Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
Cd writer
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
arr
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 26 Jan, 2004
1. Cd writer
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I just installed a cd-writer in my system and getting it to work
under my windows drive was not a problem but I would like to use it on warp 4 drive. I have downloaded and installed cdrecord/2 and audiocdcreator. Obviously using it as a normal cd-rom drive works but my question is - do I need this infernal udf.ifs driver(which I will at least have to fork out another 90$ which is not worth it in my estimation) to be able to read cds that I burn or is that just for dvds? I hope not!!! The windows software is nero and InCD which does use udf format or at least InCD does and consequently a cd I burned with windows I was not able to read under warp so I guess the answer might be yes. I am still playing with audiocdcreator so I haven't learned all the ins and outs of burning a data cd yet. I will say this so far, it is easier to burn a data cd in windows then it is with audiocdcreator but that may change.

kind regards,
arr

Date: 22 Mar, 2004 on 20:20
ChrisR
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://members.home.nl/cwroossien/
since: 04 Feb, 2004
2. Re:Cd writer
Well.. when a windoze user ask me to put somthing on CD for them I use the CD classes from Chris and they are impressed and want something like that on windoze but there is not..
So its all a matter of taste...
If I were you I should forget about (remove) inCD..
Its a typical Nero issue and only PC's with nero installed can use it..
Its only a way to use a CD as a hard drive and if you need it then use it only with rewritables.. its not a way to make data CD's.
In the windoze world the newest nero version seem to be a piece of shit.. (look in windoze forums).. the older versions seem to be much beter but OK.. we are talking about eCS/OS2 here...
RSJ writer is absolutely worth the money .. and with RSJ you can mount CD's as a hard drive, it does NOT need formatting and is compatable!!!
(you can even reopen closed CD's)
Date: 23 Mar, 2004 on 09:14
Radek
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 17 Jul, 2003
3. Re:Cd writer
I can recommend investing in RSJ as well. I am using RSJ about a year and I can confirm that RSJ is worth of the payment for the licence.
RSJ is a PM application, which will turn your CDRW into a "removable HD". After opening this "removable HD" by means of RSJ, you will be able to use any kind of software for "copying" files on the "removable HD". You need not carry about timing, underrun and so on - RSJ will take care. At the end of the session, you will close the "removable HD" and your new CD will be ready.
You can use your CDRW as a normal CD but do not forget that your CDRW is now a removable medium. For example, under eCS, your CDRW will vanish from the drive list and you will need to get it back by Refresh Removable Media as if you worked with Zip or a similar hardware. What will happen exactly under W4 I don't know.
Note: Writing on the CD uses a special drive letter which is available only after opening the session with RSJ. Therefore, your CDs are safe if you use your CDRW as a normal CD. The drive letter that would allow you to write on your CD does not exist.
Date: 23 Mar, 2004 on 10:09
arr
Premium member
in user

4. Re:Cd writer
last updated at 23 Mar, 2004 14:12 (1 times)
ChrisR, your info about nero and InCD is incorrect. I burned a data cd(photos) with InCD and then was able to take it to another windoze computer which had neither nero or InCD installed and the computer had NO PROBLEM reading the cd, so I am not sure where you are getting your info on that one. Anyways I am not going to debate about the use of nero or InCD - that is not the point of my question. Like I said previously - I did install Chris's classes and am in the process of working with them. RSJ cd writer is way to expensive, sorry that is not happening. I just want to know if I need this udf.ifs driver on os/2 or not - that's all.

kind regards,
arr

Date: 23 Mar, 2004 on 12:51
ChrisR
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://members.home.nl/cwroossien/
5. Re:Cd writer
No, its for playing DVD's (as far as I know...)
But why do you want to remove it ?
Date: 23 Mar, 2004 on 13:38
arr
Premium member
in user

6. Re:Cd writer
Remove what? The udf.ifs driver? You misunderstand me, I don't have the udf.ifs driver to begin with if that is what you are referring to. Actually I did burn a mp3 file with Chris's classes and then tried to read the cd but I got a message when I clicked on the d drive icon saying the media wasn't in the correct format and asked if I wanted to format it. I will work with it more, it's probably just operator-issues.

kind regards,
arr

Date: 23 Mar, 2004 on 14:19
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
7. Re:Cd writer
With RSJ cdriting software, I can record onto a cdr or cdrw and be able to see it on a Win pc. I tried it with Roxio using a Win pc but I could not see the files on a regular cdrom drive (even though ROXIO says one could) unless I used the RSJ cdwriting software using my cdrw drive. I am glad I invested in the RSJ cdwriting software for OS/2.
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2 Warp-ed to the very end.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Date: 23 Mar, 2004 on 14:30
ChrisR
Premium member
in user

8. Re:Cd writer
Ow.. the udf.ifs does not come with warp? or eCS?
Then I wonder where I got it from..
Anyway.. when I got a DVD ROM I remember I had to move it higher (or was it lower?) in the config.sys before I could play DVD's. so before it did in fact not even work and I burned a lot of CD's and read windoze burned CD's perfect.. actually I never know of a CD what could only be read in windoze, or visa versa..
So there is something else..
I burned a lot of CD's with the c-classes as well as with RSJ and even some with other cdrecord gui.. for windoze users to..
Noboddy ever came back with problems..
I'm burning CD's from OS2 2.1 till eCS.. and over the years I had a lot of writers.. starting with a 2x writer.. and now I have a DVD writer.. (40x CD)
I do not know of any time I was asked to format a CD!!!!!!
I never did format a CD in my life..
There is something completely wrong in your PC arr...
Date: 23 Mar, 2004 on 15:07
Sushenjit
Normal member
in user

since: 01 Jul, 2003
9. Re:Cd writer
Get audiocdcreator from hobbes and all the other things it requires. Follow the instructions and install it. It is free and it works fine on my machine.

You don't need udf.sys. I don't have it on my Warp 4.0 box.

udf does not work on CD-R. It works on CD-RW. With udf, you could use CD-RW as a removiable media (format- write- read- eject) without RSJ or audiocdcreator. Whether a CD-RW written using udf can be read by Windows, I don't know.

However, with audiocdcreator you can write on CD-R and CD-RW. Which can be read by Windows boxes. So you don't need udf.

Sushenjit

Date: 23 Mar, 2004 on 16:13
Pete
Normal member
in user

since: 14 Aug, 2003
10. Re:Cd writer
Hi arr and everyone else

Do not confuse audio/data cd creation using cd-r with packet writing to udf formatted cd-rw they are very different processes.

Use cdrecord or RSJ with cd-r to create audio and data cds. Never format a cd-r as that will use up all space on the disc.

I think that the udf package was first introduced as part of fixpack 14 or 15 but was only of use in reading udf formatted discs here although the devices listed as tested in the readme should have worked for udf formatting purposes.

Use udf formatting with cd-rw to create a disc that you can treat as a large removable floppy - not hard disk, no partitions allowed. I find udf very useful for backups or just copying odd files off of hard disk. It is worth noting that you would need the latest udf package to be fairly sure that udf formatting cd-rw will work with your drive. That means upgrading to either eComStation or the latest IBM Warp package through Software Choice / Passport Advantage - or whatever IBM is calling it this week.

The current IBM udf (2.1.3) works reliably here with the following devices:-
Thats Write 24X10X40 CD-RW CD Writer
LITE-ON LTR-32123S CD Writer
LG GSA-4040B DVD Writer

The RSJ software has similar capabilities to the above but when working with cd-rw (or any other form of rw disc) RSJ does not delete files from cd-rw; it unlinks the deleted file(s) and does not recover any disc space until the cd-rw is reformatted. Also RSJ cannot create ISO images (like mkisofs can) for writing to cd-r but can write ISO images.

It is possible to setup RSJ so that the cd/dvd writing device is not "stolen" by the RSJ software at bootup as stated by Radek - Possibly also BigWarpGuys' problem with failing to read cds created with Roxio. Have a look through the RSJ newsgroup news.rsj.de/rsj.de.support.cdwriter.os2 for a post lockcdr.flt dated arounf may/June 03 for a "HowTo".

The only time I have any problems reading any cd-r/rw/dvd-ram/+r/+rw/-r/-rw is when the disc has not been created or finalised properly.

I use my dvd writer with cdrecord, dvddao, RSJ and udf depending on what I am trying to do.

Windows systems that have a udf reader installed will be able to read data from InCD and other udf formatted cd-rw discs.

Hope the above is of help.

Pete

Date: 23 Mar, 2004 on 16:47
Pete
Normal member
in user

11. Re:Cd writer
Hi arr and everyone else

Do not confuse audio/data cd creation using cd-r with packet writing to udf formatted cd-rw they are very different processes.

Use cdrecord or RSJ with cd-r to create audio and data cds. Never format a cd-r as that will use up all space on the disc.

I think that the udf package was first introduced as part of fixpack 14 or 15 but was only of use in reading udf formatted discs here although the devices listed as tested in the readme should have worked for udf formatting purposes.

Use udf formatting with cd-rw to create a disc that you can treat as a large removable floppy - not hard disk, no partitions allowed. I find udf very useful for backups or just copying odd files off of hard disk. It is worth noting that you would need the latest udf package to be fairly sure that udf formatting cd-rw will work with your drive. That means upgrading to either eComStation or the latest IBM Warp package through Software Choice / Passport Advantage - or whatever IBM is calling it this week.

The current IBM udf (2.1.3) works reliably here with the following devices:-
Thats Write 24X10X40 CD-RW CD Writer
LITE-ON LTR-32123S CD Writer
LG GSA-4040B DVD Writer

The RSJ software has similar capabilities to the above but when working with cd-rw (or any other form of rw disc) RSJ does not delete files from cd-rw; it unlinks the deleted file(s) and does not recover any disc space until the cd-rw is reformatted. Also RSJ cannot create ISO images (like mkisofs can) for writing to cd-r but can write ISO images.

It is possible to setup RSJ so that the cd/dvd writing device is not "stolen" by the RSJ software at bootup as stated by Radek - Possibly also BigWarpGuys' problem with failing to read cds created with Roxio. Have a look through the RSJ newsgroup news.rsj.de/rsj.de.support.cdwriter.os2 for a post lockcdr.flt dated arounf may/June 03 for a "HowTo".

The only time I have any problems reading any cd-r/rw/dvd-ram/+r/+rw/-r/-rw is when the disc has not been created or finalised properly.

I use my dvd writer with cdrecord, dvddao, RSJ and udf depending on what I am trying to do.

Windows systems that have a udf reader installed will be able to read data from InCD and other udf formatted cd-rw discs.

Hope the above is of help.

Pete

Date: 23 Mar, 2004 on 16:52
ChrisR
Premium member
in user

12. Re:Cd writer
This is interesting..
So. I can format a cdrw (or dvdrw) just like a big flopy??
There is no format in de CD menu..
Do I have to mount it with RSJ first?
Or does it have to be a blank (new) CD?
Its completelly new for me..
So.. how do I format a CD?
Date: 23 Mar, 2004 on 18:57
Henk
Normal member
in user

since: 25 Feb, 2003
13. Re:Cd writer

ChrisR (23 Mar, 2004 18:57):
This is interesting..

You can format a CD-RW or an DVD+-RW like a "big floppy"
Which CD Menu did you ment?
You do NOT need to format a CD-RW at the first use...

Under CDRecord/2

Fast format:
cdrecord2 -v dev=0,1,0 speed=52 -blank=fast
Full format.:
cdrecord2 -v dev=0,1,0 speed=52 -blank=all

Under RSJ:
From commandline...
First attached/mount the CD
C:\CDWFS>cdwfmt.exe

RSJ CD-Writer format utility - © Copyright by RSJ Software 2000
- usage: cdwfmt <drive> <format mode>

<drive> CD-WO drive letter
<format mode> /ERASE for blanking the inserted CD-R/W
/UNSEAL for unsealing the inserted medium

With kind regards,

Henk/2

Date: 23 Mar, 2004 on 23:08
arr
Premium member
in user

14. Re:Cd writer
last updated at 24 Mar, 2004 00:23 (1 times)
Wow, looks like alot of activity went on since the last time I replied. I still don't have my os/2 drive hooked up to the internet yet so I still have to use my windows drive(removable drive kit scenario). Anyways, since my last reply I worked some more with audio cd-creator and got it working just fine. I burned a couple of jpgs on a cd-rw and then had no problem reading it, so it was operator-issues as I origninally stated in my last reply. As a matter of fact, I can read the same burned cd on my windows drive with no problem. Also tested burning a mp3 on a cd-rw - worked fine as well.
I think Chris' classes are pretty impressive; along with cdrecord/2. Thanks for some additional info gentlemen. I now can fully use this cd writer on os/2. Oh by the way, the cd-writer is a LG GCE-8525B internal ide atapi writer - works just dandy.

kind regards,
arr

Date: 24 Mar, 2004 on 00:01
ChrisR
Premium member
in user

15. Re:Cd writer
Henk, that's erasing a CD-wr, I'm talking about someting different..
I figured out many things already, I got the newest udf driver and the readme is very interesting..
So when I ussue a pmformat.exe on my CD-rw it tels that I'm about to format an optical drive and the common warning of all data lost:-))
But when I click OK.. it starts the formatting and stops immidiately saying that this disc cannot be formatted..
OK.. when its my burner what is not supported I'm out of luck..
But first I will try more CD's DVD's.. when I can omit the data what is on it now.. or when I buy more RW's...

Thanks for the hint.. Chris.

Date: 24 Mar, 2004 on 15:20
Pete
Normal member
in user

16. Re:Cd writer

ChrisR (23 Mar, 2004 18:57):
This is interesting..

CDRW can be formatted using UDF but most people are having success with the latest version 2.1.3 - earlier versions basically worked for the devices listed as tested in the readme.

If the UDF files are installed there should be a format option on the menu (rmb on the drive when it has a cdrw inserted) but not if your writer has been "stolen" by RSJ - see my previous message.

It must be a cd-rw Not cd-r and can be formatted with PMFormat or from the command line eg:-
format s: /fs:udf /l

Once formatted you can write to cd-rw as though it is a large floppy.

Hope that helps.

Pete

Date: 27 Mar, 2004 on 22:10
ChrisR
Premium member
in user

17. Re:Cd writer
I do have this version but still no format item in de CD menu.
This is the relevant part of my config.sys and as far as I know its not locked by RSJ, I rem the RSJ stuff (RSJ works well with it)

IFS=F:\OS2\BOOT\JFS.IFS /AUTOCHECK:*
IFS=F:\OS2\BOOT\HPFS.IFS /CACHE:2048 /CRECL:64 /AUTOCHECK:CDEFGHIJK
IFS=F:\OS2\BOOT\FAT32.IFS /CACHE:2048 /EAS /Q
IFS=F:\OS2\BOOT\UDF.IFS
IFS=F:\OS2\BOOT\CDFS.IFS /K /W /Q
IFS=F:\UTIL\CDR\CDWFS.IFS
BASEDEV=DANIS506.ADD
REM BASEDEV=IBM1S506.ADD
BASEDEV=IBM1FLPY.ADD
BASEDEV=I2OSOSM.ADD
BASEDEV=DANIATAPI.FLT /A:1 /U:1 /RSJ
rem BASEDEV=IBMIDECD.FLT
REM BASEDEV=RSJIDECD.FLT -A
rem BASEDEV=LOCKCDR.FLT -S:0 -N

Is this config settings correct?

Chris

Date: 28 Mar, 2004 on 15:05
Pete
Normal member
in user

18. Re:Cd writer
Hi ChrisR

That looks OK but make sure the line containing the unicode driver is before (above) the udf.ifs line eg:-

device=G:\os2\boot\unicode.sys

REM ***** IFS Section
IFS=G:\OS2\JFS.IFS /LW:5,20,4 /AUTOCHECK:* /CACHE:4096
IFS=G:\OS2\HPFS.IFS /CACHE:2048 /CRECL:64 /AUTOCHECK:GHJKLMN
REM ***** Next lines allow Read/Write access to FAT32 drives
IFS=G:\OS2\BOOT\FAT32.IFS /Q /CACHE:2048 /EAS
CALL=G:\OS2\CACHEF32.EXE
REM ***** DVD and CD IFS
IFS=G:\OS2\BOOT\UDF.IFS
IFS=G:\OS2\BOOT\CDFS.IFS /Q /W

You may want to check whether you need to use any parameters with the danis506.add driver. I have a scsi hard drive and atapi dvd writer and find that I need the following parameters:-

BASEDEV=DANIS506.ADD /VL /BM /A:0 /80WIRE

I have also found that some cd-rw discs needed to be blanked using cdrecord before I could udf format them although I must admit I am not sure why.

If you want I could put together a "How To" setup a system so that RSJ, cdrecord and udf can all access an atapi cdrw (but not at the same time

Regards

Pete

Date: 02 Apr, 2004 on 03:07
ChrisR
Premium member
in user

19. Re:Cd writer
Hi Pete,
When you have the time to create a howto and put it online somewhere..
I think it would be great..... I suppose more people would be interested..
Reading the above messages it seems not many people know about the udf posibilities in eCS..
And there are a lot of misunderstandings..

About my problem... nope. I did not have any device above the IFS ..
So I changed it.. and still the same..

I think its the CD-RW I use.. its a old one for testing... so I think the first thing to do is to buy a new (couple of) CD-RW's (different brands?)..
(although a DVD-RW did not work also.. I need more time to backup my DVD+RW's to a DVD+R.... )...

Or my DVD writer is not supported:-(..
But what brand is it??.. I think its Lite-on or BTC...
(why don't they put it on front??)

I think my reader is lite-on and writer is BTC...
I have to find the boxes / documentions...

Wait a minute... should a PCI snooper find it??.. euhh.. no I don't thiink so..
OK.. I'm talking to myself now.. .. )) its eneugh...

Greetings Chris..

Date: 02 Apr, 2004 on 18:10
ChrisR
Premium member
in user

20. Re:Cd writer
Yes.. I'm getting older:-))
Diskinfo gives me this;..
------------------------------------
0/m: WDC AC28400R 17.01J17 WD-WT6280175455
0/s: ExcelStor Technology J240 VA2OAF0C VNP210J2A6061A
1/m: JLMS XJ-HD165H CH11
1/s: DVD-RW IDE1004 VER 0040
-------------------------------------
Date: 02 Apr, 2004 on 18:17
Cd writer
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 2 | Next >
Go to: