Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
Resolving conflict for 2 identical NIC for OS2
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
kenken
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 16 Nov, 2005
1. Resolving conflict for 2 identical NIC for OS2
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hi!

Can anyone here could help me on my conflict issue for two identical Network Interface Card(NIC).

I've try to install two IBM EtherJet PCI card into my OS2 machine and, I've encounter some message saying that there are driver issues for my two identical as, the OS2 would not load the drivers cos, it got two identical NIC in my system.

Can any 1 help!!!!

Date: 16 Nov, 2005 on 03:41
Stuart
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 16 Jul, 2003
2. Re:Resolving conflict for 2 identical NIC for OS2
When I had two Intel NICs in a box, there was a setting within MPTS which allowed for an ID to be attached to the card. I've just tried looking, but MPTS isn't responding on this system. I seem to remember that it was in the properties of the adapter.

HTH,
Stuart

Date: 16 Nov, 2005 on 09:16
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

since: 26 Nov, 2002
3. Re:Resolving conflict for 2 identical NIC for OS2
Hi,

usually there should be one ore more ways to specifiy WHICH card the driver is referring to - but this is depending on the driver options supported.
I know that there's drivers that can be specified either an I/O-adress, pci slot, irq or whatever to make them distinuish between multiple identical cards... but: With PnP assigning resources I can't tell how good this might work or not. And I can't tell if your adapter (driver) handles this kind of identification. Try to look into the drivers README file (if any) of if there is a ".NIF" file which contains comments (sometimes they do).

Ehhh... IBM EtherJet you say? ...going to take a look into this.

Greetings (keeping fingers crossed)
Thomas

Date: 16 Nov, 2005 on 11:02
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

since: 26 Nov, 2002
4. Re:Resolving conflict for 2 identical NIC for OS2
Kenken,

I just checked what my eCS provides in matter of NIC information: I am not sure if I can identify your EtherJet PCI card correctly from what you said above, but...:

In my systems "ibmfeeo2.nif" that claims to be used for "IBM 10/100 EtherJet PCI Adapter", there's a parameter called "SLOT" which is used to identify the adapter if there's more than one of them installed. I'll try to translate the german help text here:
(This is the help text that is displayed within MPTS configuration when selecting the adapter and editing its settings...)

"SLOT: This parameter is only required for systems having more than one adapter installed. If there is more than one PCI adapter installed, proceed as follows: 1) Finish the configuration dialog without entering anything in the SLOT field for the adapters installed. 2) reboot the system and note the displayed contents of the slot assignments by the drivers. 3) For each driver, enter one of the parameters (exclusively) that were displayed at bootup."

So this means, that if you have two of them installed, you'll need to launch MPTS.EXE and proceed to the NIC config. Then add TWO of the EtherJet drivers to your configuration. Next, reboot the system and watch what the drivers are displaying as the "slot assigment" for each card. Back in MPTS, edit the driver parameters and add one slot number displayed for each of the drivers exclusively. That should do it.

Greetings from Cologne, Germany
Thomas

Date: 16 Nov, 2005 on 14:10
dljone9
Premium member
in user

since: 13 Jan, 2003
5. Re:Resolving conflict for 2 identical NIC for OS2

kenken (16 Nov, 2005 03:41):
Hi!

Can anyone here could help me on my conflict issue for two identical Network Interface Card(NIC).

I've try to install two IBM EtherJet PCI card into my OS2 machine and, I've encounter some message saying that there are driver issues for my two identical as, the OS2 would not load the drivers cos, it got two identical NIC in my system.

Can any 1 help!!!!

In addition the good suggestion that you look at the SLOT
parameter...use the INTEL PRO/100 driver instead. It's the
exact same chipset, and Intel updates this driver several
times per year. I think it's a terrific card, byt the way - use it
in several of my systems.

Date: 16 Nov, 2005 on 16:58
Resolving conflict for 2 identical NIC for OS2
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: