Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
Wireless miniPCI
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
landreth
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 11 Mar, 2003
1. Wireless miniPCI
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Even if there are sites with tons of info regarding hardware for OS2 - I would still take the opportunity of asking what would be the best miniPCI card to buy for a laptop to be used, of course, under OS/2?
Date: 13 Oct, 2004 on 22:52
Trident
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 18 May, 2004
2. Re:Wireless miniPCI
Hello, well you only have a few choices for wireless under OS/2.
IBM has a minipci card, which has an native OS/2 driver..
as far as pcmcia slots again thene is only 3 or 4..
Atrem, Cisco system, Bellkin has one that uses a prism 2.5 chip.
and thats just about it....
The Cisco 340\350, has native OS/2 drivers and is an easy install
and works great..
I would pop into the IRC os2 chat room and ask some people in
there, what they are using...
Best
ps: although the warp siter that covers wireless running under OS/2
seems to be dated, it is still the best way to get started...
Date: 15 Oct, 2004 on 14:44
landreth
Normal member
in user

3. Re:Wireless miniPCI
last updated at 15 Oct, 2004 20:19 (1 times)
Hmmm. would an IBM 802.11a/b/g MiniPCI work with OS2? I mean checking os2warp.be won't give a clear picture if it works or not...

I tried out with a Cisco minipci 350 card as well and that won't work. Would you have any other reports I would be happy to hear about that.

Date: 15 Oct, 2004 on 20:18
Trident
Normal member
in user

since: 18 May, 2004
4. Re:Wireless miniPCI
to my knowledge there are no driver that support (g), which would
be backward compatible with (b)...
Right now you only have support for 802.11b, which is plenty fast..
again everyone rushes to the (fastest) speed..and I guess when the
hardware is that same price, for any of the cards..
Like I said, my desktop has the netgeart MA311, it works great
uses the IBMprisim driver....
My laptop runs the Cisco 340 pcmcia with native drivers for os/2
Best
Date: 22 Oct, 2004 on 15:35
LewisR
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.2rosenthals.com
since: 16 Aug, 2003
5. Re:Wireless miniPCI
There is curently no driver available for the tri-mode IBM or Intel cards. In fact, there are no 802.11g drivers at all, though there are rumors of a wrapper which has been ported to OS/2 to allow loading the Win32 driver (for the Atheros chipset, I believe).

Anyway, the best supported cards are the Cisco 340 & 350 PCMCIA, IBM High Rate (802.11b) PCMCIA and mPCI, and the Artem 802.11b PCMCIA cards.

Best sources of informtation are the OS/2 Wireless Users mailing list, hosted on my server (send an email to steward@2rosenthals.com with the words "subscribe os2-wireless_users" in the body; archives of the list are available at http://www.2rosenthals.com/lists/os2-wireless_users ) and the OS/2 Compatible Hardware List at http://www.os2warp.be.

Best of luck with your Wi-Fi venture, and drop us a note on the mailing list to let us know how you make out!

PS - Warpstock 2004 in Denver this past weekend was absolutely terrific. Next year, everyone involved with Wi-Fi on OS/2 should attend, and everyone who wants more information - hands on, in many cases, or straight from the developers' mouths - should attend.

---
Lewis
--------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA
Rosenthal & Rosenthal

Date: 26 Oct, 2004 on 05:04
landreth
Normal member
in user

6. Re:Wireless miniPCI
Regarding the IBM mpci card, would this card have PN# 22P7701 ?
Date: 26 Oct, 2004 on 13:02
Wireless miniPCI
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: