Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
OS/2 CD-ROM drive installation help (Creative CD device on Sound Blaster 16)
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
aTorridGustOfSun
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.discburn.com
since: 09 Jul, 2006
1. OS/2 CD-ROM drive installation help (Creative CD device on Sound Blaster 16)
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hi all,

I have an IBM 350-466DX2 running OS/2 Warp v3.

For some reason, OS/2 won't install/find the CD-ROM device. I think it's a fairly common setup:

It's a Creative Quad-speed CD-ROM drive which is connected to the SoundBlaster 16 card. The jumper on the CD-ROM drive is set to Cable Select (CS).

I tried re-installing the SoundBlaster 16 drivers to no avail. I tried following the directions in the OS/2 warp manual. I tried doing Selective Installs using "OTHER", "Creative Labs OmniCD" and "Non-listed IDE CD-ROM" and nothing has helped so far.

What am I missing here? How can I get this thing working so that I can actually read CDs?

Thanks for any help!

Date: 27 Jul, 2006 on 04:32
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 10 Aug, 2004
2. Re:OS/2 CD-ROM drive installation help (Creative CD device on Sound Blaster 16)
Good question.

I don't know if it is possible to get the Creative Soundblaster CD Rom connector to work under Warp. I havn't used one of those connectors to hook up a CD Rom in years, but as I recall they were tricky to get working under Dos and Windows, so I have no clue about Warp.

It might need a driver update contained in one of the later fixpaks if you havn't installed any fixpaks yet. Fixpak 40 is the last freely available fixpak from IBM for Warp 3, it can be downloaded from:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/fixes/v3.0warp/english-us/xr_w040/

download all those files into a single directory on your hard disk and grab the sfix utility from Hobbes to install the fixpak:

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-search?sh=1&button=Search&key=sfix41&stype=all&sort=type&dir=/

If the Creative card is acting like just another IDE controller, you may be able to get it to work using the Danis506.ADD driver instead of the IBM1S506.ADD. Danis506 properly recognizes a lot of stuff that the IBM driver doesn't work with. Search the Hobbes archive for it.

Another option - do you have any space on your IDE bus to hook up your CD Rom as a slave drive (or if you're lucky and that 486 has 2 IDE controllers, make it a master on a secondary controller). You'll probably have better luck getting things to work and use the "non-listed IDE CD Rom" drive. Or if that CD Rom happens to be one of those older funky drives that only worked with one specific type of controller card, then head on over to some place like

http://newegg.com

and grab yourself a new CD-RW and / or DVD Rom drive. You can pick 'em up for less then $20, and it is much less hassle to use a plain old IDE drive that you know can be made to work. Or if you're willing to spend a little more, for around $35 you can pick up a DVD-RW.

Also, try using the

Date: 27 Jul, 2006 on 05:18
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 26 Nov, 2002
3. Re:OS/2 CD-ROM drive installation help (Creative CD device on Sound Blaster 16)
Hi,

I remember these connectors... phew! That wasn't that easy.
AFAIK, there is also a jumper that either enables/disables the SB oncard IDE controller - have you checked?
Also, I'm not sure if the CS (cable select) settng on the CDR drive will actually work with that type of IDE controller.

Another question would be: What about the onboard/"usual" IDE controllers in your machine? Are there more IDE controllers (controller adapter or onboard connectors) that are enabled by BIOS? Then, chances are that the "third" IDE connector on the SB card won't ever work...
A workaround would be Fahrvenugen's suggestion to attach the CD to one of the existing IDE controllers (make sure the Master/Slave stuff is okay on all devices then).

HTH
Thomas

Date: 27 Jul, 2006 on 11:38
Radek
Premium member
in user

since: 17 Jul, 2003
4. Re:OS/2 CD-ROM drive installation help (Creative CD device on Sound Blaster 16)
IIRC the W3 manual then it *is* possible but you need to patch the installation diskettes. You need to add the driver and specify the parameters (I/O port and so on) for it. It isn't possible to install directly by means of the original installation diskettes.

Therefore, check the W3 manual. I am sure that it contains a section, which is related directly to your problem.

Date: 27 Jul, 2006 on 13:00
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

since: 26 Nov, 2002
5. Re:OS/2 CD-ROM drive installation help (Creative CD device on Sound Blaster 16)
last updated at 27 Jul, 2006 14:17 (1 times)

Radek (27 Jul, 2006 13:00):
Therefore, check the W3 manual. I am sure that it contains a section, which is related directly to your problem.

Yes, Radek is right. I remember there was a readme that contained a sepcial section about SB CD-Rom (wasn't it actually being called something like "sb...cd.sys"?).
With your Warp 3 already installed, I guess you'll have to add the basedev statement along with the parameters manually...

AND HOLD IT!
I just came across that one here:
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/patches/warp_3/cddrvr.zip

After unpacking, it'll give another 5 zips or so, but there's one referring to SoundBlaster which includes a readme.pan text file along with the sbcd2.sys driver (all you need - hopefully).

And also, I found that one here on
http://www.tldp.org/FAQ/faqs/ATAPI-FAQ:

Q9: I just got finished wiring up my Sound Blaster 16 IDE, and the ATAPI drive
isn't detected!

A9: The most likely result of your troubles has to do with the base addressing
of the IDE port on the Sound Blaster. This comes from the factory set to
use the TERTIARY (third. Yes, there is a third and fourth IDE port now, but
so far linux doesn't use them in the latest production kernel.) IDE port.
[...]
A second cause of your problem may be the fact that when Creative Labs
manufactures a CDROM drive, they put the master/slave jumper on the
SLAVE pins. It is pretty likely that the CDROM drive is the only
device on the SoundBlaster IDE interface, and by the definition
of the IDE standard, a single device on any given interface MUST
be jumpered as MASTER. This doesn't bother DOS or any of the other
inferior operating systems, because they are forgiving with regard
to the manufacturer and user screw-ups. Linux is an operating system
for someone that knows their computer fairly well, and it adheres
to standards STRICTLY. [snip]

...so use MASTER or SLAVE accordingly instead of CableSelect just to make sure that it isn't this very setting that's causing the trouble.

Good luck!

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 27 Jul, 2006 on 14:12
RobertM
Premium member
in user

since: 16 Aug, 2004
6. Re:OS/2 CD-ROM drive installation help (Creative CD device on Sound Blaster 16)
last updated at 27 Jul, 2006 19:20 (2 times)
Hey,

Tom and gang are correct on many points... Cable select will not work (on any of the SB16 cards) and I think some require the drive to be set as slave.

And if memory serves, there are multiple versions of the card you are talking about....

This pertains to the 4X CD-ROM drives:

A few of the cards do NOT have an IDE port - even though it looks like they do:
The 40 pin port on them (or at least one of the 40 pins) isnt a true IDE port, but some proprietary Creative/Panasonic thing. It will work with the appropriate Creative NON-TRUE-IDE drives, and the IBM drives of that same era (almost identical to the Creative version, except with the "IBM Blue" colored eject button, same part number as the Creative/Panasonic but with a BB as the last couple characters, slightly different firmware and for some odd reason as the rest of the drive is supposedly identical, a bit better performance - on the same exact machine and same exact SB16 card reading the same exact CDs running copies and speed tests (i've tried and tested em when I used to own the things - mine was a SB16ASP with the multiple CD-ROM ports).

These include cards with 1 40 pin connector, as well as variants with a second 34 pin Sony CD ROM connector and a third variant that had another 40 pin (which MIGHT have been IDE - or another proprietary interface - I dont recall).

I THINK the driver is on Hobbes. Go to Hobbes and look for SBCD - one of the files that comes up should be the SoundBlaster CD-ROM package - there should be multiple ones either there or elsewhere - if you cant find it, let me know - I have it archived someplace.

The ones that DO have a true IDE port (whether it's the only port - or in conjuction with other proprietary ports) WILL work, both for installation and for general use.
You may need to set commandline options in the config.sys to set the ports' IO addresses and IRQ. It should work (albeit slowly) for both install and normal use (though you may have to re-edit the config.sys file once install is done - or even during install if you dont set up the Install boot disks correctly).

Look at the card and see if the port says "Creative/Panasonic" - if so, you need the SBCD driver, If not, you have to assign the I/O address and IRQ in the appropriate IBM driver statement (and confirm the jumper settings on the card for the port, and make sure that it's settings dont conflict with any other IDE port on the machine).

OS/2 seems to be able to handle an "infinite" number of IDE controllers, but only finds the Primary and Secondary unless you tell it where the rest are. I've run 4 IDE controllers in my system with a combination of drives and CD-ROMs attached. The SB (if IDE) is probably assigning the controller as a tertiary controller (check the jumper settings to see what address it's configured to - and if so, you'll need to add these to the approriate config.sys line - or rejumper the card to be a Secondary & disable any other secondary controller in the machine).

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need the driver.

-Robert

Date: 27 Jul, 2006 on 18:55
OS/2 CD-ROM drive installation help (Creative CD device on Sound Blaster 16)
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: