Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Simple Warp Updating Question
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
dechah
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 19 Jul, 2002
1. Simple Warp Updating Question
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hello

I have a copy of Warp 4 which was given away free on the cover of Australian Personal Computer a few years ago. From memory it is version 4.0 I would like to know if I can freely update this version to the latest 4.52 using fixpacks, or is 4.52 a completely different animal to 4.0, and requires different install media?

Regards

Stephen

Date: 04 Jan, 2006 on 00:02
melf
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 11 Apr, 2003
2. Re:Simple Warp Updating Question
As far as I know fixpack 15 was the latest free one. I don' know exactly which versionnumber that lifts you to. The 4.5 has its roots in (or is?) OS/2 Web Server and had its client equivalent in Merlin Convienience Pak (I think one could say.I'm not shure I'm entirely right here) Well I shouldn't waste my energy in trying to upgrade the 4.0 version more than to fp15. Buy an upgrade version of eCS instead and you'll be spared a great deal of installationproblems.
Date: 04 Jan, 2006 on 01:06
dechah
Normal member
in user

3. Re:Simple Warp Updating Question
Thanks for the information, much appreciated
Date: 04 Jan, 2006 on 13:04
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
4. Re:Simple Warp Updating Question
last updated at 04 Jan, 2006 17:39 (1 times)
Yes, Fixpak 15 is the latest "free" Warp 4 update. It brings OS/2 up to the Version 4.50 level. You'll also want to install the Device Driver fixpak, the latest one being 2.

Since the original Warp 4 required boot disks to install, you'll probably need to create some boot disks and update them. There are a number of posts on this forum on how to update boot disks - just do a search and you'll find some info on that.

The device driver fixpak is at:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/rsu/xr_d002/

And Fixpak 15 (the US english version)

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/rsu/xr_m015

I'm not sure what language version was on that CD that you got with the magazine, the device driver FP will work with any language version of OS/2, but for Fixpak 15 you may need one of the other languages.

True, things will likely work better for you if you get eCS, however I have to admit that I still have plain old Warp 4 with FP15 installed on 2 machines (and Warp 3 on one). And eCS 1.2 is on another.

The big things you get with eCS are an easier install (with bootable CD - although you can "create" a bootable install version of Warp 4 using UpdCD), newer device drivers, device drivers not included in the old Warp 4 package (such as USB), LVM instead of FDISK for partitioning, the addition of JFS, and a bunch of additional applications which make the user interface look nicer and offer more customization. Also eCS is based on the Merlin Convience Pack 2 (MCP) OS code base (Version 4.52) which is the same code base (but updated with fixes) as the 1998 (or was it 99?) Warp Server for e-Business, so it is the most up to date base OS (actually, in all honesty, there is a Fixpak 5 for MCP which IBM came out with that updates it to a "newer" level, however I've run into quite a few difficulties with this, so I backed out of that fixpak on my eCS machine). Plus additional stuff I'm probably not recalling.

True, it is easier to get an eCS install up and running on modern equipment. However it isn't impossible to get the old '96 release of Warp 4 running too, it just takes a little more time and effort.

Date: 04 Jan, 2006 on 17:34
dechah
Normal member
in user

5. Re:Simple Warp Updating Question
Thanks mate, very much appreciated. I will go on a hunt around this forum to see how to make my own boot/installation CD.
Date: 06 Jan, 2006 on 08:35
Simple Warp Updating Question
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: