Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Any special settings for Warp server with 2GB memory
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Sam
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 05 Feb, 2004
1. Any special settings for Warp server with 2GB memory
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I tried to install Warp server 4.0 in an server with single CPU and 2 GB memory. While this is a supported configuration from hardware point of view, is there any special settings I need to adjust at OS/2 side (ie config.sys , network settings ...)

Thanks in advance.

Date: 01 Feb, 2006 on 11:23
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 10 Aug, 2004
2. Re:Any special settings for Warp server with 2GB memory
Hi,

If I recall, Warp Server 4 is based on the older Warp 3 code. So a few things you may want to look at.

First, (assuming it is based on the Warp 3 code - run syslevel or type ver /r and it should tell you), you will probably want to update to the latest fixpak for Warp Server - currently Fixpak 43:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/rsu/xr_w043

There's also the Device Driver Fixpak 2 at:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/fixes/ddpak/xr_d002

Also, install the latest fixpaks for TCP/IP, MPTS, the lan server stuff, etc. Also, if your hard disk is an IDE, then you'll probably see better performance with the DANIS506.ADD driver then you'll get from IBM's driver.

As for MPTS, I can't recall if Version 8621 (with the 32 bit TCP/IP stack) is licensed for use on Warp Server 4 or not. It should run okay (I know a number of people who have run it on the Warp 3 code base without problem), but I just am not clear on the licensing. I *think* the license allows for it to be installed on Warp Server 4, but best to check the info for yourself. Anyways, if you chose to check it out, you'll need to first run the main install and then the update.

Main install:
ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/mpts/fixes/english-us/wr08610_conv/
Update:
ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/mpts/fixes/english-us/wr08621/

Some of the Warp 3 kernels had trouble seeing memory above 64 Megs, you may want to check and make sure that the system is seeing all your memory. Grab one of the utilities off hobbes to check this:

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-browse?sh=1&dir=/pub/os2/util/memory

And if your system only sees 64 megs, install the loader patch tool which will allow most systems to see all the memory available:

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/patches/patchldr.zip

As for config.sys - it all depends on what you're using the machine for. If you're going to use it as a server, you'll probably want to put the following in your config.sys:

PRIORITY=ABSOLUTE
TIMESLICE=32,32
MAXWAIT=1

Essentially, the Priority=absolute statement sets up OS/2 to not give a priority boost to whatever the "active" program is on the screen. For a server setting, this is ideal because it essentially means that stuff will be served out on a smoother basis - without the user interface getting a priority boost. However if you're using the machine as a desktop machine, you'll want it to read:

PRIORITY=DYNAMIC

This will allow the system to give the user interface and applications which are "active" a bit of a priority boost - allowing for a smooth response of the GUI and apps you're using, at a slight expense to stuff running in the background.

Timeslice and Maxwait - I've found that on pretty much any Pentium based computer (anything above a 486) these settings work well and give maximum performance. On older systems (486, 386, etc), you could play around with these to get a smoother responding system. Consult the online help system for more info on these settings.

Also, if you have Warp Server Advanced, you'll want to use HPFS386 for maximum performance, and increase the cache to soemthing fairly big. Although one comment - some users have reported they experience slower disk performance when they set the cache to larger then 64 Megs, even on systems with over 1 gig. And its been found that reducing the cache to 64 Megs (or less) offers a better performance then going above 64. I can't comment further on this.

If you don't have the "advanced" version, then the best you can do with HPFS is up the cache (the /CACHE switch in the IFS line) to the 2 MB limit. Some users have also found that playing around with the /CRCREL: and other options can improve response time.

Also, with 2 gigs you'll still want a swap file, but you probably won't need to start out with an initially big file. When you get the system up and running, I'd suggest starting off with a small swap file, and keep an eye on it to see if it grows. Consult the SWAPPATH= setting (its documented in the Help stuff) for this. One machine that I use as a server on plain old Warp 4 (with FP15) that I only have 512 MB in has an initial swap setting of 20 MB, and the file has yet to grow.

Or, if you have a machine with JFS and LVM, I believe it can be installed and made to work on Warp Server 4, although I have never tried this. If you chose to try this, do so with caution.

Hope this helps!

Date: 01 Feb, 2006 on 20:32
mobybrick
Normal member
in user

since: 23 Jul, 2004
3. Re:Any special settings for Warp server with 2GB memory
Hi,

If you have HPFS386 then:-

HPFS386 does not, in my experience, suffer any performance degredation with large cache sizes and does not suffer the cache commit issue that JFS does

I used to regularly run HPFS386 with 256Mb of cache for Ultimotion streaming...

However, HPFS386 is limited to around 500Mb of cache memory and I would certainly recommend no more than 300Mb for stability reasons.

If you have 2Gb of RAM and an older build of HPFS386 such as WS 4.0 GA, then HPFS385 will by default try and use 90% of system RAM if have more than 64Mb of RAM installed. With IP8227 or later installed, this changes to 60% of system RAM.

As you can see, at 90% and even 60% HPFS386 will give itself a problem by trying to go too big, so you need to set the cachesize= and maxheap= options in the HPFS386.INI file in the IBM386FS directory.

Hope this helps...

Moby.

Date: 02 Feb, 2006 on 00:54
Sam
Premium member
in user

since: 05 Feb, 2004
4. Re:Any special settings for Warp server with 2GB memory
Fahrvenugen, Mobybrick,

Thank first for the information. I need sometime to digest them.

Bascially, I just want to increase existing memory from 512 MB to 2GB. It is an Warp server 4 system with HPFS386.

Date: 02 Feb, 2006 on 07:17
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
5. Re:Any special settings for Warp server with 2GB memory
last updated at 02 Feb, 2006 09:47 (1 times)
Moby,

Thanks for the clarification on the HPFS386 Cache. I knew there was a 64 MB cache issue with JFS, and I seem to recall reading some users experiencing similar troubles with HPFS386, but I am probably not remembering this correctly.

I had not heard about potential stability issues with large caches on HPFS386, this is good to know.

Sam,

You should be fine with increasing memory. If your system is running without any fixpaks, I still recommend checking out the fixpaks. There were a number of updates which helped with performance (even though they were classified by IBM as "bug fixes") put into the fixpaks. You might see a performance gain just by installing the latest FP!

Otherwise the config.sys settings mentioned above can help - again set them depending on what you intend to use the system for. One setting that I forgot to mention is:

PRIORITY_DISK_IO=NO
Set it to no if you are using this as a "server", and it will give apps equal priority to access the hard disk, making things more responsive on the network. Or...

PRIORITY_DISK_IO=YES
Set it to yes if you're using this as a workstation machine - that way applications in the foreground that you're using will get a priority boost on the disk access - giving a more responsive system to the user.

Ooh the fun of editing the config.sys file! (But no matter what you say about it, I will take a config.sys file any day over a windoze registry...)

Date: 02 Feb, 2006 on 09:39
Any special settings for Warp server with 2GB memory
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: