Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
KyroII graphics and OS/2 Install
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
JasonL
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.houston.rr.com/luedke
since: 10 Jun, 2001
1. KyroII graphics and OS/2 Install
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I figured out what was causing my Installation troubles. It's the graphics card (KyroII chipset).

As a test, I removed the card and put in an old S3 Virge card and installed OS/2 to a second hard drive (Where I had Linux installed. I'm giving up on Linux for now because even the generic vga xserver refuses to work with this card.) The installation went perfectly. I then put the KyroII card back in and was able to boot into OS/2.

Now that I know how to get OS/2 installed, I want to go back to my original setup/partition plan and have OS/2 and Win2000 share the 20gb ATA100 drive.

The next step will be to see if the KyroII card will work with the IBM SDD drivers.

Date: 24 Oct, 2001 on 18:46
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
2. Re:KyroII graphics and OS/2 Install
Just plain curious, but Kyroll board what chip is used for this board?
Date: 23 Nov, 2002 on 10:17
JasonL
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.houston.rr.com/luedke
since: 10 Jun, 2001
3. Re:KyroII graphics and OS/2 Install
KyroII is the name of the chipset. The board is a Hercules 3d Prophet 4500

The KyroII is a unique chipset in that it does not use the rendering method that the other brands do (Nvidia, ATI, etc). When the other chips render a 3d scene, they render every possible pixel and then have to go back and take out the hidden pixels. So a lot of processing power goes towards pixels that are never seen. The KyroII uses a "tile based" rendering system that somehow (I have forgotten the details) accounts for hidden pixels before the scene is rendered. So the chip does not have to waste processing power on pixels that will be discarded anyway.

Unfortunately, being a unique chip, it has been difficult finding drivers for non-Windows O/S's. There are beta Linux drivers that worked for Mandrake 8.2, but do not work for 9.0. And Scitech has not yet included KyroII support in SDD or SNAP.

JasonL

Date: 24 Nov, 2002 on 05:20
KyroII graphics and OS/2 Install
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: