Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
os/2 2.1 video drivers?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
madcrow
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 23 Feb, 2005
1. os/2 2.1 video drivers?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I've recently got os/2 2.1 working in the qemu emulator, but i was wondering if drivers exist that would let me do better than 640x480x4bpp. the emulator emulates a Cirrus Logic CLGD 5446-based board or a generic VGA + VESA 2 card. are there either generic VESA SVGA drivers or drivers for the CL board available for 2.1 or am i stuck?
Date: 23 Feb, 2005 on 16:30
cyberspittle
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 09 Dec, 2002
2. Re:os/2 2.1 video drivers?
last updated at 24 Feb, 2005 00:57 (1 times)
OS/2 2.x drivers would be hard to find. If you had version 3 "Warp" you could upgrade it with a fixpack and then use SciTech Software's "Display Doctor". As 2.1 still had some 16-bit code hidden, I am sure SciTech drivers would NOT work.

One possiblity, is to go to Hobbes (http://hobbes.nmsu.edu) and look for drivers that work with 2.1. Be sure to check the Cirrus Logic website and search for any legacy (2.x) drivers there. Older BBS/websites (TUCows) may be of help too. Don't forget to use your favorite search engine.

One problem with technology is the lack of interest by companies to have support/drivers available for older versions of software. Many companies that had drivers for early versions of OS/2 don't even allow access to it via the web. It is like finding drivers for Windows 3.1 for older hardware that was once available, but I'm sure you already knew that.

Date: 24 Feb, 2005 on 00:52
RadarCat
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2warplinks.com
since: 29 Jan, 2005
3. Re:os/2 2.1 video drivers?

Hi, MadCrow,

You may wish to check at my web site,
OS2WarpLinks, for drivers at:

http://www.os2warplinks.com/main/drivers.htm

This particular web page lists international web sites that specialize in drivers for OS/2 and OS/2 Warp.

Incidentally, despite OS/2's reputation for not
having drivers available, it is the biggest links page on my web site !!

RadarCat, Webmaster
http://www.os2warplinks.com

Date: 24 Feb, 2005 on 08:10
madcrow
Normal member
in user

since: 23 Feb, 2005
4. Re:os/2 2.1 video drivers?
thanx for the response. using google, i managed to find the official drivers cirrus logic put out for the emulated card. sadly, the card emulation is not yet complete enough for the driver installation program and i get told that i don't have a card with correct chipset guess i'm stuck with 640x480 until the qemu folks get their video emulation in order.

as for os/2 3.0, i have it, it just won't install in the emulator. it hangs while loading disk 1 (after the loading please wait screen, it goes to a black screen with an unblinking cursor in one corner and just sits there...) actually i had initially wanted to install 3.0 so that i could play trials of battle again..

Date: 25 Feb, 2005 on 15:24
os/2 2.1 video drivers?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: