Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
Questions about PCMCIA Support (and more) on a Netfinity 7000 M10...
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
RobertM
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 16 Aug, 2004
1. Questions about PCMCIA Support (and more) on a Netfinity 7000 M10...
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
last updated at 17 Jun, 2006 23:18 (2 times)
Hi everyone!

I recently purchased a massive Netfinity 7000 M10 on eBay. Beautiful machine, IBM certified for OS/2 Warp Server and WSeB BUT I noticed one issue with it and additionally have some questions I am hoping someone can help with.

Question 1... the machine came with 4 PIII 550/100's (550MHz, 100MHz FSB). Can I upgrade them to 800/100 CPUs? There are jumper settings for CPU speed and CPU FS bus speed, but both tech and user manuals only indicate "Jumpers (some number I forget at the moment) allow you to set the CPU frequency and CPU bus frequency" and then list examples for 400-550MHz at 100MHz FSB. Some of the older Dual CPU Netfinity's had an option for allowing the System Bus to auto determine CPU and FSB (if the CPU was a PIII as opposed to a PII which the duals I had also supported). Either way, the wording in both manuals implies that since the FSB is settable, that 100MHz isnt the only speed, and additionally, I'd suspect ranges greater than 550MHz CPU speed are supported as well. Any ideas on jumper settings or how to set it to auto-detect?

Question 2... the machine has a PCMCIA slot that OS/2 or Windoze can use with Netfinity and a token ring/modem card to report hardware or software related issues. Can this card slot be used for a wireless NIC like an Cisco Aironet 350? (I know the machine has 3 NICs, but I'm pretty far from a wired port, and already have an extra Aironet so dont want to have to buy a bridge).

As for the issue... the machine has "built-in" video (not quite, it's on an expansion board - but that board handles near a dozen other functions on the machine, so it might as well be built in). The Tech Manual and machine's User Manual (more like a book) states that the machine's video can be upgraded by adding a PCI video card to any of the PCI expansion slots, at which time the BIOS will automatically turn off the on-daughterboard one and use the installed one.

My problem is it does not seem to work. In contrast, the machine locks during the POST (no display) or seems to be proceeding through the POST but still has no display (in both cases on either video output or occassionally display on the built-in but not the new card). [The POST, btw, is displayed on an LED display on the front of the case - hence I know it starts it's POST, proceeds pretty far (it's got a very long POST), then hangs].

Any ideas?

The new card is an ATI 9250 PCI 128MB card and does work. Haven't yet acquired another PCI card to test with but trying to.

Is it only compatible with certain cards? Is there a memory addressing limit (how much max can the card have?) There is no way in the BIOS to disable the onboard - your options are automatic detect... or automatic detect , and when I do get a display on the built-in, the ATI is an unrecognized card in the PCI bus report. I'd try a BIOS flash, but I am kinda squemish about flashing the BIOS on a machine that has boards that control boards that control other boards to function like one computer (this thing is a beast with 17 hot swappable PCI/PCI64 slots, 3 separatePCI busses, seperate system management bus, 2 separate memory risers and separate memory bus, 3 NICs, PCMCIA, 3 Power Supplies, separate CPU bus and 4 CPUs). I'm not worried about having to reinstall. Not much on the machine at the moment, so if the danger of flashing the BIOS is only data loss, that's fine, but if the danger exists of having a 130lb coffee table because the machine no longer does anything; then I'd rather not try it. And as for finding a CMOS battery or some such equivalent or some method of resetting the BIOS if I screw up, I wouldnt even know where to begin to look. As it is, even if you literally unplug this beast, it stays on for 10-15 seconds (power filtering hardware in the PS's I think discharging over that time).

Sorry such a long post. All in all it's a beautiful, sturdy machine (which is a good thing since FedEx dropped it off the truck straight to the floor). It flies, but 65K colors and the built in ancient video kinda are dissappointing with the rest of the power at this creature's disposal. I'd love to try DVDs or Odin and VPC on it with a decent video card.

Thanks all,
Robert

Date: 17 Jun, 2006 on 23:16
Questions about PCMCIA Support (and more) on a Netfinity 7000 M10...
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: