Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
COM-ports startup overload
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
1. COM-ports startup overload
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Title of this posting might look a bit weird, but couldn't come up with any better

What I wonder if there is other people that have problem with Asus boards that during power on or re-boot of system tends to send out loads of crap on the both COM-ports. The result is usually that for example that modems tends to hang or my Psion Revo hangs, so I have to hard reset it. As for the modem I usually have to turn it off. So best solution currently is to not have the modem on or the Revo connected when turning on the system.

I've never had abve problem earlier so I'm a bit puzzled. My current board is Asus P4S533 that gives me the problem. My old board ABit Bp6 never gave me this kind of trouble.

Comments or suggestion anyone?

/Kim

Date: 07 Jul, 2003 on 15:47
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 26 Nov, 2002
2. Re:COM-ports startup overload
Kim,

when does the garbage stop? Upon loding of the COM.SYS / SIO.SYS drivers? Can you find out *when* they become finally initialized?
If things start to work before the drivers are loaded: Try to check if the COM port resources in BIOS are PnP-detrmined ("auto" or something similar). In this case, try to change it to preset values like IRQ=4, Port=3F8 etc.
Don't know if this is of any help.

Keeping fingers crossed
Thomas

Date: 07 Jul, 2003 on 21:54
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
3. Re:COM-ports startup overload
I've learned from earlier trouble with the PnP regarding COM-ports so I always keep them proper configed with IRQ, etc. Regarding the output from the ports it's when the BIOS is doing it's jobb, ie before the actually OS is booted from disk.

I've sent an e-mail to Asus to hear what they have to say about it. Since for me it something new..

/Kim

Date: 09 Jul, 2003 on 00:16
COM-ports startup overload
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: