Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
AMD64, SATA, & PCI Express?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Mike
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 03 Feb, 2005
1. AMD64, SATA, & PCI Express?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I am about to purchase a new PC and am wondering how Warp 4 will cope with the above.

I have an encouraging tip sheet from Daniela Egbert regarding amd64 and I understand that SATA should be ok
but I have heard ambiguous reports about PCI express under OS/2

TIA

Regards

Mike in Cheltenham, UK
Warp 4.50 fp15 Warpzilla 1.8a6

Date: 03 Feb, 2005 on 18:51
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
2. Re:AMD64, SATA, & PCI Express?
last updated at 03 Feb, 2005 22:41 (1 times)
Well regarding PCI Express, Steva @ SciTech got a similar question; so posting what was said in scitech.snap.graphics.os2 and as well check this thread as well:

According to the SciTech website, the X700 Pro is not listed as being supported, so I think the question is, are there any plans to support it in the near future?

It's on the list of things to do, but I cannot promise when it will happen. We do not yet have hardware or specs for it.

Also, is PCI Express graphics cards supported (in general) under eCS?

Sure, there's nothing special about it from the OS standpoint.

Date: 03 Feb, 2005 on 22:39
Mike
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
3. Re:AMD64, SATA, & PCI Express?
Thanks Kim

That sounds promising, I read the thread but it does sound as though it may be wiser to wait until things are a bit clearer.

---
Regards

Mike in Cheltenham, UK

Date: 04 Feb, 2005 on 06:28
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
4. Re:AMD64, SATA, & PCI Express?
There are already people running with pci express based graphics cards for OS2. So I wouldn't say there is any need to wait, just get a proper supported card or a card that will be supported by the snap drivers, such as ATI and Matrox.
Date: 04 Feb, 2005 on 07:49
Mike
Normal member
in user

5. Re:AMD64, SATA, & PCI Express?
I have another requirement for my new PC = I want to install Linux as well - probablt SUSE 9.2 or Mandrake 10.1

---
Regards

Mike in Cheltenham, UK

Date: 04 Feb, 2005 on 09:40
James
Normal member
in user

since: 13 Feb, 2005
6. Re:AMD64, SATA, & PCI Express?

Mike (03 Feb, 2005 18:51):
I am about to purchase a new PC and am wondering how Warp 4 will cope with the above.

I have an encouraging tip sheet from Daniela Egbert regarding amd64 and I understand that SATA should be ok
but I have heard ambiguous reports about PCI express under OS/2

TIA

I am running an AMD64 with a WD Raptor SATA drive with eCS1.2. Did I mention how much I like the performance of this machine?

Unless you really have the hots for PCI Express, better to get an AMD64 now. The prices have dropped, the motherboards have been out for awhile with no major glitches, and the performance is very good. Note that you will have to modify installation procedures. My direct experience is that eCS will not install from the distribution CDs. There are methods available as workarounds..

If you make an AMD64 purchase and need help with installation, I can provide many pointers to get your machine up and running.

Also remember that Intel's recent track record with new chipsets is not great. There could be some glitches with those new boards that have not been widely reported yet...

Date: 13 Feb, 2005 on 02:06
Mike
Normal member
in user

7. Re:AMD64, SATA, & PCI Express?
Thanks James

I have just ordered a refurbished HP Pavillion T650 Athlon 64 3200 without PCI ex.

So hopefully next week I will be getting to grips with a Warp 4 installation.

So wish me luck<g>

---
Regards

Mike in Cheltenham, UK

Date: 13 Feb, 2005 on 16:18
James
Normal member
in user

8. Re:AMD64, SATA, & PCI Express?

A few preliminaries. Make sure that you keep or have access to your current machine that you installed Warp/eCS on.

The two best-known methods of installing are cloning and a network install.

Enough for now. I'll check back when you are actually ready to begin...

---
James in SoCalifornia

Date: 14 Feb, 2005 on 10:08
Mike
Normal member
in user

9. Re:AMD64, SATA, & PCI Express?
I have received my new HP and is up and running with XP home.

I suppose my first move it to get Partition Magic 8 to repartition the disk

---
Regards

Mike in Cheltenham, UK

Date: 16 Feb, 2005 on 11:21
James
Normal member
in user

10. Re:AMD64, SATA, & PCI Express?

Mike (16 Feb, 2005 11:21):
I have received my new HP and is up and running with XP home.

I suppose my first move it to get Partition Magic 8 to repartition the disk

Hullo Mike,

I sent you email about this 3-4 days ago and you have not responded. If you have already installed eCS-OS/2, then great. If you are still installing then I'm just checking up on you and if you need help just reply...

---
James in SoCalifornia

Date: 27 Feb, 2005 on 02:35
Mike
Normal member
in user

11. Re:AMD64, SATA, & PCI Express?
Thanks James for your message - I am sorry I have not replied earlier but my ISP has had a major outage and I have not been able to send or receive mail.

I have been using OS/2 since 2.1 and have some experience in installing. I have not installed OS/2 yet on the new HP yet(writing this on my old AMD 233mhz Warp 4 system which still works fine) and am still mulling over my options. One thing I had not thought to check before ordering is that it has no floppy drive.

My current thinking is that I need Partition Magic 8 to partition my disk which I will need anyway but I do not know if it can still format for HPFS(I suppose I could Partition with 8 and use my older version 5 to format partitions to HPFS)

From there my thinking is that I have the following options:-

1. Buy an extra hard disk and attach it to my temporarily to my old warp system and HOTSERV XCOPY the warp 4 system to the new disk then install the new disk on the new machine and move the system to a partition with the same drive letter. I realize that I would need to change some configuration changes to the new system.

2. Buy ECS 1.2 and install that. (I have ECS 1.0 but never bothered to install it - didn't like the idea of LVM and not being able to resize partitions. Installed SmartSuite though )

3. Buy a floppy drive and use this to install from modified floppies

Do you know whether I am still limited to installing on a partition that reside below the 8.4 GB limit?

Thanks in advance

--
Regards

---
Regards

Mike in Cheltenham, UK

Date: 27 Feb, 2005 on 11:46
magog
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.jmdb.de/
since: 23 Jun, 2002
12. Re:AMD64, SATA, & PCI Express?
last updated at 27 Feb, 2005 17:01 (2 times)
You can use DFSee to change the size of the WinXP Partition.
Download the latest bootable ISO Image here:
http://www.dfsee.com/dfsee/cdrom.htm#cd8cm

Steps you need to do...
1.) Defrag the WinXP partition (maybe serveral times needed, because that WinXP Tool is stupid and doesn't move most of the data in a single step)
2.) Do a chkdsk on the WinXP drive (this is done on a reboot)
3.) Boot from DFSee CD
4.) DFSee: Select partition to work with (the one that should be shrinked)
5.) DFSee: Select the shrink option and enter the new size (DFSee shows the lowest possible size - possible Problems: there are unmovable blocks on that drive at the end that can't but cut off and these haven't been moved by WinXP Defrag).
6.) Now you can create new partitions (with DFSee) or from a booted eCS 1.x

I did this with the X31 I received end of December 2004 to install eCS on it.
I booted eCS 1.2 from a 128 MB USB Stick (the X31 has also no floppy nor CD/DVD-ROM) and got the rest from an external CD-ROM drive that was attached via PC-CARD Slot.
If you've got a big USB-Stick you can put the complete eCS CD on that stick!

A tool to create a bootable USB Stick from ISO-Images can be downloaded here:
http://www.prime-expert.com/flashboot/

If you only want to create the standard bootfloppy (disk 0-2) on the USB-Stick you need Veit Kannegiessers MEMDISK.
http://www.informatik.tu-cottbus.de/~vk/test2/index_e.htm
1.) You only need to create a bootable USB Stick.
I used this one..maybe it's not needed:
===
Windows-based Format Utility for HP Drive Key or DiskOnKey USB Device
*** This also works with other USB Sticks/Keys ***
Stand: 2004-05-17
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/21284.html
===
2.) Copy the files from the "BOOTIMGS" directory (eCS 1.2) to the USB-Stick
3.) Add the 512 byte bootblock patch with Veits MEMDISK to the USB-Stick (Windows versions of MEMDISK should also be around)
4.) Boot from USB-Stick.

[Edit: Newer HP-Tool Link]

Regards,
Juergen Ulbts (Germany)

*** Java Movie Database - http://www.jmdb.de ***
*** Work on new version has been resumed ***
*** Webpage has been updated ***

Date: 27 Feb, 2005 on 16:50
Mike
Normal member
in user

13. Re:AMD64, SATA, & PCI Express?
Thanks Juergen

But I never really understood DFSEE - I did buy a licence for version 5 but have not bothered to update to later versions.

I think I will buy Partition Magic which I have found a dodle to use.

When it arrives I will be using your other advice

Thanks

---
Regards

Mike in Cheltenham, UK

Date: 04 Mar, 2005 on 19:36
Fahrvenugen
Normal member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
14. Re:AMD64, SATA, & PCI Express?
last updated at 05 Mar, 2005 04:20 (1 times)
Hi Mike,

If you've got a working Warp 4 system with a CD burner, instead of messing with floppies, I'd suggest using Updcd to create an updated Warp 4 bootable installation CD. Updcd can create from your original Warp 4 CD a bootable build of Warp 4 with the latest Fixpaks already installed (so no need to spend time installing fixpaks later). It can also set things up so it will install quite a number of additional applications and utilities (the latest Java, Mozilla / Firefox, SNAP drivers, and a whole host of other stuff). You can even set it up to use the Danis drivers instead of the IBM ones. It makes installing on newer hardware a lot easier as you can burn your custom build of Warp 4 to a "bootable" CD. You can find Updcd at:

http://xenia.sote.hu/~kadzsol/rexx/sajat/updcd.htm

The one area may be getting it to work on an AMD64. I have no idea if the IBM installer will work on an AMD64 or not - I've never had such a machine to try it out on.

Date: 05 Mar, 2005 on 04:19
Mike
Normal member
in user

15. Re:AMD64, SATA, & PCI Express?
Unfortunately my current Warp 4 System is on an old AMD233 mhz which is lucky to have a cd rom let alone a cd burner.

But there's a thought, maybe fit a cheap CD Burner?

Thanks

---
Regards

Mike in Cheltenham, UK

Date: 05 Mar, 2005 on 10:00
Fahrvenugen
Normal member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
16. Re:AMD64, SATA, & PCI Express?
Mike,

If you're wondering if an old 233 will work with a CD burner, you should be okay. Before I got my current desktop I used an original Pentium 1 - 100 Mhz (1995 vintage) running at 64 Megs RAM and an IDE 16X CD burner. I used to burn CD's on it all the time and never had a problem under Warp (using Audio-Data CD Creator with CDRecord/2, the Danis drivers and ASPIROUT.SYS) - even burning at full 16X and surfing the web or doing something else at the same time while burning. Not once did I get a "bad burn" under Warp.

An interesting side note, under Windows 98 running with the Easy CD Creator software (I had the machine set up for dual boot with Win98 and OS/2) I had to drop the speed of the burn down to 4X - otherwise every time I tried to burn it would be unsuccessful. And forget about multi-tasking while burning! Of course, the specs on the burner when I bought it called for a minimum of a PII, 366...

As for getting Warp installed, another option you might want to consider is a network install - if you have network cards in both machines. Use Updcd to create an "updated" copy of the Warp 4 CD on the HD of your old 233. Then there should be a way to use the network install, but have it pull from the "updated" CD image. I havn't tried this myself, but I'm sure it can be done. You would then need to find a floppy drive and mess with boot floppies on your new machine though. If you are just needing a floppy temporarily to get things up and running, why not pull the floppy from your old machine, at least long enough for that purpose?

Date: 06 Mar, 2005 on 05:48
Mike
Normal member
in user

17. Re:AMD64, SATA, & PCI Express?
Updcd may be the answer WITHOUThardware changes. I haven't read all the info yet bot it seems that you can create a new OS/2 bootable image on the old amd 233. transfer the image(flash memory card) to the XP system then burn the image to cd.

I would then have an up to date bootable cd to intall on a new partitio.

The only problem I can think of at the moment is freeing up enough disk space on the old amd system.

---
Regards

Mike in Cheltenham, UK

Date: 06 Mar, 2005 on 16:31
Mikeh
Normal member
in user

since: 13 Dec, 2003
18. Re:AMD64, SATA, & PCI Express?
Just an update on the above.
My progress has been very slow mainly due to work commitments.
I have cleared enough space to create an iso image file via UPDCD and I have created one successfully.

My next job was to get Partition Magic 8 and resize the xp partition and create new partitions for Warp 4 and Linux. I seem to remember that I need to reduce the XP partition down enough sot that I can get the OS/2 base partition within the 8.4mb limit.

I suddenely remembered that PM has this annoying habit of creating windows type extended partition which is unuseable by OS/2. As far as I know the only way to correct this is to boot to DOS via the PM DOS diskette and usig PTEDIT to change the extended partition type to the correct 05 type.

There i an acronym NOBO - "never overlook the bleeding obvious"!!! - If my new PC does not have a floppy drive, why not fit on!

I checked online and found a Sony drive for about £4 (about $2) - incredible! I got the drive and a data cable and fitted it - extremely simple to do.

That is how matters stand at present.

I would like to thank everyone who has helped me so far.

---
Mike in Cheltenham UK
OS/2 Warp 4.50
Warpzilla 1.6b

Date: 17 Apr, 2005 on 17:12
AMD64, SATA, & PCI Express?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: