Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
PCMCIA ext. 8x DVD Drive for Laptop and OS/2?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
1. PCMCIA ext. 8x DVD Drive for Laptop and OS/2?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
PCMCIA ext. 8x DVD Drive for Laptop
Will this work with OS/2 (I was not able to get eCS on my Thinkpad). I have an IBM Thinkpad 760el with 120 mhz cpu, 72 meg of ram, and a 1.2 gig hard drive. It has Warp ver 4 with fixpak 15.
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2 Warp-ed/eComStation-ed to the very end.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Date: 30 Apr, 2004 on 21:20
zoron
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 19 Oct, 2003
2. Re:PCMCIA ext. 8x DVD Drive for Laptop and OS/2?
Just guessing but if it is an IDE device then danis506 driver with /PCS switch should work with it.

You would also need the DVD/UDF drivers from ibm, also included with ecs. A new kernel and loader may also be required.

Of course I would not buy one unless you can test it with your system first

Date: 01 May, 2004 on 08:36
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
3. Re:PCMCIA ext. 8x DVD Drive for Laptop and OS/2?
I went and bought it without testing it. It is actually a cd/dvd/cdrw drive that connects by a pcmcia card. According to the manuel, there is OS/2 drivers in/on the included diskette. It is really small and really neat. I just have to get the audio working on my Thinkpad 760EL (I tried the OS/2 drivers from IBM site - the one for this model - but they would not install [I downloaded the uniaud drivers from the same place one gets/downloads Warpvision and will be trying it [it has a newer date than the one from the download sectioin of the eComStation web site]]).
BigWarpGuy
Date: 04 May, 2004 on 14:30
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

4. Re:PCMCIA ext. 8x DVD Drive for Laptop and OS/2?
I tried installing the drivers but some had problems (would not load during booting). It saw the drive but it was kinda slugish. I will try again once I am able to not only get eCS to install on my Thinkpad 760EL but also the audio drivers to work/install onto it.
BigWarpGuy
Date: 07 May, 2004 on 20:15
shezza
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 08 May, 2004
5. Re:PCMCIA ext. 8x DVD Drive for Laptop and OS/2?
Hi - I have a Thinkpad 760E and like you had trouble getting eCs 1.1 to install. I do not have a docking station so can't use both a floppy and cdrom at the same time. I tried the advice on the ecs site about copying the contents of the cdrom to a partition and naming it so that the install disks would recognise it. But so far I cant install ecs on it. probably not too much of a problem as it would be rather slow for ecs - it is only P133 with 48 meg of ram. this model was best suited for warp 3 and a little bit slow under warp 4.

Seems that the ecs install has problems with the drive geometry for this type of drive. I have 1.2g and 2.0 g drives.

What sound card does yours have? - mine is the mwave. The IBM drivers work fine with this one under Warp 4.

Date: 08 May, 2004 on 09:36
zoron
Normal member
in user

since: 19 Oct, 2003
6. Re:PCMCIA ext. 8x DVD Drive for Laptop and OS/2?
You mentioned that performance is sluggish, I would be interested to know the throughput (MB/s).

Some time ago we tested a 16 bit ide pccard (argosy I think) which achieved 1-1.5MB/s. Not bad for this type of card, more than enough for backups but obviously too slow if you want to play movies or similar.

A scsi card gave about 2-3MB/s. We could not find an ide cardbus card at the time but were told that it would get 10MB/s (I think theorectical throughput is 133MB/s).

I doubt installing ecs will improve the performance.

Date: 10 May, 2004 on 06:00
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

7. Re:PCMCIA ext. 8x DVD Drive for Laptop and OS/2?
I was able to boot my TP760EL to Warp ver 4. I installed the drivers for OS/2 that came with the drive. Warp sees/detects and reads the dvd I put into the drive. There seemed to be a couple of minor problems while booting (next time I boot it I will record them) but it seems to work okay even though it has slowed it down - Warp). I tried WarpVision to view the movie but it did not start but only showed the properties box (I can not get audio to work on my TP760EL no matter what driver I use but I was able to get the multimedia support installed).
BigWarpGuy
Date: 10 May, 2004 on 16:20
PCMCIA ext. 8x DVD Drive for Laptop and OS/2?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: