Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
IBM PC330 (6577-9AT) and Promise controller
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
1. IBM PC330 (6577-9AT) and Promise controller
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Since the good old PC330 is a rather silent system I have had one around as a small fileserver. Only problem is that the original disk (1.6gb) is starting to get a bit too small. So I went out and bought an IBM 80gb disk and slammed it into the system together with a Promise Ultra 100Tx2 controller. So far so good; everything works out as it should. Partition Magic can view the disk and I'm able to create partitions on it. When tryint to install MCP2 on it it claims that there is no partition defined so I as most of you other would do enters the LVMto create a boot partition to install on. When this is done I reboot and the same problem comes up again - no installation partition. And yes I'm using Dani IDE drivers.

It just seems that even if other applications can access the new disk OS2 won't do it. My best guess is that PC330 just won't workout with the Promisse controller after all. Since it seems that the systems BIOS one way another overrides the Promise BIOS when it should be the other way around.

Any suggestions or anyone that have had similar problems on similar system ?

/Kim

Date: 06 Mar, 2003 on 18:02
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
2. Re:IBM PC330 (6577-9AT) and Promise controller
Does the bios have a setting where one can disable the onboard controller? Is there a setting for using an 'external' controller?
OS/2 Warp-ed to the very end.
Date: 07 Mar, 2003 on 14:31
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
3. Re:IBM PC330 (6577-9AT) and Promise controller
As most of so called brand systems there is not many options in the bios to disable or enable hardware features. And this system goes back to November 1996 and still running as a solid rock. I've also tried to use the original disk as boot drive and then the new 80gb as an additional drive. But, that didn't work either. So I guess that the Promise controller won't work together with this system at all.

I've sent of a question to Promise and waiting for an answer from them.

But what could be of interest to mention is that I've earlier installed the same Promise controller into a PC365 (Dual CPU system) and there it worked out as it should. I both system are manufactured during the same period.

Date: 08 Mar, 2003 on 00:15
JanLa
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.kenosoft.com
since: 26 Feb, 2003
4. Re:IBM PC330 (6577-9AT) and Promise controller
Hey,
Not sure, but I think I've been into the same...
I have a 30Gig. IBM disk at my puter, and everything looks fine until I'm about to install, then there's just NO install partition.
Then I installed BOOTMANAGER, and voila, the C disk showed up like magic.
Insallation went fine....
Then since I did not use the BM, I deleted it. Still OK.
Some months later, I decide that I need a "TEST" partititon.And everything repeates. No BM no install....

regards
Jan Magne

Date: 04 Apr, 2003 on 17:28
Kim
Team member
in staff

5. Re:IBM PC330 (6577-9AT) and Promise controller
Excellent, what you say actually sort of give me some deja vu here regarding this topic. Since when I played around with the system I had bootmanager installed and there was no problem to get the system to boot. But, when I then finally wanted to set up the proper system I skipped the bootmanager and installed directly with an empty disk.... with no really luck. It comes around to the first round of installation and then it won't boot.

Right then, I'll give it a try with another disk and report back here.

/Kim

Date: 05 Apr, 2003 on 11:02
Kim
Team member
in staff

6. Re:IBM PC330 (6577-9AT) and Promise controller
Well, tried around with bootmanager and that didn't make any difference. But, I've now also noticed that I only lose the partition info (meaning here that I'm not ending up with a corrupt disk) only when the system reboots in any way. The Promise controller has problem scanning for a disk directly after a reboot. But, turning off the power and powering on the system again gives and the Promise Controller finds the disk. So it seems either that the disk is either not powered up enough after a reboot or there is something strange with the PCI-bus. I've checked another PC330 with the same result; so asume that both system are 100% working.

The BIOS isn't that much of help here so can't really find anything that could give above effects. Disabling the APM-functions didn't make any different (and why should it actually).

Open for more ideas and suggestions here

/Kim

Date: 06 Apr, 2003 on 11:47
IBM PC330 (6577-9AT) and Promise controller
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: