Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
New motherboard, SOYO?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Dave
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.theblackriver.net
since: 23 Dec, 2004
1. New motherboard, SOYO?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hi
Longtime OS/2 user (2.1)
Plan to upgrade IndelibleBlue DFI 486 (yes, 9+ years old) and have to keep some ISA compat.

Is there a motherboard list?

I found a board I like, SOYO SYP41 845PEISA

Anyone know about SOYO boards and OS/2 compat?

TIA

Dave Palmer
Date: 28 Jun, 2005 on 18:41
fluxit
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 29 Jun, 2005
2. Re:New motherboard, SOYO?

Dave (28 Jun, 2005 18:41):

TIA

I can vouch for the above model. I've been running Warp 4.5 on it with a celeron 2.8G for 8 months(IIRC) now. I purchased this particular board so that I could continue to use my SB32 Awe. The onboard NIC works well. Overall stability is excellent.

--Lee

Date: 29 Jun, 2005 on 07:27
Dave
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.theblackriver.net
3. Re:New motherboard, SOYO?
Lee
Thanks for the encouraging email.

Glad you had a good experience.

I hope I do too.

Dave

Date: 29 Jun, 2005 on 19:33
osw
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 05 Apr, 2005
4. Re:New motherboard, SOYO?
Do you realy need isa compatible mobo in a.d 2005? Of course there are other interesting pieces of hardware suported by current versions of warp or ecs, like isa graphic cards, serial port mouses and esdi hard disk? The question is reason to do it nowadays. Ave32? I can pick up used sblive! 5.1 or even audigy2 for about 15$ here in Poland, where I live. We are not the cheapest country in the world... so I can safely assume you can catch something like that everywhere ... (maybe it does not applay to North Korea...)
We can no longer consider warp as modern system if we demand it to have support every obsolete piece of junk we find .
The only justification for to have isa card under warp is good legacy app not supporting newer hardware . IN ANY OTHER CASE - so when you plan to use warp as a modern desktop multimedia and/or internet system for instance, it is better to buy newest SUPPORTED hardware. My private experience with many flavours of warp (3.0 + ) tells that there is no sense to force it to operate on weak or antiquated machines (yes it runs ... even smooth but it's not what we expecting from computers in 21 century)
We are complaining about lack of drivers for os/2. How can it change if we will still recycle junk and not to buy new devices. Hello! There are 64 bit entering market, don't you know. You want to use 32-bit operating system so why asking about 16-bit slots and cards? Don't you want to know what can your os/2 ?
No more isa's and floppies...

And one more thing, if its new motherboard with isa slot it must be priced higher than equivalent without.... so perhaps the difference let you buy pci replacement.
My advice is - if you don't realy need it, DO NOT USE ISA ANY LONGER there will be no ISA'S RETURN im sure, this slot will just waste of place on mobo sooner or later.

Date: 29 Jun, 2005 on 21:34
Sebadoh
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.newterrasoftware.com
since: 10 Apr, 2001
5. Re:New motherboard, SOYO?

Dave (28 Jun, 2005 18:41):
Hi
Longtime OS/2 user (2.1)
Plan to upgrade IndelibleBlue DFI 486 (yes, 9+ years old) and have to keep some ISA compat.

Is there a motherboard list?

TIA

If you need the ISA compatiblity it isn't bad, I am using it on my wifes computer, on the other hand I really dislike Soyo long term reliability is questionable as well as their quality control.

Date: 30 Jun, 2005 on 04:13
user_ecs
Normal member
in user

since: 25 Feb, 2005
6. Re:New motherboard, SOYO?
I agree with OSW.

If you had a really expensive ISA ($1,000 telephony, etc) card I could see buying an ISA motherboard.

I use to have a SoundBlaster AWE card years ago. Paid quite a bit of money for it just like you did.

But OS/2 and eComStation did not die. In fact OS/2 has better driver suppost today than in 1999.

Sound cards to try
Soundblaster Live 5.1 (most models, esp "value")
approx $30

C-Media 8738 based
approx $15
updated driver was just uploaded to Hobbes today!
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-viewer?sh=1&fname=/pub/incoming/cmedia020.zip
there are even sound drivers for some onboard sound chips. But do your research.

osw (29 Jun, 2005 21:34):
Do you realy need isa compatible mobo in a.d 2005?
Date: 30 Jun, 2005 on 19:05
Dave
Normal member
in user

7. Re:New motherboard, SOYO?
Thanks for the feedback.
I've been working on an Independence Day celebration and away from OS2 World boards for some time.

I do have a crying need for a legacy app. I have lots of text scanning and OCR to do. I am not aware of any SOHO app for OS/2.

I have a great OCR app (Windows) and device (HP scanner) that use a SCSI board in an ISA slot. The software OCR accuracy rate is close to 100% every time and it works for me.

The board is unique to the HP device. Some have tried to use a PCI SCSI card with mixed results.

I don't like mixed results. I need this device to work and be useful on my OS/2 system.

I could buy a USB scanner, get a copy of Windows XP, and buy another mobo but I want to stay OS/2.

The SOYO has ISA, PCI, USB,etc., etc. is a P4 and for someone like me who is finally (after 10 years) leaping into the present - it will more than serve my purpose.

I am curious about the SOYO reliability comment. Anyone want to fill me in on this?

Thanks
Dave

---
Dave Palmer

Date: 03 Jul, 2005 on 19:45
osw
Normal member
in user

since: 05 Apr, 2005
8. Re:New motherboard, SOYO?
WOW!!

Ok, today you've managed to find a mobo for your vintage ex-scusi-me scanner running on aged 16-bit windoze/os2 session (Bill would be proud of you) . But what are your going to do tomorrow? Your scanner has limited lifetime (mechanics, leds) and I belive it is closer to its end.... with every single page you put under its cover. Will you hunt for another old scanner? Quit your job? Switch to .... windoze? Don't you want usb and xp? That's more than ok. No true os/2 lover wants to see that stupid MY ICONS on screen. But why don't you ask about usb scanner and native os/2 OCR. Well, it seems harder today, as only epson usb scanners are confirmed to work under os/2:

http://www.os2warp.be/index2.php?name=usbscanners

But owners of different brands are not without any chance:

http://www.os2world.com/cgi-bin/news/viewnews.cgi?category=2&id=1119795456

So I belive support for more usb scanners will come true this year. (as well as for usb webcams...) and perhaps it will also give you access to usb scanners in windoze/2 sessions... as it gives to usb printers.

And what about native OCR solutions under warp?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OS2-OCR

Back in 90' I've played a while with Recognita for os/2 and it was working well, at least for me. So even 10 years ago I didn't need to run windoze box under warp to perform such task.

Do you think that current os/2 native OCR'S recognition accuracy level is about 5 %, or so? Of course we can assume that OCR technology froze in 1994 and nothing better will occur. Can you? Did you check it?

If you are happy with your current solution (old scanner with old isa (same old scsi) interface card and old windoze based 16 bit soft) then - go on (maybe you should build separate win 3.1 only box for that purpose and don't bother with warp? I'm not against working solutions. I'm against short term (and complex) solutions.

Greetings/2
osw

PROTECTONLY=YES!!!

Date: 03 Jul, 2005 on 23:02
cyberspittle
Premium member
in user

since: 09 Dec, 2002
9. Re:New motherboard, SOYO?
Recycling is good for Dave and good for the world. Let's think about disposing used computer components for a while and think about the heavy metals and other toxic elements contained in modern computing devices.

OK, I've thought enough about that.

Dave, I'm happy you found what you are looking for. I'm glad there is a modern motherboard with backwards compatibility. I didn't know they still existed. Me personally, I never throw anything away. I never replace a computer, I just add one to the LAN. For legacy apps, I use a legacy computer. I have an old 486 for OS/2 2.1 and MS-DOS. And newer systems for OS/2 Warp 4/Windows 98 and also eCS/Windows XP.

It is good to know about Epson. I may finally get a scanner, as USB is pretty darn good with eComStation.

Date: 04 Jul, 2005 on 18:06
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
10. Re:New motherboard, SOYO?
Dave,

I'm glad to hear you've found a board which will work and contains the ISA bus you require. I too am someone who prefers to continue using older equipment rather then sending it to a landfill. And in the case of scanners, their usual life expectancy in a regular home use situation is said to be around 20 years. My own scanner was bought around 10 years ago and still works great, in fact I often seem to get better quality scans then friends of mine who have "brand new" equipment. I have no desire to replace it any time soon.

Just my $0.02

Date: 05 Jul, 2005 on 22:04
Dave
Normal member
in user

11. Re:New motherboard, SOYO?
Thanks for the words of support for the old scanner.

It works.

There isn't anything else comparable in the OS/2 world.

I've been using OS/2 since 2.1 and no one need worry about my interest in it, or my wish that it were still alive.

I've viewed the OS2-OCR yahoo board.

Those guys are still looking for a solution.

When it comes to photos or artwork I'll use SANE and a current scanner under OS/2. When it comes to text and reliable, document feeder, accurate OCR, I'll stick with what works - if something better comes along, so much the better.

Thanks for the help on mobo selection. I'll close this topic here and wish you all well.

---
Dave Palmer

Date: 06 Jul, 2005 on 05:45
New motherboard, SOYO?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: