Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
R40 Thinkpad and DOS-VDM memory question
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Mike Luther
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 12 Aug, 2005
1. R40 Thinkpad and DOS-VDM memory question
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Just in R40 from Depot Service and new mainboard with latest BIOS seems not able to disable EGA/VGA video for any DOS-VDM session when any DOS Session Setting choice for VIDEO_MODE_Restriction is set to CGA or MONO. This is MCP2, Fix Pack XRC_05, and the Passport Advantage 2.2.0 IBM SD next to latest video driver package of last February, 2005, which I just installed on it when it arrived.

Normally on a 'standard' DOS-VDM session with upper memory and DOS loaded high in the DOS-VDM sessions, plus the standard upper memory limit in DOS for 640MB, you will see about the following at the MEM report in a DOS-VDM window session:

653312 bytes total memory
651264 bytes available for DOS
558000 largest executable program size

Per all the years of OS/2 here, and all the documentation, as well as the session setting prompts, if you set the mode restriction to CGA or MONO, you'll get to use a major increase in memory up to about the following in dozens of other boxes I've worked with:

752640 bytes total memory
752640 bytes available for DOS
671840 largest executable program size

This 'new' mainboard R40 *CANNOT* apparently properly shift to the CGA or MONO mode. Even if I set it to that video mode restriction, the available memory doesn't ever increase hardly at all!

Moreover, a comparison with an older DOS video checking utility for a myriad of 'normal' vs. this 'new' R40 Tpad shows:

VIDMODES EXE 5120 9-30-86 9:27p

On any 'normal' OS/2 box with the CGA restriction enabled we get more or less
the following from VIDMODES:

C:\U>vidmodes
CGA or CGA clone board is installed.
Current screen mode is 3, and active page 0, 80
columns wide.

Now on the 'defective' R40 or whatever, even with CGA restriction:

C:\U>vidmodes
256K EGA board is installed, in color mode, dipswitch setting 09 hex.
EGA info byte at 487 hex is 60.
Current screen mode is 3, and active page 0, 80
columns wide.

In other words, for the R40 incantation of OS/2 MCP2, XRC_05 this, as far as I can see is broken, somehow.

Can anyone here who has an R40 on OS/2, various OS/2 versions, Fix Packs, or video operations, confirm or deny this with data that would help me debug this?

Thank you!

--> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

Mike Luther
Mike.Luther@ziplog.com

Date: 12 Aug, 2005 on 23:10
R40 Thinkpad and DOS-VDM memory question
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: