Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
SMP, Hyperthreading with new ACPI drivers?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
cytan
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 05 Dec, 2003
1. SMP, Hyperthreading with new ACPI drivers?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hi,
I just went on the ecomstation website and there is an announcement about the new ACPI drivers enabling Ecomstation to be SMP'ed, and hyperthreaded.

Reading further in the the ACPI-SMP.doc, it seems that a multiprocessor version of Ecomstation is needed. Well, before I plonk down money to get a multiprocessor enabled Ecomstation I'd like to know if anyone has tried the new ACPI with a 3.2 GHz hyperthreaded CPU? And does it show 2 processors?

Thanks for any info

cytan

Date: 06 Dec, 2005 on 22:43
Stuart
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 16 Jul, 2003
2. Re:SMP, Hyperthreading with new ACPI drivers?
I think you might have it round the wrong way - the ACPI driver doesn't make eCS SMP aware, the SMP version of eCS does that, and the new ACPI driver now works with SMP systems.

Stuart

Date: 06 Dec, 2005 on 23:13
cytan
Premium member
in user

3. Re:SMP, Hyperthreading with new ACPI drivers?
I'm sure I'm just trying to confuse myself . I had always thought that even with the SMP enabled Ecomstation kernel, hyperthreading is not supported. So what does this quote from Ecomstation website mean?

eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now
(equipped with SMP, DualCore and HyperThreading CPUs).

cytan

Stuart (06 Dec, 2005 23:13):
I think you might have it round the wrong way - the ACPI driver doesn't make eCS SMP aware, the SMP version of eCS does that, and the new ACPI driver now works with SMP systems.

Stuart

Date: 06 Dec, 2005 on 23:16
osw
Normal member
in user

since: 05 Apr, 2005
4. Re:SMP, Hyperthreading with new ACPI drivers?

cytan (06 Dec, 2005 23:16):
I'm sure I'm just trying to confuse myself . I had always thought that even with the SMP enabled Ecomstation kernel, hyperthreading is not supported. So what does this quote from Ecomstation website mean?

eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now
(equipped with SMP, DualCore and HyperThreading CPUs).

cytan

Stuart (06 Dec, 2005 23:13):

Stuart

Hi!
To my understanding, a newest acpi driver is supposed to "enable" using multicore and multithreading features of new processors on smp/2 kernel. So, in theory hyper threading should work now with smp/2 as well as multicores.
So we need someone with deep pocket to test it...

greetings/2

Date: 07 Dec, 2005 on 08:40
cytan
Premium member
in user

5. Re:SMP, Hyperthreading with new ACPI drivers?
Well, I just got an answer from Pavel Schtemenko on the betazon.ecomstation forums. Here's the answer to the question as to whether 3.2GHz hyperthreading can be enabled in ecomstation:

Yes. For HT as 2 CPU instead 1, you must to have SMP kernel. But! Check your configuration. Now same device drivers don't support IRQ > 15

Next step is whether to wait for the next version of ecomstation or to buy now.

cytan

Date: 07 Dec, 2005 on 20:54
Grimus
Normal member
in user

since: 14 Jul, 2005
6. Re:SMP, Hyperthreading with new ACPI drivers?
Wait until it's stable and usable. By this time, eCS 2.0 (at least beta) should be out - maybe they put SMP in as a standard feature for the multi-core generation?

Cheers
Andreas

PS.: I have SMP running here on a dual Opteron - it's not providing that much additional benefit (+ some apps do not work correctly with SMP!)

Date: 13 Dec, 2005 on 16:25
cytan
Premium member
in user

7. Re:SMP, Hyperthreading with new ACPI drivers?
Thanks it's good to know. I gotta know how much my heating bills gonna be before doing this anyhow .

cytan

Grimus (13 Dec, 2005 16:25):
Wait until it's stable and usable. By this time, eCS 2.0 (at least beta) should be out - maybe they put SMP in as a standard feature for the multi-core generation?

Cheers
Andreas

PS.: I have SMP running here on a dual Opteron - it's not providing that much additional benefit (+ some apps do not work correctly with SMP!)

Date: 13 Dec, 2005 on 20:27
Sander
Normal member
in user

since: 20 Feb, 2003
8. Re:SMP, Hyperthreading with new ACPI drivers?

Grimus (13 Dec, 2005 16:25):

Cheers
Andreas

Can you tell us specifically which applications will not work correctly with SMP? Is there a listing somewhere?

Thanks,
Sander Nyman

Date: 13 Dec, 2005 on 20:33
cytan
Premium member
in user

9. Re:SMP, Hyperthreading with new ACPI drivers?
O is it possible for you to run some benchmarks? It'll be interesting to see the difference between single and dual processor ops. The more interesting benchmark for me would be 3.2GHz hyperthreading on/off. I think this might be a good article for OS/2 ezine for whoever is interested in doing this.

cytan

Date: 13 Dec, 2005 on 20:34
abwillis
Premium member
in user

since: 21 Mar, 2003
10. Re:SMP, Hyperthreading with new ACPI drivers?

cytan (13 Dec, 2005 20:34):
O is it possible for you to run some benchmarks? It'll be interesting to see the difference between single and dual processor ops. The more interesting benchmark for me would be 3.2GHz hyperthreading on/off. I think this might be a good article for OS/2 ezine for whoever is interested in doing this.

cytan

Asking about the HT and SMP, OS/2 would see two 1.6 GHz processors. Therefore it is qestionable how the performance will pan out. It is likely to vary greatly by the apps being run.
Andy

Date: 13 Dec, 2005 on 21:41
cytan
Premium member
in user

11. Re:SMP, Hyperthreading with new ACPI drivers?
last updated at 13 Dec, 2005 23:49 (1 times)
A few good tests like they did at Tom's hardware place with windows

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/06/03/dual_core_stress_test/page28.html

but we'll do it with OS/2 smp on/off might be interesting.

cytan

Date: 13 Dec, 2005 on 23:47
SMP, Hyperthreading with new ACPI drivers?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: