Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Hardware
Keyboard not found or keyboard error?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
1. Keyboard not found or keyboard error?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I installed a new Chaintech CT-7NJL6 board. I installed two DDR's with 256 meg each. I have an AMD XP 2900+ cpu (400FSB Barton Core) cpu. I have a cpu cooler/fan that is made for it. I have an 80 gig hard drive, a cdrw drive and a dvdrw drive. I have a nic with Realtek chipset pci card. The board has onboard sound, usb and a nic card. It does not go past the 'keyboard error ... ' message. I am unable to get to the bios. I have tried three ps2 keyboards and one usb keyboard. It does not see any of them. What could cause the error? I have contacted Chaintech. They to try resetting the cpu, the memory and the cmos (via a jumper). I have tried them but the problem still occurs. They said it could be the power supply. I do not have any other power supply to try it with. I have other dimms but no other ddr's. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2 Warp-ed/eComStation-ed to the very end.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Date: 10 Mar, 2005 on 15:16
Radek
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 17 Jul, 2003
2. Re:Keyboard not found or keyboard error?
At any rate, it's not a matter of CPU (because you have got the "keyboard error" etc. message), neither a matter of RAM (the same reason) or CMOS (AFAIK, it has nothing common with a keyboard AND you would get another errors before the keyboard error). I suspect the motherboard.

My recommendation is the following: Get another motherboard somewhere and assembly your machine on it. The motherboard need not be an athlon motherboard, you can use another CPU because the CPU is out of suspicion definitely. Assembly your machine on it and see whether it will work.

Date: 10 Mar, 2005 on 16:43
Fahrvenugen
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 10 Aug, 2004
3. Re:Keyboard not found or keyboard error?
Hmmm. This does sound a little wierd. A few things to check come to mind.

1. Make sure this MB doesn't have a "disable keyboard" jumper on it. I've seen a few MB's in the past which had such a jumper, and if it were set to "disable" without setting the same option in the bios, you'd get a keyboard error on startup. It is unlikely this is the case - on most systems now days the keyboard enabled/disabled is handled entirely through the bios, also since you've already talked to Chaintech, if it was something like a jumper I'd think they would have suggested this. But it is worth having a look.

2. It could be a power issue. Do you know what the rated wattage output on your power supply is? It usually will have a sticker on the side of the power supply which states its rating. While I don't know the specifics of your system based on what you've described, it sounds like you're using between 220 and 250 Watts. Generally it is a good idea to have a power supply which is rated higher then what your system uses - on modern systems like yours I generally recommend at least a 350 Watt supply.

For testing purposes, try running with minimal cards plugged into the MB. Install only 1 stick of memory. Reduce power consumption to a minimum. Unplug the hard disk, floppy, CD Rom (unplug both power and data cables). Pull out the NIC, sound card, modem, or anything else plugged into the system - get a "bare" system with 1 stick of memory, the video card, the keyboard plugged in, the cooling fans (Be sure to have this plugged in - especially with the AMD XP chip - it gets hot really quick!) and the monitor. You don't even need a mouse. Power it up, see if you get a memory check and if you can hit DEL (or whatever key it is) to enter into the BIOS. It might complain about not having a floppy or a hard disk, but if it does not come up with a keyboard error you should be able to get into the BIOS.

If you are able to get into the BIOS and move around the menu system with your keyboard, then I'd put power supply near the top of the list as the likely culprit - especially if the rating on your power supply is anything lower then 250 Watts. To get the system up and running, you might want to try just adding a few things back (maybe run it without the DVD and see if you can get things up and running). But if this is the case, your main remedy will be to buy a new power supply.

I should mention that in the old days of the ISA bus, I'd also suggest checking the IRQ's on any ISA cards and make sure none conflicted with the keyboard. But these days this is no longer an issue - besides, it wouldn't effect both the PS/2 port and a USB keyboard.

Aside from these suggestions, the only other thing that comes to mind is a faulty MB - in which case send it back. But I'd check these items first.

Hope this helps.

Date: 10 Mar, 2005 on 17:13
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
4. Re:Keyboard not found or keyboard error?
Thanks for the help. I will try the different suggestions.

IIRC - the power is 300 wats. I will have to check it again. I will also check to see if there is a 'disable' jumper. I know there is a 'wake on lan' jumper and a 'wake on modem' jumper but I do not know they make a difference. The board is from Tiger Direct but they just said to contact Chaintech.

More on this as I go. Thanks again for the help.

---
BigWarpGuy

Date: 10 Mar, 2005 on 21:25
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

5. Re:Keyboard not found or keyboard error?
PS
I do have a NIC inserted into a pci slot and it has a NIC built into the mainboard. I also have a USB PCI card. I will take them out and try them. Thanks for the suggestion. The only card I will leave in is the AGP card since it does not have video built into the board.

---
BigWarpGuy
Date: 10 Mar, 2005 on 21:26
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

since: 26 Nov, 2002
6. Re:Keyboard not found or keyboard error?
Hi BigWarpGuy,

...please don't laugh at this and don't flame me; this one is serious, for I've seen this happening to some people:
Did you make sure to not mess up the mouse and keyboard PS/2 plugs? It might be the case that if you plug the PS/2-mouse into the keyboard connector, even a USB keyboard won't be recognized.
Unplug all PS/2 devices (mouse, kbd) then only plug the keyboard in. If it doesn't work, plug it into the other ps/2 connector to see if it makes a difference.

Normally, I would suspect the mainboard to be defective, but in your case then the USB keyboard should work as it would not be "operated" by a dedicated controller chip. Back in the old days, I remember mainboards had dedicated keyboard controller chips, I don't know if that's still the case today or if they are integrated into the [whatever]-chipset/bridge controllers.

If swapping the ps/2 plugs doesn't work, I would suggest you'ld better return the mainboard. Those keyboards you tried - are they okay on other PCs?

Greetings
(keeping fingers crossed)
Thomas

Date: 11 Mar, 2005 on 10:13
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

7. Re:Keyboard not found or keyboard error?
No need to laugh or flame you. I have tried your suggestion. I have switched the keyboard and mouse connections. It still did not work. I will try using the keyboard without the mouse (of any kind; ps2 or usb) being connected. I will try the keyboards on another computer to see if they are okay/working. Thanks for the suggestions.

I have taken out the pci cards thinking it might have been a hard ware conflict but it did not affect the keyboard error.

I will keep trying. I will be looking for a new power supply.

---
BigWarpGuy

Date: 11 Mar, 2005 on 14:43
Fahrvenugen
Normal member
in user

8. Re:Keyboard not found or keyboard error?
Hi,

Assuming the keyboards are okay and with all the suggestions you've tried, it is sounding more and more like a bad motherboard issue. Just my $0.02...

Date: 11 Mar, 2005 on 16:04
ChrisR
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://members.home.nl/cwroossien/
since: 04 Feb, 2004
9. Re:Keyboard not found or keyboard error?
Does your MB have a jumper like keyboard wake up or keyboard startup or something??
Then disable this one..
I had the same problems with some MB - keyboard combinations with this jumper on..
Date: 12 Mar, 2005 on 12:48
RadarCat
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2warplinks.com
since: 29 Jan, 2005
10. Re:Keyboard not found or keyboard error?

BigWarpGuy (10 Mar, 2005 15:16):
I have a nic with Realtek chipset pci card. The board has onboard sound, usb and a nic card.
. . . . . .

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi, Big Warp Guy,

This is not clear to me. What I understand this to mean is that you have a NIC built into
your motherboard as well as a Realtek NIC card installed on your motherboard? Two NICS or one. Just curious . . .

---
RadarCat, Webmaster
http://www.os2warplinks.com

Date: 14 Mar, 2005 on 10:17
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

11. Re:Keyboard not found or keyboard error?
I am beginning to think it is a bad main board; after all that I have tried so far. I have a new power supply on its way to me.

There is a jumper(s) for wake on lan and wake on keyboard (IIRC on the second one). I will try to disable them to see if this is the problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have both a NIC PCI card (with Realtek chipset) and there is a network port (with/near the two built in USB ports) that is built into the main board.

I will also check the hard drive settings/jumpers to see if changing them makes a difference (it is either set for 'cable select' or 'master').

Thanks for the help. It is appreciated.

---
BigWarpGuy

Date: 14 Mar, 2005 on 14:09
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

12. Re:Keyboard not found or keyboard error?
I bought a power supply. It is 300 wat. I installed it. It worked; softof. It would see the keyboard (both the ps2 and usb). I was able to get into the bios. It would boot from the hard drive but only got as far as the eCS in the upper left corner and the it would reboot. I tried booting from the eCS cd but it did the same thing; kept rebooting (even thought I changed the settings for the eCS boot). Now it is back to 'keyboard error...'. There is a clicking sound from the pc when the computer stopped seeing the keyboard. I have another main board on order to try it with. It too is from Tiger Direct.

---
BigWarpGuy
Date: 17 Mar, 2005 on 18:56
RadarCat
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2warplinks.com
since: 29 Jan, 2005
13. Re:Keyboard not found or keyboard error?

BigWarpGuy (17 Mar, 2005 18:56):
There is a clicking sound from the pc when the computer stopped seeing the keyboard.

Sometime listening through a cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels will help isolate the source of a noise in a noisy environment.

---
RadarCat, Webmaster
http://www.os2warplinks.com

Date: 17 Mar, 2005 on 19:46
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

14. Re:Keyboard not found or keyboard error?
Hi, BWG

BigWarpGuy (17 Mar, 2005 18:56):
I tried booting from the eCS cd but it did the same thing; kept rebooting (even thought I changed the settings for the eCS boot). Now it is back to 'keyboard error...'.

...there surely is an issue with your hardware.
That kind of symptoms remind me a very nasty board of a customer I once had to deal with: It turned out, that there was a problem with the mainboard's "electric" components - those parts that do the power stuff for CPU and RAM. Dunno how it's called in english ("condensators"?).

Anyway: Very funny. I recently read a newsletter from a well-known german PC magazine (c't, which has a proven expertise on *real* hardware) about a large amount of faulty mainboards actually being victim to plain electrical flaws. Nothing related to chipsets or config/BIOS - nope, Sir: Just f'ing simple electricity!
Some mainboard manufacturers seem to think that paying 5 cent instead of 7 cent on a such a device will make them billionaires. Instead, the plant that builds such devices might offer a 7-cent line of products which doesn't vary a lot in quality and specs, thus suitable for purposes like PC mobo's and a 5-cent line that might be suitable for "simplier" devices. But mister how-can-I-raise-my-profit in the mobo-manufacturer's financial department just thinks that if he gets the same device for 5 cents can maintain the same level of quality. Well, anyway:

Actually some BIOSes provide the means to slightly increase or decrease the voltage used for e.g. the DRAM modules which sometimes might help - BUT: I made the experience, that when you get to THAT point, it's better to drop the board and get another one (or the RAM modules).
What brand/type of (S)DRAMs are you using? Anything special or just "standard cheap stuff"? (which works best for me as I found out - those expensive, sophisticated genuine modules mostly show less tolerance in hardware environments)

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 18 Mar, 2005 on 10:55
Radek
Premium member
in user

since: 17 Jul, 2003
15. Re:Keyboard not found or keyboard error?
Even a better thing than the tube is a medician stethoscope. It looks funny when you browse around a computer with the stethoscope in your ears but it works greatly
Date: 18 Mar, 2005 on 12:52
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

16. Re:Keyboard not found or keyboard error?

Radek (18 Mar, 2005 12:52):
Even a better thing than the tube is a medician stethoscope. It looks funny when you browse around a computer with the stethoscope in your ears but it works greatly

Yes, right!
And if know a dentist, you might ask him for one of those little mirrors they use, sometimes they've got a spare one lying around (used ones, but desinfected at least ) and they are great for identifying chipsets on cards plugged in without the need to unplug them or crawl with your head in the dust in order to see what the heck of chipset is soldered on a specific card.
And dentists have other cute tools which are great for electronics (PC) work because they are designed to be useable in narrow environments...

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 18 Mar, 2005 on 13:42
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

17. Ultra DDR Memory
The memory is Ultra DDR memory. It is made by the Ultra Computer Products, Inc.. They have 256 meg each; total of 512 meg.

I have ordered another main board. It is made by PCChips. It supports the cpu that I bought. The cpu being an AMD XP 2900+ 400FSB Barton Core. I will try it in the new board using the above memory.

The help and information is appreciated. Thanks.

---
BigWarpGuy

Date: 18 Mar, 2005 on 14:01
Fahrvenugen
Normal member
in user

18. Re:Keyboard not found or keyboard error?
Yup, definitely let us know how it works out when you get your new mainboard.
Date: 18 Mar, 2005 on 17:44
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

19. Re:Keyboard not found or keyboard error?
I installed and have tried it. There was no keyboard error (it stopped seeing the keyboard at one time but that was due to the keyboard connection being loose). I was able to setup the bios to see the drives (hard drive, cdrw and dvdr). I am using the onboard audio and video.

I had to reformat the c: drive so I could re-install eCS 1.1. It stops booting after the SDD loads. I do a CTL-ALT-DEL and it shows a trap message. The first line of it shows that there is a problem in the UART. Should I be using the AGP video card instead of the onboard video? (I will give it a try).

I was able to ALT-F1 and get to the desktop or command line using two of the options. There was no cd access in one option when I tried the selective install.

---
BigWarpGuy

Date: 24 Mar, 2005 on 14:06
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

20. Re:Keyboard not found or keyboard error?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1044777&sku=P459-2001
"
PCCHIPS MB-825G Socket A microATX
This motherboard has a Socket-A support for the AMD K7 processors. The Socket-A processor’s front-side bus (FSB) speed is 333/266/200 MHz.

The PC Chips MB-825G integrates VIA KM266Pro Northbridge and VT8235 Southbridge chipsets that support one 4X AGP slot for highly graphics display, two 184-pin DIMM sockets for DDR333/266 memory bus, and Ultra DMA ATA133/100/66/33 function to provide outstanding high system performance under all types of system operations. It has the built-in AC’97 Codec, a CNR (Communications and Networking Riser) slot and a built-in 10BaseT/100BaseTX Network Interface. It is compliant with AGP v2.0, up to 1 GB/sec data transfer rate capability, and pseudo-synchronous AGP and CPU interface to maximize system performance. Featuring 128-bit 3D/2D graphics engine, it utilizes a highly pipelined architecture that provides high performance along with superior image quality.

There is a full set of I/O ports including PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports, one serial port, one onboard VGA port, one parallel port, one LAN port (optional), four back-panel USB2.0 ports and onboard USB header USB3 providing two extra ports by connecting the extended USB module to the motherboard.

This motherboard has all the features you need to develop a powerful multimedia workstation that is network ready. The board is Micro ATX size and has power connectors for an ATX power supply.
"
The description of the board.

---
BigWarpGuy

Date: 24 Mar, 2005 on 15:43
Keyboard not found or keyboard error?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 2 | Next >
Go to: