Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
Automiatic printer switchbox
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Henrik
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 08 Sep, 2001
1. Automiatic printer switchbox
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I hav e two printers a HP 6L and a Epson stylus color 660, I would like to connect to one machine and I have therefore bought Antec AF-142 printer switch to share the printers. But I have not found at driver too the switchbox. How do I find the driver and how do i get this setup to work.

Henrik

Date: 06 Jul, 2003 on 18:40
icebear
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 17 Jun, 2001
2. Re:As far I know ...
... and as far I experienced:

There are 2 types of switch boxes but both need to be swiched manually and
no drivers are needed !!

Myself does have an automatic switch box from various systems to ONE printer ...
... also without any drivers needed !!!

Date: 07 Jul, 2003 on 13:21
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

since: 26 Nov, 2002
3. Re:Automiatic printer switchbox

Henrik (Jul 06, 2003 19:40):
I hav e two printers a HP 6L and a Epson stylus color 660, I would like to connect to one machine and I have therefore bought Antec AF-142 printer switch to share the printers. But I have not found at driver too the switchbox. How do I find the driver and how do i get this setup to work.
Henrik

Henrik,

such switchboxes usually use some kind of control sequence to switch to the output port selected AFAIK. Did you read the manual - is there anything mentioned about how to select the output port?

Cheers
Thomas

Date: 07 Jul, 2003 on 21:58
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

4. Re:As far I know ...

sam (Jul 07, 2003 14:21):
... and as far I experienced:

There are 2 types of switch boxes but both need to be swiched manually and
no drivers are needed !!

Myself does have an automatic switch box from various systems to ONE printer ...
... also without any drivers needed !!!

Sam,

you're right. But in your case, this is n-way to 1 output. That's easy for the box to determine: It snoops the ports and as soon as there is data it simply does "first come, first serve" and after data was processed, it gets back to snooping the ports.
In Henriks case, there is a 1-to-n-port type of connection. If there is no mechanical "switch", then the box is controlled via special code sequences (like escape sequences for printers). I think he might find information about it in the manual of the box... hopefully.

Thomas

Date: 07 Jul, 2003 on 22:03
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

5. Re:Automiatic printer switchbox
Henrik,

I searched the web and found some information about that switch.
Well, you live and you learn:
It really needs a driver when operating in 1pc-to-2printer mode!

The information I found is available here:
http://www.aten-usa.com/products/product.php?Item=AF142

it says:
"The AF-142, when operating in 1 to 2 mode, uses the AS Ware driver to select which printer of the attached to the Auto Switch will print the print job. You can only be printing to one printer at a time unless both printers are identical and you wish to rapidly produce many copies of the same document."

The driver download page (available from the above site) is:
http://www.aten-usa.com/support/drivers.php?Item_ID=34

But hold it! This drivers is only for DOS/WIN of course... chances seem quite bad to get an OS/2 driver for it...

Greetings (anyway)
Thomas

Date: 07 Jul, 2003 on 22:25
Automiatic printer switchbox
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: