Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
IEEE802.11 "B" Wireless LAN PC Card (PCMCIA) and OS/2?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
1. IEEE802.11 "B" Wireless LAN PC Card (PCMCIA) and OS/2?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
IEEE802.11 "B" Wireless LAN PC Card (PCMCIA)
Will this work with OS/2 on an IBM Thinkpad760EL with 72 meg of ram, 1.2 gig hard drive and about 120 mhz of cpu. It has Warp ver 4 with fixpak 15.
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2 Warp-ed/eComStation-ed to the very end.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Date: 30 Apr, 2004 on 21:22
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
2. Re:IEEE802.11 "B" Wireless LAN PC Card (PCMCIA) and OS/2?
It is a Cyberlink wireless lan pcmcia card; IEEE802.11b. I decided to buy it and try it (after I get my Thinkpad to boot again - I tried installing the OS/2 audio drivers but it crashed - I tried the universal audio drivers but they did not work either [I was hoping to watch movies with my Thinkpad and the DVD pcmcia drive I have - that is another thing all together]).
BigWarpGuy
Date: 07 May, 2004 on 20:12
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
3. Re:IEEE802.11 "B" Wireless LAN PC Card (PCMCIA) and OS/2?
last updated at 08 May, 2004 11:58 (1 times)
Regarding wireless card that have been tested I suggest that you checka out os2warp.be. But the mentioned card is not on the list; but question is what chip it's using. If you can figure out this there might be a solution.

Watching DVD movies on a 120Mhz might be just in the lowest range of CPU power; but worth giving it a try. DivX and XVid won't work you'll need at least a 300 system to get it to spin if you view the movie directly from cd media. If you have a system with a 200-250 mhz system it usually helps a lot to copy in the media file onto the hard drive to get the best performance.

Date: 08 May, 2004 on 11:56
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

4. Re:IEEE802.11 "B" Wireless LAN PC Card (PCMCIA) and OS/2?
.Regarding wireless card that have been tested I suggest that .you checka out os2warp.be. But the mentioned card is not on .the list; but question is what chip it's using. If you can figure .out this there might be a solution.

I have installed it and it seems to be detected by the plugnplay pcmcia software but I have not tried it with a 'hotspot' or any other 'wifi' area.

.Watching DVD movies on a 120Mhz might be just in the lowest range of CPU power; but worth giving it a try. DivX and XVid .won't work you'll need at least a 300 system to get it to spin if .you view the movie directly from cd media. If you have a .system with a 200-250 mhz system it usually helps a lot to .copy in the media file onto the harddr.ive to get the best .performance.

Fortunately it can also be used as a cd burner and view/see cd's. I tried watching a dvd movie with WarpVision but it would not start but only showed the properties box (can not get audio to work even though multimedia was installed [I tried the OS/2 drivers for it and the uniaud but neither seem to work]).

BigWarpGuy
Date: 10 May, 2004 on 16:25
mg
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 01 Aug, 2004
5. Re:IEEE802.11 "B" Wireless LAN PC Card (PCMCIA) and OS/2?
Hello, I just bought a linksyss 802.11G pcmcia wifi adapter. I don't know how to set it up. Could you explain how you installed your adapter and how you got the PnP to recognize it? I use eCS1.1
TIA
mg

BigWarpGuy (10 May, 2004 16:25):
.Regarding wireless card that have been tested I suggest that .you checka out os2warp.be. But the mentioned card is not on .the list; but question is what chip it's using. If you can figure .out this there might be a solution.

I have installed it and it seems to be detected by the plugnplay pcmcia software but I have not tried it with a 'hotspot' or any other 'wifi' area.

.Watching DVD movies on a 120Mhz might be just in the lowest range of CPU power; but worth giving it a try. DivX and XVid .won't work you'll need at least a 300 system to get it to spin if .you view the movie directly from cd media. If you have a .system with a 200-250 mhz system it usually helps a lot to .copy in the media file onto the harddr.ive to get the best .performance.

Fortunately it can also be used as a cd burner and view/see cd's. I tried watching a dvd movie with WarpVision but it would not start but only showed the properties box (can not get audio to work even though multimedia was installed [I tried the OS/2 drivers for it and the uniaud but neither seem to work]).

Date: 01 Aug, 2004 on 17:47
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

6. Re:IEEE802.11 "B" Wireless LAN PC Card (PCMCIA) and OS/2?
I found the drivers (IIRC) either at http://hobbes.nmsu.edu or http://www.os2bbs.com and installed them. That was a little while ago and have tried Win95 on the Thinkpad. I have since reloaded Warp ver 4 to try the Connectix Quickcam (which I got to work but I am looking for other software for it for OS/2). I will try to re-install the wifi drivers and try to remember what I did and where I downloaded the drivers from.

---
BigWarpGuy
Date: 01 Aug, 2004 on 20:55
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
7. Re:IEEE802.11 "B" Wireless LAN PC Card (PCMCIA) and OS/2?

mg (01 Aug, 2004 17:47):
Hello, I just bought a linksyss 802.11G pcmcia wifi adapter. I don't know how to set it up. Could you explain how you installed your adapter and how you got the PnP to recognize it? I use eCS1.1
TIA
mg

Hmm.. main issue here is that the current drivers available for LinkSys does only support 802.11b and not 802.11G. Know that Martin Iturbide bought a LinkSys 54MB card as well and he didn't have any luck with it. So currently the only card supported from LinkSys is the WPC11 card - if there hasn't been any major changes during the last couple of weeks - please then correct me. Since that would be great to have the 54MB support instead of just the 11MB support for wireless.

Date: 02 Aug, 2004 on 10:54
IEEE802.11 "B" Wireless LAN PC Card (PCMCIA) and OS/2?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: