Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
eCS 1.00 not installing to P4 + Ultra ATA IDE HDDs
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Jos
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 06 Apr, 2003
1. eCS 1.00 not installing to P4 + Ultra ATA IDE HDDs
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I have recently replaced my old system with a P4(1.6ghz) +512mb RAM. There are two HDDs. Unit 0 currently has - until I can get this sorted out - Windoze XP SP1, and is 80GB. Unit 1 is blank - although partitioned currently RAW - and is 30GB

When I kick off the installation from either of the bootable CDs for eCS 1.00 the installation is unable to operate the HDD or diskette.

I have downloaded and have created boot diskettes with Danielas' latest DANIS506.ADD 62kb 14/02/2003 & DANIATAPI.FLT 26kb 14/02/2003 drivers, but the results are the same as with the original set that comes with eCS 1.00.

Both HDDs are:-

Intel/I8XX ICH2 PCI to IDE:Rev04 VID:8086 DID:244B @33mhz
Status is OK SMS 16 LBA NL:0 Busmaster Ultra DMA5/PIO4 BPB.

I have also tried them with the INtel Ultra ATA IDE software v6.2, with the same results.

Does any one have any ideas?? I am deperate to get rid of this Windoze environment

Jos

We are what we consistently do, excellence therefore is a habit, not an accident.
Date: 06 Apr, 2003 on 00:38
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
2. Re:eCS 1.00 not installing to P4 + Ultra ATA IDE HDDs
Just how far do you get on the installation? Do you actually get to the point where you're using LVM to create installation volume/partition? Or, does the system halt on the installation diskette or on any of the other two; diskette 1 or 2 ? If, so on what in config.sys does it halt (use ALT+F2) to see every single line when booting.

If it halts already on the installation diskette (the boot diskette) it could be the P4+512mb apar. There was an update released for this. If so, try to install only with 256mb ram or at least less than 512mb. This update can be added after the installation.

/Kim

Date: 06 Apr, 2003 on 12:01
JonOS/2
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.jonasbuys.easynet.be
since: 10 Jan, 2003
3. Re:eCS 1.00 not installing to P4 + Ultra ATA IDE HDDs
Don' t bother; you'll have to wait for eCS 1.1. If you want to use OS/2 on P4 with 512MB of RAM, or more, you must install a fixpak to "patch" kernel. It won't run without the patch. Now, you can ask SSI whether they have the fix for eCS, but I doubt this (the IBM one won't work due to other names and paths used in eCS). Normally, the fix SHOULD be included and applied to eCS 1.1.
Fixpak XR_F001.

Kind regards, Jonas Buys.

Date: 06 Apr, 2003 on 12:25
Jos
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
4. Re:eCS 1.00 not installing to P4 + Ultra ATA IDE HDDs
Thanks Kim & Jonas
My fear was that the install had issue with the drives - size specifically.
The install generally fails during the "post" - "option2 from CD1 install", after selecting my country and page code, deciding to use either Danis' or IBM1s506 driver. Press enter, the eCS logo appears and starts to load drivers IBM1FLOPPY, then the HDD driver (Dani or IBM) then system recycles, only to repeat the pain.
On a couple of occasions it has taken me as far as the eCS GUI installation, and as far as running LVM, but in the panel where I would expect to see the drives available to "compatability building" there are no drives at all. So the installation will get no further. It was this type of instance that lead me to believe that it was the HDDs not the memory which was the issue.

I was "hoping" it would be the P4 + 512mb limitation, and as I have eCS 1.1 on order, I'll wait, and then see what happens.

Thanks

Jos

We are what we consistently do, excellence therefore is a habit, not an accident.
Date: 06 Apr, 2003 on 13:47
wjs
Normal member
in user

since: 08 Apr, 2003
5. Re: eCS 1.00 not installing to P4 + Ultra ATA IDE HDDs

Jos (Apr 06, 2003 01:3:
I have recently replaced my old system with a P4(1.6ghz) +512mb RAM. Jos

Jos,

I think I faced exactly your problem when trying to install eCS 1.00 on a Thinkpad T30 (P4 + 512 MB RAM). When using CD1, I came until the first reboot, with CD2 I got a TRAP.
IBM recommended on one of their pages for the T30 to remove some memoryand to put it back after the installation. I didn't do this.
Instead, I downloaded from the eCS website the kernel update (rev. 14.093d). Afterwards, I extracted from the Zipfile these files: OS2DUMP, OS2KRNL, OS2LDR, os2krnl.sym and SESDD32.SYS.
Unfortunately, the eCS CD1 took drive letter A:, so my floppy drive wasn't usable during installation. So, I created with the LVM a small partition and formatted it with Windows as FAT. The 5 files then went onto it.

After rebooting from CD1, I went through the installationuntil the system wants to reboot. I did NOT do this. Instead, I moved the installer almost out of the visible screen area in order to get access to the WPS.
Next step was to copy the five files from the FAT to the installation volume (the first 4 go in the root directory, the fifth in to directory "OS2").
Then removed the installer back on the screen and allowed to reboot.

Afterwards, the reboot went through successfully.

Hope this helps,
Wolf

Date: 08 Apr, 2003 on 14:41
Jos
Normal member
in user

6. Re:eCS 1.00 not installing to P4 + Ultra ATA IDE HDDs
Thanks Wolf,
That might be the answer I will give it a try. I have the Kernel you reference 14.093d, andcertainly I get further, but curently I still get a trap upon reboot after the first phase (Trap is in OS2KRNL). But I have not installed /placed the SESDD32.SYS driver onto my system, everything else you mentioned is in place.

To everyone else that has responded to this post, many thanks for your contributions.

Jos

Date: 12 Apr, 2003 on 13:50
Jos
Normal member
in user

7. Re:eCS 1.00 not installing to P4 + Ultra ATA IDE HDDs
This is proving to be a bit of a nightmare. I can only think that there is no way that I can install eCS to a blank "Pentium 4" system with 512mb of RAM............. Everyones suggestions have proved to be correct on my system at work - from where I am typing this note - but all attempts to install at home have proven to be failures. My system at work has 256mbRAM

To summarise:-

My home system
Intel D850MV ATX Board (BIOS level = P15)
1.6Ghz P4 - Processor
512mb RAM (2 x 256mb PC800 RDRAM) So cannot reduce installed memory to 256mb
2 x Ultra ATA HDDs (1 x 80GB - IDE=0, 1 x 30GB - IDE=1)
2 x ATAPI Opticals ( 1 x LG DVD - install drive, 1 x Creative WR)
Elsa Eliac NVidia2 MX400 AGPx2 (64mb)

The installation kicks off - from floppy - with the revised boot diskettes from eCS (v 1.01). First phase of installation completes without any issues at all - prior to starting the install, I start the desktop, and within that I have a "Full Screen" session for later file transfers. At the end of phase 1 I copy into place revised files:-

OS2KRNL (14_093D) & associated
OS2LDR
OS2LDR.MSG
DANI1S506.ADD (v. 1.62 - 14/Feb/2003)
DANIATAP.FLT (30/jAN/2001 - latest I can find........)
** I have also copied the security driver SESDD32.SYS, from the kernel build above, but only on one occasion, and this made no difference.

Upon rebooting from this position - the reboot incidently requires no additional assistance - the system starts, and gets to the logo, and then almost immediately I get a TRAP in OS2KRNL.

So thinking the revised kernel is my problem, I begin the process all over again - formatting the drive along the way. This time I leave the eCS 1.01 kernel in place, but still copying Dani's drivers - thinking that it did fine getting through phase 1 using it so it hopefully will get me through phase2 and adding the 3rd party apps. This proved to be a foolish hope, it will do one of two things:-

1. Trap in the same way as OS2KRNL 14_093d - but without naming the module, just as Scott G. indicated in the accompanying readme for 14_093d.
2. The HDD will become locked solid just prior to the point where the Trap would normally occur.

So what is left for me???

Well, to hope that someone out there can understand why this is failing for me, and help me over it. Or pray that eCS 1.1 has the ability to install to a "virgin" system.

I am not deterred, just as any OS/2 , eCS devotee, I believe that it will all be okay in the end. And that when installed all of this pain will fast become a distant memory. But for the time being I am enormously frustrated, that I do not have my favoutite OS available to me at home.

Jos

Date: 14 Apr, 2003 on 09:35
KimC
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.ecomstation.com
since: 15 May, 2003
8. Re:eCS 1.00 not installing to P4 + Ultra ATA IDE HDDs

Jos (Apr 14, 2003 10:35):
This is proving to be a bit of a nightmare. I can only think that there is no way that I can install eCS to a blank "Pentium 4" system with 512mb of RAM............. Everyones suggestions have proved to be correct on my system at work - from where I am typing this note - but all attempts to install at home have proven to be failures. My system at work has 256mbRAM

To summarise:-

My home system
Intel D850MV ATX Board (BIOS level = P15)
1.6Ghz P4 - Processor
512mb RAM (2 x 256mb PC800 RDRAM) So cannot reduce installed memory to 256mb
2 x Ultra ATA HDDs (1 x 80GB - IDE=0, 1 x 30GB - IDE=1)
2 x ATAPI Opticals ( 1 x LG DVD - install drive, 1 x Creative WR)
Elsa Eliac NVidia2 MX400 AGPx2 (64mb)

The installation kicks off - from floppy - with the revised boot diskettes from eCS (v 1.01). First phase of installation completes without any issues at all - prior to starting the install, I start the desktop, and within that I have a "Full Screen" session for later file transfers. At the end of phase 1 I copy into place revised files:-

OS2KRNL (14_093D) & associated
OS2LDR
OS2LDR.MSG
DANI1S506.ADD (v. 1.62 - 14/Feb/2003)
DANIATAP.FLT (30/jAN/2001 - latest I can find........)
** I have also copied the security driver SESDD32.SYS, from the kernel build above, but only on one occasion, and this made no difference.

Upon rebooting from this position - the reboot incidently requires no additional assistance - the system starts, and gets to the logo, and then almost immediately I get a TRAP in OS2KRNL.

So thinking the revised kernel is my problem, I begin the process all over again - formatting the drive along the way. This time I leave the eCS 1.01 kernel in place, but still copying Dani's drivers - thinking that it did fine getting through phase 1 using it so it hopefully will get me through phase2 and adding the 3rd party apps. This proved to be a foolish hope, it will do one of two things:-

1. Trap in the same way as OS2KRNL 14_093d - but without naming the module, just as Scott G. indicated in the accompanying readme for 14_093d.
2. The HDD will become locked solid just prior to the point where the Trap would normally occur.

So what is left for me???

Well, to hope that someone out there can understand why this is failing for me, and help me over it. Or pray that eCS 1.1 has the ability to install to a "virgin" system.

I am not deterred, just as any OS/2 , eCS devotee, I believe that it will all be okay in the end. And that when installed all of this pain will fast become a distant memory. But for the time being I am enormously frustrated, that I do not have my favoutite OS available to me at home.

Jos

Jos,

Sorry you had such problems. I didn't see your message until now.

Any chance you can try eCS 1.1 on this same hardware?

Thanks,

Kim Cheung
Date: 19 May, 2003 on 21:30
Jos
Normal member
in user

9. Re:eCS 1.00 not installing to P4 + Ultra ATA IDE HDDs
Hi Kim
Thanks for the response, but I actually got it sorted last week - just never got around to notifying the forum.

eCS v1.0 eventually installed, when I managed to get hold of a new kernel 14.093i_w4. This kernel did exactly what I wanted - thanks Scott G.

Since that time I received eCS v1.1 - last Friday - and I am now such a "happy chap". Everything has installed without any hitches what so ever.

So my favourite OS is back up & running - BRILLIANT!!!

Thanks to everybody that contributed

Date: 20 May, 2003 on 09:40
eCS 1.00 not installing to P4 + Ultra ATA IDE HDDs
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: