Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
SoundBlaster Audigy & Universal Audio Driver
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
David
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 07 Jan, 2003
1. SoundBlaster Audigy & Universal Audio Driver
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I am testing a Creative Labs Audigy card under eCS with the Universal Audio Driver and the LBmixer. I am having great success with playing from any source (except midi), but I can not record. When I try to record, the volume level of the source increases slightly at the moment you start recording (was testing using Dtape), and everything looks normal, no hangs, time elapsed increases etc, but there is no sound being captured. A file is created when all done, just nothing in it.

So, does anyone have any ideas? Is this a configuration bug? Is there some 'easy' mod to the source code that has been released that would make this card record? Is there anyone else trying to make an Audigy card work? Of note, I was able to borrow a Soundblaster Live 5.1 card, and with no configuration changes, it drops in and records without problem.

Thanks!

Date: 07 Jan, 2003 on 16:55
dljone9
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 13 Jan, 2003
2. Re:SoundBlaster Audigy & Universal Audio Driver
This is interesting news, to know that the Audigy card works even to this extent. I'll be watching this thread, as I would like be able to get one of these cards for my OS/2 system...

Oddly enough I was having a difficult time recently trying to record audio under both Warp 4 (fp 16) and Aurora (fps. 2 & 3). I tried a Crystal 4231 and an ESS Solo1, neither would work - both cards previously did work. Eventually I did get an SB Live (w/ Sander's drivers) and an ESS 1869 to work correctly, though...

I wonder if recent FP's have broken something in OS/2's multimedia subsystem??

Date: 13 Jan, 2003 on 17:07
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
3. Re:SoundBlaster Audigy & Universal Audio Driver
last updated at 13 Jan, 2003 18:33 (2 times)

David (Jan 07, 2003 17:55):
I am testing a Creative Labs Audigy card under eCS with the Universal Audio Driver and the LBmixer. I am having great success with playin

Curious about what board you tried but if it was the Audigy 2 Platinum - I would then like to ask if output via SPDIF or Optical connectors works as well under OS2 ?

/Kim

Date: 13 Jan, 2003 on 18:32
David
Normal member
in user

4. Re:SoundBlaster Audigy & Universal Audio Driver
The board that I was testing was a 'bulk' version without the front panel. The inputs I tested where line-in (on the back plate), CD connector on the card and AUX on the card. All of these worked. Of interest, I was also able to play a file using Cool Edit Pro 1.0 running under Odin.

I have now also done testing with an Audigy 2 card and the Universal Audio Driver. When the driver loads it reports the card as an Audigy, the driver assigns memory and IRQ to the card, and then also reports that it has found a Sigmatel STAC9721/23 mixer. This all looks quite positive, but unfortunately, I was not able to get sound or record with the Audigy 2. Now for the crazy part. My local computer vendor was letting me try all these for several weeks to evaluate and pick from. It finally came to a point where I needed to pick one. So, in great optimism, I purchased the Audigy 2, and now I am trying to gather all the pieces necessary to create a driver that will support this card under OS/2. The reason I decided to go with the Audigy 2 is because it is significantly better from a hi-fidelity standpoint. The frequency response is near flat 20-20,000 with almost no rolloff. Channel separation is excellent, as well as S/N ratio, dynamic range etc. Check out these two reviews at Tom's Hardware for a good general overview of the differences between the cards. The results from the Right Mark Audio Analyzer test section speak for themselves:

Audigy
http://www6.tomshardware.com/video/20010927/index.html

Audigy 2
http://www6.tomshardware.com/video/20021106/index.html

So, if anyone wants to help me with getting a working device driver, please let me know. I have programmed for many years, but I have never written a device driver, so I am making this my first multimedia/device driver project.

Date: 14 Jan, 2003 on 01:19
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
5. Re:SoundBlaster Audigy & Universal Audio Driver
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/os2ddprog is a place that might be of some help.
OS/2 Warp-ed to the very end.
Date: 14 Jan, 2003 on 01:40
JonOS/2
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.jonasbuys.easynet.be
since: 10 Jan, 2003
6. Re:SoundBlaster Audigy & Universal Audio Driver
As I see it now, to work reasonably with the device, the Universal audio driver should be adapted.
For now, the only small possibility is that Augicy2 external USB CAN work with USB audio drivers.
Anyone out there who wants to test?

BTW, www.jonasbuys.easynet.be/os2/os2chl.txt
Jonas Buys.

Date: 21 Jan, 2003 on 20:29
davidfor
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/djfos2
since: 20 Jan, 2003
7. Re:SoundBlaster Audigy & Universal Audio Driver

David (Jan 14, 2003 02:19):
So, if anyone wants to help me with getting a working device driver, please let me know. I have programmed for many years, but I have never written a device driver, so I am making this my first multimedia/device driver project.

I've been working on the UNIAUD source to get a driver working for my laptop for a while, so I can give you a few pointers for how to do this, Unfortunately, I can't gaurantee success as I haven't gotten mine working (I haven't touched it for a couple of months due to other commitments and it was causing far to much swearing).

The reason the Audigy2 is being identified but not working is because of the interaction between the UNIAUDs 16bit and 32bit drivers. In the original ALSA drivers (the 32bit driver is based on these), the Audigy2 is probably handled by the same code as the SBLive (I can't get at the source right now). So, when the 32bit driver is looking for a supported card, it finds and initialized the Audigy2. But, when the 16bit driver is initialized, it checks what card the 32bit driver found, and only accepts the supported ones. Apparently, the Audigy card is close enough to a SBLive card to pass this test, but, the Audigy2 isn't. I'd be interested to see the output of one of the PCI sniffers for the two cards. Then I could see if the above is correct.

To get past the aboved problem, I am reporting to the 16bit driver that my chipset is one of the supported chipsets. This seems to work, but, unfortunately, it hangs when I try to play a sound. (I really have to get back to this.)

David
Date: 22 Jan, 2003 on 00:36
David
Normal member
in user

8. Re:SoundBlaster Audigy & Universal Audio Driver
It's good to hear of your endeavors to modify the uniaud driver. This gives me hope. Your approach of dealing with the communication with the 16 bit and 32 bit drivers is along the lines of what I was thinking.

Now, as I was writing this, I checked http://opensource.creative.com, and we have some very good news. It looks like the EMU10K1 project on SourceForge has just added Audigy 2 support. Here is a link directly to the summary page for main.c:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/emu10k1/emu10k1/main.c

and here is the project summary page:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/emu10k1

I think the next step is to look at the changes here versus the released uniaud code.

You had mentioned wanting to see PCI sniffer info on the Audigy 2 card. Here is the information for the Audigy 2 card as reported by Craig Hart's PCI+AGP bus sniffer, version 0.47vk:

Vendor 1102h Creative Labs
Device 0004h EMU10K2 Audio Chipset (SB Audigy)
Command 0005h (I/O Access, BusMaster)
Status 0290h (Has Capabilities List, Supports Back-To-Back Trans.,
Medium Timing)
Revision 04h, Header Type 80h, Bus Latency 20h
Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
PCI Class Multimedia, type Audio
Subsystem ID 10021102h Audigy Series (Guess Only!)
Subsystem Vendor 1102h Creative Labs
Address 0 is an I/O Port : 00009000h
System IRQ 11, INT# A
New Capabilities List Present:
Power Management Capability

Supports power state D1
Current Power State : D0 (Device operational, no power saving)

Device 7003h Audigy Gameport Joystick
Command 0005h (I/O Access, BusMaster)
Status 0290h (Has Capabilities List, Supports Back-To-Back Trans.,
Medium Timing)
PCI Class Input, type Other
Subsystem ID 00601102h Audigy Gameport Joystick (Guess Only!)
Address 0 is an I/O Port : 00009400h
Supports power state D1

Device 4001h Audigy IEEE1394 Firewire Controller
Command 0006h (Memory Access, BusMaster)

Device 4001h Audigy IEEE1394 Firewire Controller
Command 0006h (Memory Access, BusMaster)
Status 0210h (Has Capabilities List, Medium Timing)
Cache line size 32 Bytes (8 DWords)
PCI Class Serial, type OHCI FireWire
Subsystem ID 00101102h Unknown
Address 0 is a Memory Address (anywhere in 0-4Gb) : E3005000h
Address 1 is a Memory Address (anywhere in 0-4Gb) : E3000000h
System IRQ 10, INT# B
Supports power state D1

Thinking about your driver locking up when you try to play a sound, with the Audigy 2 and the uniaud driver, everything 'works' but it is silent, what do you think that this is as simple as unmuting the outputs on the card?

So, time to brew some more coffee...

Date: 23 Jan, 2003 on 04:47
SoundBlaster Audigy & Universal Audio Driver
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: