Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
Daniela's Enhanced Drivers
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
RadarCat
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2warplinks.com
since: 29 Jan, 2005
1. Daniela's Enhanced Drivers
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message

Hi, All,

I am looking for a huge hard drive for Warp.

I would like to ask:

What is the largest hard drive installation that you have used with Daniela's Enhanced Drivers?

Is there a hard drive brand to possibly avoid?

What hard drive and Dani Driver has worked best for you?

Any information is appreciated.

Thank you very much !!

RadarCat, Webmaster
http://www.os2warplinks.com
Date: 25 Mar, 2005 on 23:30
Fahrvenugen
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 10 Aug, 2004
2. Re:Daniela's Enhanced Drivers
last updated at 26 Mar, 2005 04:16 (1 times)
On the one hand, JFS can (in theory) support up to 2 terrabyte drives. Although I've never heard of anyone testing a drive this big.

Last year I successfully installed a Western Digital WD800JB - an 80 Gig IDE hard drive. Its a relatively inexpensive drive and has very good performance on my system. More information can be found at:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-122&depa=1

As I was wanting to keep partitions a combination of FAT32 and HPFS (the machine dual-boots both OS/2 and Win-98 ) - and because HPFS has a 64 Gig limit on partition size, it took me a few tries to partition the drive into something which worked well for me. But in the end all is well.

Driver: Danis506 Version 1.7.0 (although I may update to 1.7.2 one of these days)

Hope this helps.

Date: 26 Mar, 2005 on 04:15
RadarCat
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2warplinks.com
3. Re:Daniela's Enhanced Drivers

Hi, Fahrvenugen,

I took a long look at the Western Digital WD800JB drive that you posted a link to. I am a great fan of Western Digital as well as Maxtor as I have had only good experiences with each in the past.

The WD800JB certainly seems like a great drive and has extremely good reviews, certainly worth having.

Thank you for the link. I was not aware of NewEgg's hard drive customer review feature.

---
RadarCat, Webmaster
http://www.os2warplinks.com

Date: 28 Mar, 2005 on 11:14
Orac2
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
4. Re:Daniela's Enhanced Drivers
Hi there I use a Maxtor 120 GB with two partitions.
One partition of 2 GB HPFS and the other about 118 GB JFS.

Best regards,

John Bijnens

Date: 29 Mar, 2005 on 11:39
Radek
Premium member
in user

since: 17 Jul, 2003
5. Re:Daniela's Enhanced Drivers
I am using a small HD - only 40G Western Digital. It works perfectly with Daniela's drivers even without patching - the original drivers on the installation CD of eCS 1.1 are enough.
Date: 29 Mar, 2005 on 14:09
hausmaus
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://outpostbbs.net
since: 11 Aug, 2004
6. Re:Daniela's Enhanced Drivers

Fahrvenugen (26 Mar, 2005 04:16):

Last year I successfully installed a Western Digital WD800JB - an 80 Gig IDE hard drive. Its a relatively inexpensive drive and has very good performance on my system. More information can be found at:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-122&depa=1

Thanks a lot for the URL-I've been needing to replace this 20GB in my system (not enough room). I'll probably put the drive in the BBS machine, but isn't 64GB the limit for HFPS? Don't mind partitioning it, just was wondering of the size limit.

Date: 30 Mar, 2005 on 05:42
Fahrvenugen
Normal member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
7. Re:Daniela's Enhanced Drivers
last updated at 30 Mar, 2005 06:09 (1 times)

hausmaus (30 Mar, 2005 05:42):

Thanks a lot for the URL-I've been needing to replace this 20GB in my system (not enough room). I'll probably put the drive in the BBS machine, but isn't 64GB the limit for HFPS? Don't mind partitioning it, just was wondering of the size limit.

Hi Hausmaus,

Glad to offer the link. Yes, HPFS has a size limit of 64 Gigs. If you want to go with HPFS you'll need to create at least 2 partitions. On the other hand, if you want to go with JFS it can handle the whole drive in a single partition. Myself - I prefer HPFS, but that's all up to the individual.

While you can probably already figure this out, one word of advice - don't bother with Western Digital's partitioning software - it won't create HPFS partitions. For me, I used Warp's FDISK -although I had to update it with the package at:

http://www7.software.ibm.com/2bcprod.nsf/186d96ebef23e6438625689c007ac1ef/81e0e0371d5c50d986256c08004a2cca?OpenDocument

LVM and DFSee should also both work fine without any problems.

Hope this helps.

Additional note: Western Digital also makes this drive with a SATA connection, about the same price. I've read that the Danis506 driver supports some SATA controllers, but I've never tried a SATA drive on Warp, so I can't offer any thoughts on that.

Date: 30 Mar, 2005 on 06:04
Radek
Premium member
in user

since: 17 Jul, 2003
8. Re:Daniela's Enhanced Drivers
Danixxx drivers do support SATA but I strongly recommend downloading the drivers first and checking the readme in the package. If you find your HD there then, I daresay, you will have no problems.
Date: 30 Mar, 2005 on 18:25
BlueWarper
Normal member
in user

since: 02 Mar, 2005
9. Re:Daniela's Enhanced Drivers
As for you initial question, I think the best thing to do is always referring to the docs coming with the software. Daniela writes very good readme.

I'm quoting a passage from 1.7.2 readme:

- supposed to work with drive capacities up to 2 TiB (OS/2 ADD limit), tested with drives up to 2 TiB now.

If you take 1.7.0, the readme says:
- supposed to work with drive capacities up to 2TiB (OS/2 ADD limit), tested with drives up to 250GB now.

So I assume that Daniela really tested this size (even though it's not clear if 2TiB indicates a single drive or a volume made by more physical disks combined (LVM feature)).

Maybe Daniela could tell us a definitive word...

Date: 30 Mar, 2005 on 19:50
Daniela's Enhanced Drivers
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: