Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
New motherboard needed
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Marc
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 14 Jul, 2006
1. New motherboard needed
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
My trusty old Gigabyte mb fried the other day. Bought another one same brand but it won't work. Can anyone recomend a brand that works with OS/2?
I need 3 pci slots. Model number and best place to buy would be appreciated. I'm running a SCSCI system.
I'm lost without my OS/2. Running Wincrash is killing me.

Thanks for any help

Date: 14 Jul, 2006 on 22:33
Pete
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 14 Aug, 2003
2. Re:New motherboard needed
Hi Marc

Well, a bit of a vague question as you do not say what cpu it is going to have installed.

If it is any help I am happily using an Asus A8N-E with an AMD64 3000+ cpu, onboard sound (uniaud driver) and nic (genmac wrapper) working fine, IDE and SATA2 are supported by the Danis506.add, 3*PCI slots with an Adaptec 29160N SCSI card occupying 1 slot, using an ATI X600 PCI-e graphics card with the current SNAP driver.

Hope the above is of use.

Pete

Date: 15 Jul, 2006 on 01:08
Marc
Normal member
in user

3. Re:New motherboard needed
Thanks for the info. I will try to stay with AMD. Will see if I can find the board.
I've been using OS/2 for over 20 years and can't imagine going to another os system.
Date: 15 Jul, 2006 on 02:27
Ben Dragon
Premium member
in user

since: 15 Apr, 2004
4. Re:New motherboard needed
I have a Gigabyte K8NF-9 with an AMD 3800+ FX2. Works great with ecs 1.2r.

I bought it in the spring.

The only problem I know of with it, (if you want to call this a problem), is that you can't flash the BIOS without having Windows installed on it.

A very strange policy to be sure, but I haven't seen any BIOS problems.

---

Date: 15 Jul, 2006 on 04:39
Marc
Normal member
in user

5. Re:New motherboard needed
Well guys I tried both motherboards. Both of the ones you mentioned have been replaced by newer versions. Neither worked. Got to the blue screen (revovery) and it locked up with the error being doscall1.dll. The Gigabyte board got as far as loading the RSJ burner drivers and stalled on the UDF driver. I hate to say it but I may have to go to Linux. I've been using OS/2 since version 2.0. It's going to be sad day to say good bye to a good friend that never crashed and was tweaked to perfection.
Date: 17 Jul, 2006 on 02:18
jer
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://os2warpirc.qualitycarpetcare.us
since: 20 Dec, 2003
6. Re:New motherboard needed
Have you considered an upgrade to eComStation v1.2R

OS/2 Warp codebase is very old and extreemly difficult to run on new hardware.eComStation v1.2R installs like a dream on most new hardware available.

Date: 17 Jul, 2006 on 04:19
Pete
Premium member
in user

7. Re:New motherboard needed

Marc (17 Jul, 2006 02:1:
Well guys I tried both motherboards. Both of the ones you mentioned have been replaced by newer versions. Neither worked. Got to the blue screen (revovery) and it locked up with the error being doscall1.dll. The Gigabyte board got as far as loading the RSJ burner drivers and stalled on the UDF driver. I hate to say it but I may have to go to Linux. I've been using OS/2 since version 2.0. It's going to be sad day to say good bye to a good friend that never crashed and was tweaked to perfection.

Hmm, Asus still list the A8N-E as a current product but maybe they are running production down and starting to sell a replacement.

Sorry, I did not realise that you planned to reinstall as well... I have to say that if I had thought of it I would have warned against that.

OS/2 does not install easily on AMD64 systems but will run happily if you just change the maiboard, cpu etc and use the original hard drive - may squeal a bit about drivers and need some tuning when up'n'running. That worked for me when updating the mainboard and keeping the existing hard drive with an eCS1.2 system - a version of eCS that does not install to AMD64 based systems.

The Refresh release of eCS1.2 (1.2R) does install to AMD64 based systems happily in my limited experience.

OS/2 can be persuaded to install on an AMD64 system but you will need to Google for information on how to... should be a few bits from newsgroups that will help. Maybe this link will get you started
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=os/2+and+amd64&hl=en&lr=&sa=X&oi=groups&ct=title

Regards

Pete

Date: 18 Jul, 2006 on 00:31
Marc
Normal member
in user

8. Re:New motherboard needed
Pete,

I did try to re-install. I booted both the install disks and the utility disks and they both trapped out. I've gone through 5 main boards through the years and never had any problems. Have never had problems with AMD, always worked till now. Problem is with the north and south bridge chipsets. If I would have installed the latest DANSI drivers I probably wouldn't be in this fix. Found a computer store in Los Gatos. Guy seems to know OS/2 well. Going to meet with him in Sacramento next week and give him all my hardware and they said they could install e-com on it. Hate to go this way, but don't think I have a choice. I'm a hard core OS/2 user and hate to go e-com (no offense to you e-comers') but if that's the way it goes I'll go with it. If it doesn't work out I'll probably go with Linux
I just hope that all my favorite programs like X-file and X-workplace work with it e-com. It's like staring all over.

Date: 18 Jul, 2006 on 02:34
cyberspittle
Premium member
in user

since: 09 Dec, 2002
9. Re:New motherboard needed
Sorry to hear about your mobo problems. If there is a Bay Area OS/2 meeting ... it would be in Los Gatos. Are you sure you are having mobo problems and not a SCSI card that has flaked out? Also, how good are the SCSI drives attached to that system? Just something to consider, since you went through a few mobos. If I have a chance, I'll try to attend my 1st Bay Area OS/2 meeting as I just moved here. Take care and best of luck.

If you wanted to go with a green mobo, I would recomend the VIA EPIA. I have one and it comes with sound card drivers. I use the Scitech drivers in VBE mode. I got mine from ComputerGate here in the Bay Area. Later.

Date: 18 Jul, 2006 on 03:26
melf
Premium member
in staff

since: 11 Apr, 2003
10. Re:New motherboard needed
last updated at 18 Jul, 2006 23:25 (2 times)

I'm a hard core OS/2 user and hate to go e-com (no offense to you e-comers') but if that's the way it goes I'll go with it. If it doesn't work out I'll probably go with Linux

Hey, why do you hate it? It is OS/2 developed, with another name and you rather go to Linux?? No offense, but why that purity? Times they are changing and we have to change to. What is the bad thing with more effortless installation, with better hardwaresupport and so on. Join us instead!

/Mikael
Date: 18 Jul, 2006 on 23:23
Marc
Normal member
in user

11. Re:New motherboard needed
Guess I'm just depressed sitting here using a Wincrash box. Found a place in Los Gatos. Talked to a guy that knows OS/2 inside out, so I'm meeting him in Sac. next week and give him all my hardware and he's are going to build me a new system. Guess I'm getting too old. Don't like fixing cars and now I don't like building computers either. His price was right so I'll let him do it. Linux was just a last resort but this guy said since I know OS/2 so well, I should stick with it Heck, I even know a trick to get a >8 gig boot drive though who would ever want one that big.
Date: 19 Jul, 2006 on 00:10
melf
Premium member
in staff

since: 11 Apr, 2003
12. Re:New motherboard needed
I see your point. I don't like fixing cars anymore either. I don't even bother to polish it, it looks like hell. But I guess thats the good thing of upgrading to eCS, you don't have to do so much of repearing and polishing. Good luck and hang on!

---
/Mikael
Date: 19 Jul, 2006 on 00:19
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
13. Re:New motherboard needed
eCS is everything I wish OS/2 had but still stay with Warp. eCS is just OS/2 with a new name.

---
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2-eCS.org
Director of Communications
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
supporting the past OS/2 user and the future eCS user
http://www.os2ecs.org
Date: 19 Jul, 2006 on 00:28
Marc
Normal member
in user

14. Re:New motherboard needed
Thanks for the support guys. I'd stay with 4.52 but IBM in it's stupidity made it so hard to get a software subscription that I finally gave up. Really wanted the updated usb drivers. Too bad, IBM had it's chance to blow Micro Suck away with Warp 4.0 but they blew it, but that's another story. On another note, I did it before but forgot now how to do it. How do you get your bookmarks on Mozzila on the tool bar I guess you call it? All I show is "home" and "bookmarks". I'm getting dumb. I used to know all these things.
Date: 19 Jul, 2006 on 02:24
Pete
Premium member
in user

15. Re:New motherboard needed

Marc (18 Jul, 2006 02:34):
Pete,

I did try to re-install. I booted both the install disks and the utility disks and they both trapped out. I've gone through 5 main boards through the years and never had any problems. Have never had problems with AMD, always worked till now. Problem is with the north and south bridge chipsets. If I would have installed the latest DANSI drivers I probably wouldn't be in this fix. Found a computer store in Los Gatos. Guy seems to know OS/2 well. Going to meet with him in Sacramento next week and give him all my hardware and they said they could install e-com on it. Hate to go this way, but don't think I have a choice. I'm a hard core OS/2 user and hate to go e-com (no offense to you e-comers') but if that's the way it goes I'll go with it. If it doesn't work out I'll probably go with Linux
I just hope that all my favorite programs like X-file and X-workplace work with it e-com. It's like staring all over.

As stated before the problem is the move from 32 to 64 bit system - which includes north and southbridge problems.

It is possible to get OS/2 to install but you would need to Google for all instructions and any files needed - the danis drivers alone would not solve the problem but would be part of the solution.

Silly question, really designed for a smile Based on the above "I'm a hard core OS/2 user and hate to go e-com": What is the difference between the systems?

The answer is that eCS have made some changes and improvements to OS/2.

I personally do not like X-workplace but you may be pleased to discover that eCS installs a cutdown version called eWorkPlace - I was pleased to discover that this is not obligatory and can be deselected.

It is even possible to decide to forgo the eCS enhancement stuff and just install an OS/2 Desktop if you run an Advanced Install.

In another post you mention a trick to get OS/2 to install on a > 8Gb drive. How about installing onto a much larger drive? Bootable jfs (currently in testing with the eCS2.0 beta) will cope with very large sizes - not sure why anyone would want to until such time as there is a backup software package that could cope but...

Something else to think about: IBM have killed OS/2 development and support; eCS are continuing to develop and improve the system.

I doubt if you will be too displeased with eCS once you have got it installed and have used it for a few days - you may have initial trouble finding a few things due to the rearrangement of Desktop folders and their contents but that should soon become familiar on a system not very different to Warp4.

As a final tip: If purchasing eCS1.2R also consider purchasing the Software Subscription - that would entitle you to a free upgrade to eCS2.0 later in the year. And do not forget that eCS has "upgrade" prices from Warp3 and 4 which helps a little

Hope it all works out for you.

Pete

Date: 19 Jul, 2006 on 02:47
cyberspittle
Premium member
in user

since: 09 Dec, 2002
16. Re:New motherboard needed
last updated at 19 Jul, 2006 03:33 (1 times)
I use eCS 1.1 and don't even consider it different than OS/2 Warp 4. It is Warp 4, but with all the things needed to keep it going with new hardware. I always loved OS/2 Warp v3, and did enjoy Warp v4 (even though somethings were broke in the scheme palatte). In spite of Warp v4s quirks, I grew to love it. eCS is OS/2 and is actively developed. IBM never really gave us OS/2 user's much of a warm and fuzzy. I upgraded to eCS and never looked back. I'm waiting for eCS 2.0 for my next upgrade. I still have OS/2 2.1, v3, and v4 running, but on older systems that I use less and less each passing day. I know that is a subjective opinion, but hopefully it will allow you to move past IBM and OS/2 v4 and on to eCS.
Date: 19 Jul, 2006 on 03:31
Marc
Normal member
in user

17. Re:New motherboard needed
Pete,
Thanks for the info. I just hope I don't have to start from scratch. I catch on pretty quick, so hopefully by this time next or the next week I'll be running OS/2 again.....I hope.
Again, thanks to all of you, you've made up my mind that I'll stay with OS/2.
Date: 19 Jul, 2006 on 03:37
eCSRD
Normal member
in user

since: 29 Mar, 2005
18. Re:New motherboard needed
last updated at 22 Jul, 2006 08:40 (2 times)
Hello,

I have an ASUS A8N-SLI premium mainboard with an AMD X2 4400+
( dual core CPU ). The video card is an ATI X800 GTO² but it uses a X850 chipset ( nor really supported by SNAP team )

I install eCS 1.2R SMP.
After first install step (VGA mode + SMP + ACPI ), open management console and changed DANIS506 to the very latest build to correct BIOS problems +
install of 07/2006 ACPI driver available from beta zone. (Followed install instruction and added /SMP flag - removed PSD=OS2APIC.PSD and RUN=C:\OS2\APMDAEMN.EXE)
Afer reboot, install continues + SMP feature. At end of step 2, open of management console and install SNAP3.1.6 + a special radeon.bpd file received from systech to recognize x850 chipset and followed they suggestion.
At next reboot, 2 CPU enabled and install ended well. During the install step, I added network but selected no network card installed.
Once eCS was correctly installed. I installed then GENMAC100 + GENMAC17 and added driver on interface 1 for the nvidia nforce4 NIC card. At reboot, network was up and quick speed . For the second NIC card, zapped yukon.zip (hobbes) has to be installed but it needs 2 lines with the same driver to be loaded ot it hung at boot time.
USBEHCI and USBOHCI are only loaded once each while the card has 10 usb ports ! I added an USB printer (it works), I added an USB memory stick on an other USB port and it works too ...

The snap update I received support full acceleration, zoom and multihead. The last problem I had was with seamonkey which didn't work under AMD dual core.. After many investigation and help from other forum, adding following SET instruction into config.sys resolved this seamonkey problem and all is now working as expected.

SET NSPR_OS2_NO_HIRES_TIMER=1

In fact, it corrects a problem into ACPI.
problem was: display, enable/disable button and POP3 timeout etc...

Already installed product: Injoy firewal and norman AV.

Date: 21 Jul, 2006 on 20:12
New motherboard needed
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: