Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Programming
Programming Enviroment for OS/2 and EMX/GCC?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
1. Programming Enviroment for OS/2 and EMX/GCC?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Is there a progamming enviroment (where one can write, compile, debug, and build in one graphical user interface) for OS/2? for EMX/GCC? I am new at programming and want something similar to what I have for Win?
OS/2 Warp-ed to the very end.
Date: 12 Jan, 2001 on 19:53
javabob
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 16 Jan, 2001
2. Re:Programming Enviroment for OS/2 and EMX/GCC?
Tommy
I like to be able to cross platform develop..
So I like development enviroments
which are available for OS/2, Linux
and WinNt/98...
The following are my OS/2 Faves..
VisualAge Java for OS/2..by IBM
VxRexx for OS/2. by (Watcom)Sybase
Sibyl for OS/2..By Speedsoft

All Graphical enviroments
For SQL databases look at mSQL, MySQL, Sybase and Db2

regards
javabob

Date: 16 Jan, 2001 on 04:02
jacf01
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
3. Re:Programming Enviroment for OS/2 and EMX/GCC?
Unfortunately I don't think there is such a thing for GCC in OS/2. The closest thing would be KDevelop, but that might mean running KDE on the /2. I know some efforts has been done but can't tell you how far they went. Maybe you just need qt and a few other libraries. This would make things a lot easier since I believe that qt has been succesfully ported to the warp. This would make an interesting porting project, that's for sure.

Oh... while a full IDE might not be available at this time, maybe "ddd" could run under XFree86/2 - this time you'll need lesstif to be ported. You could edit from your favorite editor - vim,emacs,epm, whatever - and then debug in ddd/gdb. This would be terrific.

Black holes are where God divided by zero - Steven Wright
Date: 16 Jan, 2001 on 16:29
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
4. Re:Programming Enviroment for OS/2 and EMX/GCC?
How about M.E.D.? I tried the deom/shareware version of it with the settings changed in the 'toolbar' part. It seems to work pretty good. What do you think of this program?
Date: 27 Mar, 2001 on 19:44
jacf01
Normal member
in user

5. Re:Programming Enviroment for OS/2 and EMX/GCC?
Do you have an URL for that environment? That would be helpful.
Date: 29 Mar, 2001 on 07:00
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

6. Re:Programming Enviroment for OS/2 and EMX/GCC?
The link that I have is http://www.utopia-planitia.de/indexus.html
I also have a link to from my web page at
http://tomleem.homestead.com/emx.html
(I have not checked it recently but IIRC
it is still correct).
Date: 24 Apr, 2001 on 20:09
flywheel
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/flywheel/
since: 29 May, 2001
7. Re:Programming Enviroment for OS/2 and EMX/GCC?
Or how about Emacs
Live long and prosper...
Date: 29 May, 2001 on 00:38
JasonL
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.houston.rr.com/luedke
since: 10 Jun, 2001
8. Re:Programming Enviroment for OS/2 and EMX/GCC?
The setup that I have had the most success with is EMX, GNU Make, DrDialog, Project Manager 1.04, and Warp's Enhanced Editor.

The Project Manager software is the the glue that makes the whole environment work together. It is a freeware program that was written to work with EMX. (It's available in the Development tools section of the Hobbes archive). While it is not a "visual development environment" it simplifies the task of managing multiple source files (including header files) and it will run make and build executables automatically. (No more trying to figure out how to write a proper make file, or no more typing a long compile command at the command line)

I've found the Enhanced Editor that came with Warp 4 to be useful enough that the prospect of installing and configuring a different programmer's editor just for the sake of a few extra bells and whistles to be more trouble than it's worth. I can live without color coded text. It just forces you to be more consistent with documenting and organizing your source in seperate files so it's not too hard to read.

DrDialog is another freeware tool that is available at Hobbes. It is a visual tool that you can use to create dialog boxes. I use it to design the dialogs and save them as resource files that get compiled into the programs I write.

Incidentally, if you like programming in REXX, DrDialog can be used to create visual REXX programs in much the same way as Visual Basic is done in Windows.

Another possibility is using the OS/2 port of V. (www.objectcentral.com) V is a cross platform C++ GUI framework that is supposed to be able to work with EMX (as well as other compilers). The OS/2 port comes with a simple IDE. I was unable to get programs written with it to work properly though. My programs would crash whenever I tried to collect user input from text boxes, and I could not find sufficient documentation to tell me what the problem was or what I may have been doing wrong. Maybe you'd have better luck with it.

Hope this helps,
Jason

Date: 10 Jun, 2001 on 05:08
JasonL
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.houston.rr.com/luedke
since: 10 Jun, 2001
9. Re:Programming Enviroment for OS/2 and EMX/GCC?
The setup that I have had the most success with is EMX, GNU Make, DrDialog, Project Manager 1.04, and Warp's Enhanced Editor.

The Project Manager software is the the glue that makes the whole environment work together. It is a freeware program that was written to work with EMX. (It's available in the Development tools section of the Hobbes archive). While it is not a "visual development environment" it simplifies the task of managing multiple source files (including header files) and it will run make and build executables automatically. (No more trying to figure out how to write a proper make file, or no more typing a long compile command at the command line)

I've found the Enhanced Editor that came with Warp 4 to be useful enough that the prospect of installing and configuring a different programmer's editor just for the sake of a few extra bells and whistles to be more trouble than it's worth. I can live without color coded text. It just forces you to be more consistent with documenting and organizing your source in seperate files so it's not too hard to read.

DrDialog is another freeware tool that is available at Hobbes. It is a visual tool that you can use to create dialog boxes. I use it to design the dialogs and save them as resource files that get compiled into the programs I write.

Incidentally, if you like programming in REXX, DrDialog can be used to create visual REXX programs in much the same way as Visual Basic is done in Windows.

Another possibility is using the OS/2 port of V. (www.objectcentral.com) V is a cross platform C++ GUI framework that is supposed to be able to work with EMX (as well as other compilers). The OS/2 port comes with a simple IDE. I was unable to get programs written with it to work properly though. My programs would crash whenever I tried to collect user input from text boxes, and I could not find sufficient documentation to tell me what the problem was or what I may have been doing wrong. Maybe you'd have better luck with it.

Hope this helps,
Jason

Date: 10 Jun, 2001 on 05:11
Programming Enviroment for OS/2 and EMX/GCC?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: