Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
Small OS/2 System (maybe laptop)?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Matt
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 19 Apr, 2004
1. Small OS/2 System (maybe laptop)?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Are there any small logic boards (embedded PCs?) that would run OS/2 version 3 well (including graphics and sound support)?

I want to build a small OS/2 system but would preferfor it to be much tinier than the average PC case and be very quiet and power efficient. I would consider a laptop but if I can find a way to build a tiny PC that would be ideal.

If not that, which laptop is best for OS/2 Warp v3 (AND v4)? Something that has built-in support for graphics and sound and allows for an external VGA monitor?

Thanks!

Date: 28 Apr, 2004 on 07:45
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 26 Nov, 2002
2. Re:Small OS/2 System (maybe laptop)?
Matt,

I can't tell for logic boards, but there was an article in last month's VOICE newsletter about running eCS on a "barebone" PC (a VIA system as far as I recall).
While I remember "barebone" meaning a base PC with case, MoBo, RAM and CPU in order to build up an individual PC, it seems that this term nowadays refers to a all-built-in tiny PC system.
I can't tell for Warp3 compatibility in that matter too, but maybe you'll find some more information?

Thanks to the ongoing efforts od Daniela Engert and others, I think that most of the contemporary notebook PCs are able to run OS/2. I had three notebooks over tha last few years and none of them was an IBM but all were able to run OS/2.
There are some drawbacks of course in matters of PCMCIA or built-in sound chips, but at least with Scitech Snap there shoudn't be showstoppers in matters of graphics chipsets.
I can't however tell for state-of-the-art brand new top models, but if you're able to grab a good used one which is 1 or 2 yeaes old, chances are quite good that it'll work flawlessly.

You might also refer to previous VOICE articles and success stories about other notebooks. I knew that the Notebook/2 site had a wealth of models listed, but it seemed a little outdated and I can't tell what the site is like *now* since it changed to os2warp.be and they are still busy rebuilding/updating it...

Cheers
Thomas

Date: 28 Apr, 2004 on 11:31
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
3. Re:Small OS/2 System (maybe laptop)?
The notebook/2 site is now part of http://www.os2warp.be which also has lists of OS/2-eCS compatible hardware.
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2 Warp-ed/eComStation-ed to the very end.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Date: 28 Apr, 2004 on 14:35
Matt
Normal member
in user

since: 19 Apr, 2004
4. Re:Small OS/2 System (maybe laptop)?
I just now started looking over old laptop models and there is a serious information overload.

Can anyone recommend specific models of ThinkPads (or maybe other brands) that are compatible with Warp 3 (full sound and graphics)? Right now I want to use Warp 3 but will eventually look into basic Warp 4 systems.

Something with a Pentium-M processor hopefully.

Date: 28 Apr, 2004 on 15:57
Small OS/2 System (maybe laptop)?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: