Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
PCI Modem Card
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
DM
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 12 Jun, 2005
1. PCI Modem Card
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I'm a Windows refugee entering the world of OS/2 armed with a new ThinkPad R51, but the internal modem that comes with this laptop is a Win Modem, so I need a PCI modem card that will be compatable. I have checked local computer vendors in the San Antonio area and out of luck. Their not in stock, a Win Modem or the kid just looks at me funny. Enough of this!
Can someone please tell me what is a good PCI Modem Card for this OS and where I could go online to purchase this last item?
I'm sick of MSWindows problems and ready for a difference.
Sleep well my child, your laptop is powered by OS/2.
Date: 12 Jun, 2005 on 15:53
cyberspittle
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 09 Dec, 2002
2. Re:PCI Modem Card
Are you sure you want a PCI internal modem for a laptop? Or do you want a PC card modem for your laptop? I think IBM Thinkpads are laptops, but want to understand what you are really looking for. Also, as a modem is a serial device, perhaps you may want an external modem that connects to your serial port. An external modem is usually a hardware modem, so you don't have to worry about it using CPU cycles like a Winmodem.
Date: 12 Jun, 2005 on 20:40
DM
Normal member
in user

3. Re:PCI Modem Card
Here's the deal. I don't want to lug around an external modem. As a home health nurse and writer, I work out of my car and portability is a big factor. The mission is to bypass the internal modem with a PCI Modem Card. The trick in the deal is finding one that is not a Winmodem, because, unfortunatly even on the box they don't come out and tell you this until you get to reading find print on the paperwork inside.
What I'm hunting are PCI Modem Card's that people would know of out here that will work. That nifty little card I can insert right into that PCI slot.
There's gotta be a name of one and place to purchase online.
DM

---
Date: 12 Jun, 2005 on 21:32
DM
Normal member
in user

4. The Item in question is a PCMCIA Modem Card
I'm posting this as a reference to anyone else.
The item I'm looking for is a PCMCIA Modem Card that has a UART.
I am also told to look on the box for this item to support not just Windows but also Mac, Linux and some will tell you OS/2.
Brands can be: Xircon 56T, Action Tech, Best, might even be some made by USRobotics.

I'll keep you posted on my results.

DM

---

Date: 13 Jun, 2005 on 01:43
PCI Modem Card
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: