled with a Visual age compiler.

Any help would be great.

Hegde
Date: 14 May, 2004 on 21:24
zoron
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 19 Oct, 2003
2. Re:os/2 memory issue
Have you tried running your program through the debugger?

You can step through the program watching the appropriate variables to determine the section of code which is causing the problem.

Date: 16 May, 2004 on 10:11
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
3. Re:os/2 memory issue
Not really the topic started here; but if one have problem with that a drivers for some reason is overwriten by some other driver. Is there any way of figuring out what driver or any other system file that during boot is doing this?

Need to figure out so I can use reserve.sys to reserve the memory area for the driver that is "damaged" during boot.

Date: 17 May, 2004 on 14:21
ash
Normal member
in user

4. Re:os/2 memory issue
Running it in the debugger doesnt let me know on to who overwrote this memory.

Some where there is a code overwriting this memory BUT it never crashes when this memory is overwritten. It crashes when we try to access this previously declared memory.

I am trying to find some tool to check this memory. I couldnt figure out with the icsdebug debugger on how to check this memory.

Hegde
Date: 18 May, 2004 on 00:05
oli
Normal member
in user

since: 24 Jul, 2003
5. Re:os/2 memory issue
You are probably looking for Theseus :
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/fixes/v4warp/theseus3/
for warp 3 FP 38 or higher
ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/fixes/v4.5warp/theseus4/thes4001.exe
for Warp 4 FP15 or higher

Articles :
http://www.goldencode.com/atlos2/notes/theseus/memoryanalysis.html
http://www.edm2.com/0508/membug.html

Date: 18 May, 2004 on 02:50
ash
Normal member
in user

6. Re:os/2 memory issue
Thanks oli for the Theseus tool .... Nice to know that there is some tool in os/2 too.

I found out that some PMMERGE is causing this problem. This is some os/2 dll. I dont know what it is doing.

Anybody any ideas? What does this PMMerge do?

The crash happens when we are trying to put data into a Dialog and display.

Hegde
Date: 20 May, 2004 on 21:46
oli
Normal member
in user

since: 24 Jul, 2003
7. Re:os/2 memory issue
PMMERGE is loads of graphic dll's merged into one, hence name, this hapened at v21 or v3, cannot remember
Date: 20 May, 2004 on 22:24
zionite
Normal member
in user

since: 02 Jan, 2001
8. Re:os/2 memory issue
Thanks for the tip regarding Theseus; solved some issues here at my side as well.
Date: 21 May, 2004 on 19:14
os/2 memory issue
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: