Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
300/400 Gig Hard Drives and eCS-OS/2?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
1. 300/400 Gig Hard Drives and eCS-OS/2?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
There seems to be 300 to 400 gigabyte hard drives out (even one with 400 gigabyte). Can eCS-OS/2 be used on them? Would it be a matter of just partitioning them into logical drives/sections?
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2 Warp-ed/eComStation-ed to the very end.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Date: 06 Oct, 2004 on 14:29
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
2. Re:300/400 Gig Hard Drives and eCS-OS/2?
Yes, there is shouldn't be any issue there. Question to ask if your bios within the computer support this kind of large disk.
Date: 06 Oct, 2004 on 16:26
jabesse
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://rblcheck.besse.nl/
since: 05 Jun, 2003
3. Re:300/400 Gig Hard Drives and eCS-OS/2?
My experience with a 160GB drive and eCS12:
- The danis506 driver shipped with eCS resulted in a freeze at bootup on os2lvm.dmd, after I created volumes that cover more than the 1st 127GB of the drive.
- The ibm1s506 driver did not go into ultra DMA mode, resulting in very slow disk access, while taking the processor for more than 50%.
- I downloaded danis506 1.7.0 (from hobbes), this one works flawlessly for my configuration, using all 160GB.
Date: 06 Oct, 2004 on 23:13
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
4. Re:300/400 Gig Hard Drives and eCS-OS/2?
Said above, proper drivers would be great for success. I'm runing an older Celeron 700Mhz system as small fileserver using ACP2 with a 200gb disk. Due to that fact that the bios didn't support larger drivers I slammed in a Promise controller that I had laying around and that did the trick. I'm using Dani drivers version 1.6x (something) and that system works without any problem.
Date: 07 Oct, 2004 on 08:49
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
5. Bootable JFS?
Once bootable JFS for OS/2 comes out, it would mean being able to use larger hard drives with eCS(?).

---
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2 Warp-ed/eComStation-ed to the very end.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Date: 24 Jan, 2005 on 18:17
Kim
Team member
in staff

6. Re:Bootable JFS?

BigWarpGuy (24 Jan, 2005 18:17):
Once bootable JFS for OS/2 comes out, it would mean being able to use larger hard drives with eCS(?).

Well, as long the bios supports large drive as well; so if you set up the boot partition using hpfs and then the rest of the drive using jfs then it works. Also, if you let's say buy a Promise controller from eBay, make sure the card you buy can support large drives as well, even thoose cards tend to have a limit and most of the times you're able yo upgrade the bios on the Promise controller as well, but always good to check an extra time. Also it's really cool now when Hitachi released a 500gb drive... that's really great, two of thoose and one have 1 terra of diskspace...

Date: 24 Jan, 2005 on 18:41
Radek
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 17 Jul, 2003
7. Re:300/400 Gig Hard Drives and eCS-OS/2?
BIOS is unessential once the operating system is running, it is not used at all. As far as HDs are concerned, note that int 13 simply cannot support large disks: the whole addressing of a HD must fit in 24 bits, which limits the supported HDs to 8G in LBA.

Nevertheless, BIOS is used when the system is started, simply because there's nothing else that could operate your HD. This can result in a neccessity to have the operating system in the first 8G of the HD so that LBA can address it. Theoretically, a boot manager can take over the basic HD control and make available a bigger part of a HD during system startup but I don't know, whether some boot manager does that.

Once the operating system is running, HD becomes a matter of filesystems supported by the operating system and HD drivers. A HPFS partition cannot be larger that 64G but a JFS partition can be up to 2T. Therefore, there should not be a problem with a 400G disk theoretically. Create a system partition, which must be HPFS and, therefore, smaller than 64G, and then create JFS data partitions on the disk.
The filesystem should allow that. Another thing is the driver. If you have encountered problems with Daniella's drivers then be sure, that you cannot get better disk drivers for OS/2. It's time to contatct Daniella and listen to a guru

Date: 24 Jan, 2005 on 20:03
Kim
Team member
in staff

8. Re:300/400 Gig Hard Drives and eCS-OS/2?
Agree with what you say Radek, but one should be aware of that the ide controller used should be able to handle the size of the disk one connects. I mean getting an old IBM PC330 to boot on and recognise a 200gb disk was impossible for me. Even if I manage to get it to work with the disk it manage to drop the disk after each soft reset. So claiming that any drive would work out in any system might fool people into buying a 600gb disk and belive that it will work without any problem - it might or it might not.
Date: 24 Jan, 2005 on 21:10
PeterSkye
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 04 May, 2003
9. Re:300/400 Gig Hard Drives and eCS-OS/2?
> ... the ide controller used should be able to handle the size of the disk

I didn't realize that some IDE controller hardware didn't support a disk as large as the cable would permit. How can I determine what maximum size my own IDE hardware will support?

- Peter

Date: 25 Jan, 2005 on 22:09
Kim
Team member
in staff

10. Re:300/400 Gig Hard Drives and eCS-OS/2?
Recommend that you check with the hardware manufactor; but in your case - what kind of system do you have?
Date: 25 Jan, 2005 on 23:37
PeterSkye
Normal member
in user

11. Re:300/400 Gig Hard Drives and eCS-OS/2?
> what kind of system do you have?

The one I'm curious about has an EFA motherboard with an Award BIOS dated Nov1997.

I'm curious about the IDE electronics -- I assumed they supported all the conductors in the cable but perhaps not.

Date: 26 Jan, 2005 on 11:23
Radek
Normal member
in user

since: 17 Jul, 2003
12. Re:300/400 Gig Hard Drives and eCS-OS/2?
If you decide to install an operating system on a certain disk then BIOS *must* be able to operate the disk. That's because it's BIOS who will operate the disk at the very beginning of the system startup. Later on, the operating system itself will take over the control of your HD.

In general, your BIOS and your machine needs to satisfy the following:
- The disk must be seen by the BIOS.
- The BIOS must be able to operate the disk somehow, at least, partially. In most cases, it means that the BIOS must accept "user" type of the HD (the predefined types of HDs are now ancient history, which we can forget safely) and the HD adapter and BIOS must be both able of LBA addressing. That's because even a very big HD can be set to LBA mode. In the LBA mode, the first 8G of the disk will be accessible, even if the disk is much bigger. Once the operating system gains control, it will reset your HD to more suitable mode.

Old machines need not satisfy this. A very old BIOSes need not allow "user" type of HD. Old HD adapters need not support LBA. Old BIOSes need not support LBA as well. In all these cases, you will meet serious problems with using contemporary disks. Not only with OS/2 but with any operating system.

Date: 26 Jan, 2005 on 13:29
PeterSkye
Normal member
in user

13. Re:300/400 Gig Hard Drives and eCS-OS/2?
Not the motherboard BIOS. Kim said "the ide controller used should be able to handle the size of the disk" and I didn't know the IDE controller hardware sometimes didn't support the large drive. A Google search on "IDE cable pinout" shows that there are 16 data lines (see http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_IDE.html). I assume all controllers support the 16 data lines so there's something else going on -- possibly the IDE controller hardware doesn't support some new handshake that the newer drivers are using.
Date: 27 Jan, 2005 on 10:12
300/400 Gig Hard Drives and eCS-OS/2?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: