Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
PDA/Handheld and OS/2-eCS?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
1. PDA/Handheld and OS/2-eCS?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Is there a PDA that can 'hot sync' or link to ones OS/2 or eCS computer? (where one can load to or from the pda or handheld computer?).
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2 Warp-ed to the very end.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Date: 17 Sep, 2003 on 21:51
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 26 Nov, 2002
2. Re:PDA/Handheld and OS/2-eCS?
Hi,

I started with a Palm III that my wife soon felt into love with, whem she discovered that it was capable of running freeceel <g> - so I had to give it away (to her) and got myself a PalmPilot (first version). Both from eBay.
Both work great in OS/2 and eCS: Their cradles are attached to a serial port and you can either sync with StarOffice (directly, as it includes native "conduits" for adresses, contacts and todo's) or with the PalmDesktop software running in Odin (there was a VOICE articel about that some time ago).
In addition, there's the port of the linux PilotLink tools collection which I use most of the time to simply backup my palm data. Requires emx; nothing else.

As for the newer models, I don't have any experience, but if it's a Palm device, it *should* be able to run the same way if it is sync'ed via a serial port cradle. (Don't know if USB or infrared will work in eCS or OS/2).
As for other brands... okay, those "handsprings" are palm clones, but if you think about a winCE PocketPC device... can't tell.

Hope this helps.
Greetings
Thomas

Date: 17 Sep, 2003 on 22:33
Achimi
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 16 Dec, 2002
3. Re:PDA/Handheld and OS/2-eCS?
>In addition, there's the port of the linux PilotLink tools collection which I use most of the time to simply backup my palm data. Requires emx; nothing else.

This Port and the INst therefore is great, works good with dragndrop.
But .... as there are always buts:
The Soft don´t works well with OS/2 German codepage (since my Palm running PALMOS 3.3 German uses the Windows Codepages), you need Soft e.g. from Goran (TAME) to convert Codepage. But this is no Problem, you can create Batch-Files there.
There is much more soft in the package then it is Installed in the Folder. E.G. there is Memo.exe (?). This is also not dokumented in the included Readmes.
It reads the Memopad and stores the memos sorted by Categories on your Harddisk. You have to try ab error to get the Parameters (e.g. "--Help").

Ciao Achim

Date: 18 Sep, 2003 on 12:46
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
4. Re:PDA/Handheld and OS/2-eCS?
Thanks for the information.
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2 Warp-ed to the very end.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Date: 18 Sep, 2003 on 16:55
stefans2s
Normal member
in user

since: 19 Sep, 2003
5. Re:PDA/Handheld and OS/2-eCS?
hello,

sharp zaurus (for example SL5500) with cf network or wavelan card...
many connection types are possible

eCS with peer(netbios) --> samba shares on zaurus
zaurus with "smbmount" --> eCS peer shares
but ftp ssh is also possible.

by

Date: 19 Sep, 2003 on 08:21
PDA/Handheld and OS/2-eCS?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: