Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Programming
Files messed up
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
ash
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 14 May, 2004
1. Files messed up
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hi,

We have a weird problem in our software. Please let me know if anybody has seen such issues.

Our software has around 100 files being read for configuration, written for logging and such related scenarios. Intermittently recently we have issues such as data from one file being written to another file.
For example say system.ini and secs.log are two files, one for configuration and other for logging. With no specific scenario secs.log data is written into system.ini. No specific reason. I have checked all pointers allocated for these files, every place where it is written and could not find any issue.
Looks like some memory is acting weird.

Anybody has seen a issue. Anyway we can do some debugging to track such issue. Please respond.

Hegde
Date: 12 Aug, 2004 on 18:42
Sam
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 05 Feb, 2004
2. Re:Files messed up
IMHO, the following may help :

a. Is this problem repeatable ? If yes, now often ?
b. Run it in another machine with identical software configuration, will the situation the same ?

If the answer for both are yes, that looks like an application / software compatibility problem.

If yes for a but no for b, I will suspect it may be hardware problem / hardware related issue

If the answer to both are no, you need help from someone else.

Date: 14 Aug, 2004 on 17:08
ash
Normal member
in user

since: 14 May, 2004
3. Re:Files messed up
Thanks for the reply sam.

a. Yes ... no specific time ... happens with its own timing BUT yes it is serious. We have made it safe by getting a backup everytime somewhere a write is being done .. so that we dont loose the previous info.

b. Yes its happened in different computers same setup.

I think its something to do with these fopen(), fwrite() etc statements on os/2 and something with these exteneded attributes. BUT what? .... I am still trying to figure that out.

---
Hegde

Date: 16 Aug, 2004 on 17:07
Sam
Premium member
in user

since: 05 Feb, 2004
4. Re:Files messed up
Sorry, I can't help in program debugging.

Which version of OS/2 did the appliction run on ?

If there is no better alternative right now, you may try to upgrade the fixpak to see whether the problem can be solved. The URL is http://www7.boulder.ibm.com/pspfixpk.nsf/e81ae41b5683323d8625662800691e9f?OpenView&Start=1&Count=300&Collapse=1#1

Date: 22 Aug, 2004 on 07:42
Files messed up
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: