Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
LVM and Removable Media
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
cbo
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.tiscalinet.ch/cbockem
since: 14 Nov, 2002
1. LVM and Removable Media
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
On my new Thinkpad R32 (with eCS) I am trying to access an USB "Memory Stick" that used to work with my old Toshiba notebook (with Warp4/FP15). An USB floppy drive works already, but the H: device, which would be the memory stick, reports "cannot access file system". This is already more than the "drive not ready" for both A: and H: when the USB installation wasn't working yet.

Also the LVM "sees" the device. Which gives me the idea that maybe it wants to treat it as a partitioned device, which it isn't?

I have seen the /LF option of OS2DASD ("removables as large floppies"), as well as the /REMOVABLE_AS_FLOPPY, which suggests that removables are to be used as floppies as well, but the config tool database says the contrary: "System uses removable disks as partitioned volumes". Actually I tried all possible settings of these two switches, all with the same result...

Any other idea about how to access the device as a "large floppy" as it was possible before?

The difference between the systems is mainly Warp4 vs. eCS, so I was suspecting the LVM - which doesn't have to be true of course.

Date: 14 Nov, 2002 on 14:35
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
2. Re:LVM and Removable Media
Just wondering and even if this would be a not wanted suggestion, but have you tried to install Warp 4 on another partition to compare if the USB device works on the new laptop? Would be of interest if there is something that really is different betwen the systems, but there shouldn't be. But, then again who knows.....

As you say, if it works with Warp 4 the it should work with eCS. So what else can it be? Really different hardware when it comes to the USB chipset? So no really suggestion, just some more questions

/Kim

Date: 14 Nov, 2002 on 22:21
cbo
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.tiscalinet.ch/cbockem
3. Re:LVM and Removable Media
If nothing else helps, this could be another good idea for testing! And not even so difficult to do: I have already a spare partition for the installation of a maintenance system put aside, but this isn't yet installed. I would have to manage the installation via the USB-Floppydrive, but this could probably be solved, since the BIOS supports booting from there, and I would only have to prepare boot diskettes with USB support - which is exactly what I would like to test But since it already works for the floppy drive, it should indeed be possible...
Date: 15 Nov, 2002 on 09:38
RobG
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 19 Nov, 2002
4. Re:LVM and Removable Media
I've just spent a weekend trying to do this with a 256M USB Memory Stick, and like you I'm inclined to suspect the LVM, but I have never tried it under standard Warp 4 so I can't be sure. I'm tempted to re-install it and find out.

There is an interesting paragraph in the readme file for the new SCSI Removables Filter Device Driver which reads as follows:

"Some SCSI device drivers report incorrect geometry for media in partitioned
removable devices (such as ZIP drives). In addition to some of the media
space being unusable, the Logical Volume Manager (LVM) considers
the partitions on the media to be corrupt, and media prepared on non-SCSI
attached devices may not be readable.

This IBMRSCSI filter corrects the geometry reported by the device driver,
if required, insuring that all space is reachable and that LVM considers
the partitions valid."

Perhaps we are experiencing a similar problem with our USB removable devices.

As for a practical suggestion I would try replacing USBMSD.ADD with Chris Wohlgemuth's version available from Hobbes (cw-usbmsd-v1_1.zip). This has worked for me although it takes a while to mount.

Insert the Device
Wait for the beep (approx 1 minute)
Execute LVM /RediscoverPRM (approx 4 minutes)

Good Luck

Date: 20 Nov, 2002 on 15:04
cbo
Normal member
in user

5. Re:LVM and Removable Media
I already tried the CWUSBMSD driver, but I didn't wait so long, so that could still be a point! The only BUT: I would have to be sure that the USB floppy drive would still work as well...

Another thing I found out in the mean time: I could "look at" the memory stick with DFSee (which is what Chris Wohlgemuth suggested), and indeed it seems that there are problems with recognizing the "virtual geometry". Actually DFSee reports the right media type ("large floppy"), but it only reports something like 243MB or so, instead of 512 - which makes me feel that you could be right with your guess about the wrong geometry.

When accessing the stick with DFSee, it also marks some "activity" (by fast blinking of the little LED), so it is really accessed and read, but not the right way somehow. Which fits with the error message about "could not read file system" or so, in contrast to "drive not ready" if actually no "contact" is possible at all.

So two things remain to be done: Try the CW... driver with a bit more patience, and try to "look at" the medium with DFSee with the old computer where it still worked.

One other difference between the two systems: The old one needs the OHCI driver, while the new one needs three (!) UHCI drivers loaded.

Date: 21 Nov, 2002 on 09:33
stv
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.process-solutions.org.uk
since: 26 Nov, 2002
6. Re:LVM and Removable Media
As well as using cwusbmsd, I recommend you look in the /usb section of this site (under storage) where various switches are recommended for use with these devices.
With this help, my 32MB usb flash drive beeps within 10secs of plugging in, runs well above the speed of sound and ejects when I tell it to, again within 10 secs.
In fact, with this site, I found it easier to install/run than with Win98 (not often the case with OS/2 and hardware...)
Date: 26 Nov, 2002 on 12:55
LVM and Removable Media
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: