Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
OS/2 (eCS) and large memory..
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
calmssea
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 12 Jun, 2005
1. OS/2 (eCS) and large memory..
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hi..i have come across an issue that I can't explain why...

Problem is I am running eCS 1.2, with 104 Kernel, running with 2G of memory.

Most of the time, the system runs quite nice, and I can see plenty of memory even when I am pushing the system to it's full. (I have been able to use up to 1700MB so far...)

Problem happened today. I started to see sys0008 errors. The explaination says I am out of memory! My XWidgets show that I have plenty of memory to use.

So I did some experiements.
Upon fresh boot, I started up FireFox, Thunderbird, OOO 1.1.5, and VPC.
Everything seemed normal. But suddenly, thunderbird just quit itself, and I can't start thunderbird again! Then I quit firefox, and I can't restart firefox again. I quit OOO, and then I could start firefox, but still not thunderbird. I quit VPC, and now I lost firefox.

I am not really sure why these problems are heppening, but only guessing some very low level problem is hanging around.

At this point, I started Netscape 4.61, and it would run fine...until I tried to restart Netscape. SYS0008...

I could start PMView quite fine...so I am lost!

My only guess? I don't know! I was using my PC just fine till yesterday without any problems! Of course since I have a tape backup, I can resume to the point where it was still OK, but it is quite frustrating to see thing like this...And even if I restore, I am going to have to setup the apps once again..

Any ideas? I ran memtest CD and my memory seems to be quite fine..

Date: 29 Nov, 2005 on 16:45
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 10 Aug, 2004
2. Re:OS/2 (eCS) and large memory..
Could be conflicting DLL's. I've seen problems when trying to run Firefox and Thunderbird at the same problem.

When you start up Firefox and / or Thuderbird, are you starting them from a CMD file, or just running the EXE? I generally recommend the CMD file method, because that way you can set the BEGINLIBPATH and BEGINPATH before starting up the app.

If you do this, then you're less likely to have the apps try and access DLL's that have the same name but are somewhat different. I found that FireFox and Thunderbird were both quite unstable until I did this on my own machine.

As for OOO115, I have not yet upgraded to it, so I'm not sure what's up there. I can say that the other apps you're running (OOO and VPC) both make use in some form or another of Innotek's Odin port, (at least I think VPC does, I know OOO does), so there could still be DLL issues. Try setting the Beginlibpath's and Beginpath's for those too and see if the problem goes away.

Good luck.

Date: 29 Nov, 2005 on 17:39
Glenn
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.roches-noires.net
since: 19 Sep, 2003
3. Re:OS/2 (eCS) and large memory..
This problem happens to me too ! After I upgraded from 1GB to 2GB last year in order to run VPC comfortably, I started getting SYS0008 errors. The tips people gave me on the newsgroups were uneffective. If mozilla is loaded, then I cannot even compile a LaTeX file with VTeX/2 : the first time I run vlatexp it is OK, the second time I get this out of memory error... It did not happen with only 1GB of memory, and up to now I do not know how to solve this issue. I was told to put dllbasing=off as the first line in config.sys, to play with DOS=high/low, UMB/NOUMB, but this does not change anything. And winos/2 or DOS command line do not work all the time because of that too...
Date: 29 Nov, 2005 on 18:21
calmssea
Normal member
in user

4. Re:OS/2 (eCS) and large memory..
hmmm
Well, I am not sure Mozilla/Thunderbird/Firebird thing could be of cause. It was true on the < ver 1.0 days, but I have never seen recently...

Only thing I am guessing is that until today, I have not really been playing around VPC on and off. So it seems the problem was there from start, but I have never noticed since today...(As we bad OS/2 users, I tend to leave the Apps up and running as long as they can, and since I have 2G of memory to waste....)

Maybe I will try with 1G of ram and see if that helps. I don't really like the idea, but if reducing the memory should help, I could give it a try.....

Date: 29 Nov, 2005 on 18:55
calmssea
Normal member
in user

5. Re:OS/2 (eCS) and large memory..
quite sad..
I tried to isolate the problem by taking a look into the shared memory area and all other possible ways with SW, without any success.

But when I took out 2 sticks of memory to make it 2G, previous problems are gone...

So....what should i say?

At some point in my eCS, it refuses to work properly with systems with 2G of memory, but would work with 1G of memory. (Well, so much for consolidation of systems..)

Now my system won't run VPC and Thunderbird with SYS0008. (After firing up and closing multiple applications to test the system)

At this point, I am thinking some code at VPC is not compatible with such configuration. But at the same time the fact that Thunderbird is not working, I would guess some part of libc is not working or innotek modules are not large memory friendly...? (I don't have a tracer to back that theory though... and i don't want to blame anyone here)

Too bad VPC is no longer supported...At this point, I think I have an option to reduce my memory to 1G and continue use as is, (since 1G is quite an amount of memory) or try to test with 1.5G? (replace my sticks for less memory and some cash? hehe)

I am running out of night here in Korea, so I think I am going for the bed and think about this problem tomorrow..

Date: 29 Nov, 2005 on 19:16
calmssea
Normal member
in user

6. Re:OS/2 (eCS) and large memory..
last updated at 29 Nov, 2005 19:43 (1 times)
K.. I think I have spammed this topic..

But just before going to bed, this idea came to me and i did an experiement.
I reduced my JFS cache size from 192MB to 64MB.

Now I have full access to all apps. I mean no more SYS0008.
It was not VPC, was not libc or anything..

Strange? hmm it is so..

Now, I wonder why this is happening but as for now, I think I have my big fat memory in full charge once again.

I am going to have to work as I would to be absolutely sure, but now it turns out that JFS cache was the problem?

Well, it's better to see my system working as should...

And for Glenn, I think you would like to try lowering your JFS cache size to 64M for a chance. Maybe it can solve your problems too.

Date: 29 Nov, 2005 on 19:42
mobybrick
Normal member
in user

since: 23 Jul, 2004
7. Re:OS/2 (eCS) and large memory..
Hmmm, I wouldn't be suprised if there was some limitation on JFS.IFS's combined ability to handle a) such a large cache size and b) such a large amount of system memory.

HPFS386 used to have similar problems in the days it wouldn't go above 64Mb cache size - only in later revisions (and after loadsa APARs) would it go to a max of 256Mb without compromising system stability.

Cheers,
Moby.

Date: 30 Nov, 2005 on 01:44
calmssea
Normal member
in user

8. Re:OS/2 (eCS) and large memory..
if it's the case, maybe there should be a test for various environments for JFS cache size.

You know, memory is dirt cheap these days!
You don't have to spend $3000 to get 32MB any more..

So for me, 64MB sounds pretty reasonable amount of cache, but for those with large file serving needs, more is always better.

Date: 30 Nov, 2005 on 02:32
OS/2 (eCS) and large memory..
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: