Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
System can't find A drive
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
neuby
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 07 Apr, 2005
1. System can't find A drive
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
last updated at 08 Apr, 2005 19:10 (2 times)
I am trying to copy a file either to or from drive A and I get the error message that A cannot be found. On boot up the green light on A drive does not flash either. My machine has a Tyan S1830S Motherboard (XP00495). It does not have a mouse either. The mouse is enabled but I do not have a serial mouse to plus into it. I am pretty sure software dates back to 2K. I am not sure what version it is. What do I need to do to find A drive?
**Update: The drive unit has 5Vdc going to it. The CMOS Advanced Setup is as follows; 1st Boot Device=Floppy, 2nd Boot Device 1st IDE-HDD, 3rd Boot Device=ATAPI CDROM, I rechecked the data ribbon to the motherboard and it is secure. I get no message during startup and the drive is listed in the drives folder. When A drive is selected I get SYS0038: The system cannot find the A: device. When help is pressed, I get; An unknown device was specified. Retry the command using a correct drive name. What is aggrivating is that it worked just fine all day 04/06. I have no diskettes to check it with. This machine came 2nd hand with nothing. It wouldn't be so bad except that there is a CNC router that runs on this computer also. So I am very cautious about doing anything. How can I check for the "ibm1flpy.add" and the "BASEDEV=IBM1FLPY.ADD"? I am just a simple user P.S. How should I shut this machine down when I am in OS2 mode? I only have a keypad to work with.
- What would running DDINSTAL.EXE or SETBOOT.EXE do to the computer?
Thanks,
neuby
Date: 07 Apr, 2005 on 19:48
Fahrvenugen
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 10 Aug, 2004
2. Re:System can't find A drive
I'd start by checking the setting in the BIOS, make sure the A drive is set to floppy, 3 1/2" drive, and enabled. Also, some have a "seek floppy on boot" type of option - usually this does not have to be enabled for your floppy to work, but if you have this setting try turning it on.

Set the boot sequence to boot from A first and then C. Pop a boot floppy into A and see if it will boot from A. Either an old DOS or an OS/2 boot floppy should be adequate.

If not, pull the cover off the computer and make sure 1) the power supply is plugged into the floppy, and 2) the drive data cable is plugged in both to the drive and the Motherboard. You may also have a data cable problem - make sure it looks like there are no problems with this.

Note: An old DOS boot floppy is probably where I'd start - enough of DOS can fit on a single disk to get you to a command prompt, and if you can get the floppy drive working this way, then getting it to work under OS/2 should pretty much be automatic (assuming your config.sys isn't messed up)

Hope this helps

Date: 07 Apr, 2005 on 20:54
PeterSkye
Normal member
in user

since: 04 May, 2003
3. Re:System can't find A drive

Fahrvenugen (07 Apr, 2005 20:54):
Set the boot sequence to boot from A first and then C. Pop a boot floppy into A and see if it will boot from A. Either an old DOS or an OS/2 boot floppy should be adequate.

Just a quick reminder -- if you boot from OS/2 floppy and your drives are IDE, make *sure* you aren't using the original IDE drivers (unless you still have a small hard drive).

Date: 08 Apr, 2005 on 10:32
Radek
Premium member
in user

since: 17 Jul, 2003
4. Re:System can't find A drive
1. Have you got some error messages during system startup? Especially, during the initial phase, when the system runs in the text mode.
2. Does the "drives" folder display the "A drive"?
3. Is ibm1flpy.add okay? That means, is ibm1flpy.add present in the system_partition:\OS2\BOOT and does your config.sys contain BASEDEV=IBM1FLPY.ADD line? The driver can be elsewhere but then the line must contain the right directory.
4. Is the drive okay? Check it by means of any system diskette, as it has been recommended by Fahrvenugen. It need not be only DOS but also Linux or anything else. Enable startup from A drive in the BIOS, wait until the machine starts to read the system from the diskette, see whether the system is read correctly, and you can ctrl-alt-del without waiting for completion of the system load.

If the tests above pass then you have some strange diskette drive, which needs a special driver most likely.

Date: 08 Apr, 2005 on 15:02
tex
Normal member
in user

since: 25 Jul, 2003
5. Re:System can't find A drive

neuby (07 Apr, 2005 19:4:
I am trying to copy a file either to or from drive A and I get the error message that A cannot be found. On boot up the green light on A drive does not flash either. My machine has a Tyan S1830S Motherboard (XP00495). It does not have a mouse either. The mouse is enabled but I do not have a serial mouse to plus into it. I am pretty sure software dates back to 2K. I am not sure what version it is. What do I need to do to find A drive?

I have had this happen with a couple of motherboards. However, I believe you if try drive B, it will work. On some motherboards, there is a setting which allows the drives to be swapped, however, right off hand, I can't remember what it is.

Date: 08 Apr, 2005 on 15:33
neuby
Normal member
in user

since: 07 Apr, 2005
6. Re:System can't find A drive
last updated at 08 Apr, 2005 18:50 (1 times)

Radek (08 Apr, 2005 15:02):
1. Have you got some error messages during system startup? Especially, during the initial phase, when the system runs in the text mode. -NO-
2. Does the "drives" folder display the "A drive"? -YES- and a "B" drive
3. Is ibm1flpy.add okay? That means, is ibm1flpy.add present in the system_partition:\OS2\BOOT and does your config.sys contain BASEDEV=IBM1FLPY.ADD line? The driver can be elsewhere but then the line must contain the right directory. -YES- It is present in OS2\BOOT I do not know if it is OK though. This what i get- when I clicked on ibm1flpy.add a box popped up, it said " the editor dectected embedded NULL characters as it read the file. If you wish to continue, the NULLs will be transformed into spaces: otherwise the file will not be loaded". I backed out of there without doing anything. The config.sys contains the BASEDEV file like you said.
There is a BOOTDISK.EXE file, what would happen if I ran it? Also there is a BOOTDISK folder, RAMABIOS folder, IBMINST.BAK folder, and an IBMINST folder. Would any of these items help?
4. Is the drive okay? Check it by means of any system diskette, as it has been recommended by Fahrvenugen. It need not be only DOS but also Linux or anything else. Enable startup from A drive in the BIOS, wait until the machine starts to read the system from the diskette, see whether the system is read correctly, and you can ctrl-alt-del without waiting for completion of the system load. - I do not have any diskettes.

If the tests above pass then you have some strange diskette drive, which needs a special driver most likely. -This is same drive it was shipped with and has been working just fine until 04/07

Thanks,
neuby
Date: 08 Apr, 2005 on 18:47
tex
Normal member
in user

7. Re:System can't find A drive
[quote]neuby (08 Apr, 2005 19:10):
I am trying to copy a file either to or from drive A and I get the error message that A cannot be found. On boot up the green light on A drive does not flash either. My machine has a Tyan S1830S Motherboard (XP00495).

Is this a machine you have been using for years or is the motherboard new?

Has the floppy drive worked in the past with this motherboard?

If this is a new motherboard, I would tell you to reverse the cable going into the floppy drive. If pin one is on the wrong side, no floppy drive will be found.

I can only assume you have 1.44 floppy drive enabled in the bios.

David

Date: 08 Apr, 2005 on 22:04
cyberspittle
Premium member
in user

since: 09 Dec, 2002
8. Re:System can't find A drive
Hey Tex,

Good points! It is always good to look at the simple (and overlooked) things first.

Ensure the floppy cable is pin1 (on the moterboard) to pin1 on the drive). This is usually easier as the cables and connectors have little stubs ensuring it only goes in one way.

Check the BIOS before checking the operating system. If the BIOS doesn't see it, the operating system won't see it!

Does the floppy drive have power?

Yeah, I know these things sound stupid, but they are always good to check.

OK, the above steps have been done. Now what? Let's see if the floppy drive is good or bad ...

Find a "known" good floppy drive and swap it in. If the problem persists, perhaps the floppy connector on the motherboard has failed.

Date: 09 Apr, 2005 on 19:11
tex
Normal member
in user

9. Re:System can't find A drive
Find a "known" good floppy drive and swap it in. If the problem persists, perhaps the floppy connector on the motherboard has failed.[/quote]

Floppy drives do eventually wear out if your machine has any age to it. That is the next thing I would try. That was why I asked the age of the machine.

David

Date: 09 Apr, 2005 on 19:46
System can't find A drive
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: