Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
3in1 Printer and eCS?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
1. 3in1 Printer and eCS?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Are there any recomendations for a 3in1 printer that works with eComStation? One could probably use Tame/2 with the scanner part and just use an eCS driver for the printer part. Are there any that will work with eCS-OS/2?
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2 Warp-ed/eComStation-ed to the very end.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Date: 14 Jun, 2005 on 14:23
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
2. Re:3in1 Printer and eCS?
I doubt that you will find any multi solution printer that will work within OS2 due to the fact that most of them are Win based solution. If you really want to have minimum problems I would suggest that you go for a seperat scanner and printing solution. I'm using a EPSON 2400 USB scanner and it works great under OS2.
Date: 14 Jun, 2005 on 18:30
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
3. WinPrint Project and 3in1 Printers? (was Re:3in1 Printer and eCS?)
http://www.os2warp.be/index2.php?name=win32prn
Could the Win32PM printer project be used with a 3in1 printer?

---
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2 Warp-ed/eComStation-ed to the very end.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Date: 14 Jun, 2005 on 19:28
Stuart
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 16 Jul, 2003
4. Re:3in1 Printer and eCS?

BigWarpGuy (14 Jun, 2005 14:23):
Are there any recomendations for a 3in1 printer that works with eComStation? One could probably use Tame/2 with the scanner part and just use an eCS driver for the printer part. Are there any that will work with eCS-OS/2?

YES!!

I've just bought a Brother MFC-3820CN, a network-enabled multi-function device (there are other "network enabled" Brother multi-purpose fax/copier/printers). Plug it into the network, and you can set either a static IP or use DHCP to assign an address. The printer can then be accessed as any other TCP/IP printer (the manual even mentions Warp Server).

The printer will also print photos direct from a media card (SD, MMC, Sony stick, CF), and if a card is inserted, the scanner part will then scan directly to the card, which can be read via FTP (using PM-FTP or similar). The file created is a PDF file, which can be read using the Innotek version (perhaps the native as well).

Quite a success!

Stuart

Date: 15 Jun, 2005 on 21:44
Sebadoh
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.newterrasoftware.com
since: 10 Apr, 2001
5. Re:3in1 Printer and eCS?

Stuart (15 Jun, 2005 21:44):

YES!!

I've just bought a Brother MFC-3820CN, a network-enabled multi-function device (there are other "network enabled" Brother multi-purpose fax/copier/printers). Plug it into the network, and you can set either a static IP or use DHCP to assign an address. The printer can then be accessed as any other TCP/IP printer (the manual even mentions Warp Server).

The printer will also print photos direct from a media card (SD, MMC, Sony stick, CF), and if a card is inserted, the scanner part will then scan directly to the card, which can be read via FTP (using PM-FTP or similar). The file created is a PDF file, which can be read using the Innotek version (perhaps the native as well).

Quite a success!

Stuart

except you cannot scan.. that was part of the original comment.

Date: 16 Jun, 2005 on 01:08
Stuart
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
6. Re:3in1 Printer and eCS?

Sebadoh (16 Jun, 2005 01:0:
<snip>

Quite a success!

Stuart

except you cannot scan.. that was part of the original comment.[/quote]

Yes, you can! That was the point of the second paragraph. The unit will scan the document, save it as a PDF, store it on the card. The card can be read over the network via FTP, and manipulated as you would any other PDF file. I've done it twice since sending the original post.

Stuart

Date: 16 Jun, 2005 on 07:15
law
Normal member
in user

since: 02 Nov, 2005
7. 3in1 Printer and eCS? Brother 3820CN - Some flaws to take note of
I bought a 3820CN last year August. It performed fine but problems croped up.

The cover hinges that allows access to the ink catridges began to break one by one by normal opening and closing. This the warranty did not cover despite it occuring within a year.

The printer head was faulty and had to be replaced but was covered in my 1 year warranty (made it by a week!)

The fax function is faulty, cannot fax out or in. This i have yet to find time to speak to the brother center to fix this problem.

And most of all the print quality is visibly inferior to my 2 HP printers i owned before this one. Even if i go for best quality it can only match the normal quality of the previous HP printers. Mind you my previous HP printers cost 1/2 of what i paid for the 3820CN.

There are good features, this is not a bad publicity to knock on brother, the scan function is efficient/fast, the autofeed is fast and pretty much jam free except if you forget to take out the staples! And the annual ink cost is lower than my HP by about 25%.

Hope this helps regarding the Brother printer anyway.

Lawrence

Date: 02 Nov, 2005 on 12:23
Stuart
Premium member
in user

8. Re:3in1 Printer and eCS?
Further to my earlier comment, you can also scan to JPG or TIF format, and select the scan quality (DPI). However, in fairness, it cannot be controlled directly from the OS/2 desktop - it is a multi-stage process involving scanning at the machine, copying over the network, using the file as any other. One cannot (for example) scan direct into PMView.

Stuart

Date: 02 Nov, 2005 on 12:43
Pete
Normal member
in user

since: 14 Aug, 2003
9. Re:3in1 Printer and eCS?

An Epson RX620 is working as scanner, printer and card reader according to a post in the os2-uk mailing list.

Printer comments were:-

"Both the C70 and C80 drivers go through the motions but I only get
blank sheets. The C60 driver works. A photo print looks pretty good
compared to what came off Windows but that was on photo paper and I only have plain so it's a bit lacklustre. That may just be the paper though since at 1440dpi it's pretty good and bright."

I gather that the scanner is supported by the sane package with usb support from http://smedley.info/sane.html

The card reader works as a network accessible device if I understood the poster correctly.

Just about the only thing that did not seem to work - or the poster forgot to update everyone on - is the usb port for attaching a usb cd writer.

I think the poster only had use of the RX620 for a short time so may not have had the chance to test the usb cd writer port or whether it could be used for other usb devices.

Regards

Pete

Date: 02 Nov, 2005 on 20:29
Smedles
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://smedley.info/os2ports.html
since: 12 Jul, 2003
10. Re:3in1 Printer and eCS?
I believe that most of the Epson All in one devices are supported by Sane and therefore should work on OS/2. There's a list on working (on *nix) devices at http://sane-project.org

Devices known to work on OS/2 are listed at http://smedley.info/sane.html

Cheers,

Paul.

Date: 03 Nov, 2005 on 06:07
bouchard
Normal member
in user

since: 06 Jan, 2005
11. Re:3in1 Printer and eCS?
You wrote:
"Yes, you can! That was the point of the second paragraph. The unit will scan the document, save it as a PDF, store it on the card. The card can be read over the network via FTP, and manipulated as you would any other PDF file."

I would like to know how you have been able to scan and then to retreive the file via FTP while the Brother MFC 3in1 in connected to eConStation?

Date: 03 Nov, 2005 on 23:39
Stuart
Premium member
in user

12. Re:3in1 Printer and eCS?

bouchard (03 Nov, 2005 23:39):
You wrote:
"Yes, you can! That was the point of the second paragraph. The unit will scan the document, save it as a PDF, store it on the card. The card can be read over the network via FTP, and manipulated as you would any other PDF file."

I would like to know how you have been able to scan and then to retreive the file via FTP while the Brother MFC 3in1 in connected to eConStation?

BEcause the scanner/printer is a network-enabled unit, and it is connected to the network, not directly to my PC. Thus I cannot use e.g. PMView or SANE to drive the scanner part. INstead I put the original in the document feeder or on the platen glass, press the scan button, select scan to card, change the file type/resoluton/name if I want to, press sttart and the file is saved to the media card inserted in the printer. I then use FTP to connect to the card and copy the file to my machine, and manipulate it as required.

The advantage is that when I take my laptop roaming around the wireless zone on our LAN, I can collect the document when I am ready. The disadvantage is that it isn't a "one button" operation from eCS.

Stuart

Date: 03 Nov, 2005 on 23:45
3in1 Printer and eCS?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: