Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
eCS & SATA devices
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Jos
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 06 Apr, 2003
1. eCS & SATA devices
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hi,

Does anyone know if eCS has any issues with SATA 150 HDDs??

I am looking at a "DiamondMax Plus10 SATA NCQ 300Gb 16Mb Cache Hard Disk Drive <9.0ms 7200rpm", and want to install in my eCS 1.2 system - as a data drive(no OS) - although knowing that at install time eCS recognised and could partition it would also be of interest.

Jos

We are what we consistently do, excellence therefore is a habit, not an accident.
Aristotle
Date: 21 Feb, 2005 on 03:48
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
2. Re:eCS & SATA devices
I think this thread should answer some of the questions that you might have.
Date: 21 Feb, 2005 on 09:36
James
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 13 Feb, 2005
3. Re:eCS & SATA devices

Jos (21 Feb, 2005 03:4:
Hi,

Depends on your controller. Via 8237 and Intel are supported. AFAIK, the Promise controller is still not supported, but check the latest version of the DANI drivers.

What is needed is that you use at least version 1.6.8 of the DANI drivers and if the disk has never been parttitioned before, you will probably need to add the /!BIOS switch for that drive. At that point it can be setup just like any other hard disk under OS/2.

Running a WD Raptor SATA drive here as the boot drive with a Via 8237 controller and it works perfectly.

---
James in SoCalifornia

Date: 24 Feb, 2005 on 23:35
dljone9
Normal member
in user

since: 13 Jan, 2003
4. Re:eCS & SATA devices
Interesting - I had tried the Promise (Maxtor) SATA controller
with the latest danis506.add driver, and was not able to get it
to work. However - I did not use the /!BIOS switch - I wonder
if that would have made a difference?? Perhaps I could try it...

James (24 Feb, 2005 23:35):

Jos (21 Feb, 2005 03:4:
Hi,

Depends on your controller. Via 8237 and Intel are supported. AFAIK, the Promise controller is still not supported, but check the latest version of the DANI drivers.

What is needed is that you use at least version 1.6.8 of the DANI drivers and if the disk has never been parttitioned before, you will probably need to add the /!BIOS switch for that drive. At that point it can be setup just like any other hard disk under OS/2.

Running a WD Raptor SATA drive here as the boot drive with a Via 8237 controller and it works perfectly.

Date: 25 Feb, 2005 on 00:48
Jos
Normal member
in user

5. Re:eCS & SATA devices
Hi,

Thanks to everyone who responded...... I decided to bite the bullet and installed to a scratch system.

Intel D915PBL 800mhz Mainboard
Intel P4 LGA775 3.2ghz processor
Maxtor "DiamondMax Plus10 SATA NCQ 300Gb 16Mb Cache"

eCS 1.2 installation(Dani's drivers) read the disk without issue, and I was able to generate the partitions as I desired. So a very "happy chappy"..........

My only disappointments are with the "uni-drivers" - Sci-Tech gives me base support only on the Abit Radeon RX600 PCI-E card, and the Audio driver does not appear to support the 915P Intel High Definition in anyway shape or form....

Jos

---
We are what we consistently do, excellence therefore is a habit, not an accident.
Aristotle

Date: 25 Feb, 2005 on 02:52
dljone9
Normal member
in user

since: 13 Jan, 2003
6. Re:eCS & SATA devices
Thanks, good to know - what is the SATA chipset manufacturer???

Jos (25 Feb, 2005 02:52):
Hi,

Thanks to everyone who responded...... I decided to bite the bullet and installed to a scratch system.

Intel D915PBL 800mhz Mainboard
Intel P4 LGA775 3.2ghz processor
Maxtor "DiamondMax Plus10 SATA NCQ 300Gb 16Mb Cache"

eCS 1.2 installation(Dani's drivers) read the disk without issue, and I was able to generate the partitions as I desired. So a very "happy chappy"..........

My only disappointments are with the "uni-drivers" - Sci-Tech gives me base support only on the Abit Radeon RX600 PCI-E card, and the Audio driver does not appear to support the 915P Intel High Definition in anyway shape or form....

Jos

Date: 25 Feb, 2005 on 04:34
Jos
Normal member
in user

7. Re:eCS & SATA devices
Hi

The Chipset is an Intel 915P Express Chipset, comprising:-

1. I/O Controller Hub Chipset is an Intel 82801FR (ICH6-R) supporting Matrix Storage Technology(This is the SATA controller)

2. Intel 82915P Memory Conrol Hub(MCH) with Direct Media Interface

Regards

Jos

---
Aristotle

Date: 25 Feb, 2005 on 13:41
James
Normal member
in user

8. Re:eCS & SATA devices

dljone9 (25 Feb, 2005 00:4:
Interesting - I had tried the Promise (Maxtor) SATA controller
with the latest danis506.add driver, and was not able to get it
to work. However - I did not use the /!BIOS switch - I wonder
if that would have made a difference?? Perhaps I could try it...

Not likely. The /!BIOS switch is only for new drives that have never been partitioned before. Support for the Promise controller is a separate issue. Last I heard, Dani was trying to add support, but the Promise uses a distinctly different methodology and it was difficult to add to a "one-version generic driver".

Also, from what I have heard, the NCQ that is being ballyhooed by some manufacturers is essentially irrelevant to all controllers in current use. Evidently the controller itself must support the NCQ these drives expect and as of a few months ago none of the available controllers had that support.

---
James in SoCalifornia
Date: 26 Feb, 2005 on 00:14
Jos
Normal member
in user

9. Re:eCS & SATA devices
Hi James,

If understand your last - forgive me if I misread.... you are questioning whether the controller, & as a consequence eCS will support the NCQ?

Well as I have found, eCS +Danis drivers delivered with eCS 1.2 have no issue with this SATA drive, or this controller. They all appear to be living in perfect harmony.

Regards

Jos

---
Aristotle

Date: 26 Feb, 2005 on 00:25
James
Normal member
in user

10. Re:eCS & SATA devices

Jos (26 Feb, 2005 00:25):
Hi James,

If understand your last - forgive me if I misread.... you are questioning whether the controller, & as a consequence eCS will support the NCQ?

Well as I have found, eCS +Danis drivers delivered with eCS 1.2 have no issue with this SATA drive, or this controller. They all appear to be living in perfect harmony.

Regards

Jos

The NCQ refers to a PERFORMANCE ENHANCEMENT above and beyond standard access.

---
James in SoCalifornia

Date: 26 Feb, 2005 on 00:34
eCS & SATA devices
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: