Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
System can't find A drive
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
wombatf
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 20 Jun, 2005
1. System can't find A drive
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
last updated at 20 Jun, 2005 16:12 (1 times)
I've installed OS/2 Warp 3 on a Dell Latitude CPi.
The drive begins to spin, but i always get the
error codes sys0049 and sys0031 - device doesn't work.

What can i do on this problem ?

something else to clear my situation :

the floppy drive works well on the same laptop
by installing OS/2-Warp or as boot-drive or with the second BS Windows-NT 4.0

FM
Date: 20 Jun, 2005 on 13:07
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 26 Nov, 2002
2. Re:System can't find A drive
last updated at 20 Jun, 2005 14:10 (1 times)
Hi,

when does this happen? With the first (the "boot") floppy?
Then it's likely the disk being corrupted or the floppy drive head adjustment doesn't match the disk tracks. If floppies formatted in the Dell drive are okay but floppies formatted "somewhere else" sometimes fail, it's because the drives tolerances do not match.
To create setup floppies *in the dell* boot some os that has DOS support and run "MAKEDISK" from the CD root.

If the boot floppy is okay and the errors come with the next floppies, it's likely the Dell needs "special" floppy drivers that are not on the setup disks... but I'm just guessing here - I don't know the Dell model... maybe someone else can give us a hint?

Cheers
Thomas

Date: 20 Jun, 2005 on 14:09
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
3. Re:System can't find A drive

wombatf (20 Jun, 2005 13:07):
I've installed OS/2 Warp 3 on a Dell Latitude CPi.
The drive begins to spin, but i always get the
error codes sys0049 and sys0031 - device doesn't work.

What it also could be is that the system itself isn't supported; I tried to google around and found that it has hot swappable diskette drive and this hardware interface might not be possible work together with OS2 at all. My suggestion, if you want to jump quick further, is to use the USB-port to attach an USB-based diskette drive. By that there is no need to spend time to hazzle with the included 3.5" diskette drive.

Date: 20 Jun, 2005 on 14:39
Radek
Premium member
in user

since: 17 Jul, 2003
4. Re:System can't find A drive
I don't think that the floppy drive on Dell is operated specifically, floppy is "too standard" so that the floppy should be operated the same way on all machines. Some additions are possible but the basis should be the same. I suspect the floppy drive geometry. Explanation:

It happens sometimes that a diskette formated in one drive is unreadable in another drive, like Warpcafe has said. In this case, you will get "drive not ready" and similar errors even if the diskette is okay. The sys0031 and sys0049 belong to this kind of errors.

You can detect whether it is the case the following way:

1. Get some DOS system diskette somewhere and start the Dell from the diskette. Or, if you have some operating system on the Dell then use the (current) operating system.
2. Start DOS from the diskette (or from the current operating system) and try reading the first OS/2 diskette. The "dir" command is enough for the test. The first and second OS/2 diskettes are normal DOS readable FAT16 diskettes.
3. If you get "drive not ready" like errors then try the diskette in another machine.
4. If the diskette is now readable then it is the geometry most likely. If the diskette is unreadable again then the diskette is bad most likely.

If it is the geometry and you are installing from diskettes, then you will need to find a "bridging machine", where you can read your OS/2 diskettes and where you can format diskettes, which are readable on your Dell. If you succeed then prepare heap of new diskettes and create a new set of installation diskettes using the "bridging machine" by means of duplicating them.

IIRC, the loaddf.zip from hobbes contains the needed programs for duplicating, that means, savedsk.exe and loaddskf.exe (or how they are called). One of them creates a disk image of a diskette on your HD, the second copies the image on a diskette. I am not sure whether they are DOS programs and not OS/2 programs. Let's hope they are. Perhaps, somebody knows more.

If you are lucky enough and have a CD then you can create installation diskettes using makedisk.exe (or .bat?) from your CD, both the needed images and loadskf.exe are on your CD. Prepare needed diskettes, start DOS on your Dell somehow, start makedisk from the CD, and create a new set of installation diskettes. You don't need any "bridging machine". You can do that no matter whether the geometry is too different or whether the original diskettes are bad.

Date: 20 Jun, 2005 on 15:08
melf
Normal member
in user

since: 11 Apr, 2003
5. Re:System can't find A drive
I also have a Dell Cpi, and I had, in the beginning a non-functioning floppy drive. If that is the same problem that you have it is easily solved. There is a setting in bios called SMART CPU MODE, you have to set it "DISABLE". There is a little remark about it in bios referring to certain older OS:s and floppy problems. What you also should do in bios is to set BOOT POST in "THOROUGH", otherwise bios does not detect your pcmcia-slots.Third, you should set AUDIO MODE in "FULL DUPLEX" otherwise sond does not function.

I hope this also works for you!

Date: 20 Jun, 2005 on 22:03
wombatf
Normal member
in user

since: 20 Jun, 2005
6. Re:System can't find A drive
Thank's a lot melf.

Disabling smart cpu mode solves my problem!

---
FM

Date: 21 Jun, 2005 on 09:48
System can't find A drive
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: