Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Quick Question regarding Warp 4...
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Nick
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 18 Mar, 2006
1. Quick Question regarding Warp 4...
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I own 2 computers, one with a CD Drive, and a laptop without. I know I can install Warp 4 Using floppies, and I know the correct batch file to use. I just don't know how many Floppies I need! I don't want to find out I need 50 when I only bought 25, or whatever. Can anyone tell me how many it uses?
Date: 18 Mar, 2006 on 04:13
Stuart
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 16 Jul, 2003
2. Re:Quick Question regarding Warp 4...
If you have the possibility of a network connection between the computers, using supported hardware, you can install Warp on the laptop using the CD drive on the other machine, using just 3 floppies. Let us know if you are in that position, and I can let you know how. Otherwise you will need up to 100 diskettes, depending on what you want to install

Stuart

Date: 18 Mar, 2006 on 11:31
Nick
Normal member
in user

3. Re:Quick Question regarding Warp 4...

Stuart (18 Mar, 2006 11:31):
If you have the possibility of a network connection between the computers, using supported hardware, you can install Warp on the laptop using the CD drive on the other machine, using just 3 floppies. Let us know if you are in that position, and I can let you know how. Otherwise you will need up to 100 diskettes, depending on what you want to install

Stuart

Well, the laptop only has a 28k(i think) modem, and all of the older "legacy" ports. I would like to install like the base system with an office suite of sorts (think OpenOffice) That leads me to my other question, is there a FREE office suite available for warp? Thank you!

Date: 18 Mar, 2006 on 20:47
Stuart
Premium member
in user

4. Re:Quick Question regarding Warp 4...
Can you get hold of a PCMCIA network card? A 3Com etherlink would be well supported. Otherwise, as I say, be prepared for many floppies! Actually, several PCMCIA CD-ROMs are supported.

As regards Office suites, I think the only one is IBM works (included with Warp 4), but that one is pretty good for the basics.

Stuart

Date: 18 Mar, 2006 on 20:57
Stuart
Premium member
in user

5. Re:Quick Question regarding Warp 4...
Out of interest, what laptop is it?
Date: 18 Mar, 2006 on 20:58
Nick
Normal member
in user

6. Re:Quick Question regarding Warp 4...

Stuart (18 Mar, 2006 20:5:

It's a Compaq Presario 1220 ( i think it is a foreign model, because there is no info anywhere online) it runs Win 95 (ecch) It has a CD Drive, but it is broken.

[b]Can you get hold of a PCMCIA network card? A 3Com etherlink would be well supported. Otherwise, as I say, be prepared for many floppies! Actually, several PCMCIA CD-ROMs are supported.
As regards Office suites, I think the only one is IBM works (included with Warp 4), but that one is pretty good for the basics

Stuart

My local electronics stores do not sell the cards off the bat, they need to order them, and that could take a while.

Date: 18 Mar, 2006 on 21:24
Nick
Normal member
in user

7. Re:Quick Question regarding Warp 4...
oops, didn't mean for that smoker guy to appear
Date: 18 Mar, 2006 on 21:26
Nick
Normal member
in user

8. Re:Quick Question regarding Warp 4...
last updated at 18 Mar, 2006 21:42 (2 times)
[update] I found 49 floppies in my garage. Is this enough for any install?

[update for the update] I did a bit of digging, and found my specs for the 1220:

Cyrix GX Processor
32 MB Ram
Internal Cd reader (broken)
Internal Floppy Drive
Paralell, VGA, Serial, PCMCIA, Modem, but unfortunately, no USB or Ethernet (LAN)

Date: 18 Mar, 2006 on 21:32
Stuart
Premium member
in user

9. Re:Quick Question regarding Warp 4...
49 floppies could be enough. If you have Warp installed on the other machine, insert the CD and run PRODDSKS.CMD This will create the required number of disks for each stage. You can reuse the same disks later for installing WIN-OS2, VoiceType (if required) etc. Don't worry if the diskettes are old - in my experience older floppies are better made than new ones. I have found new floppies that can't be written to twice without failing, whereas I have 15 or 20 year old floppies which work again and again.

Stuart

Date: 18 Mar, 2006 on 23:44
Nick
Normal member
in user

10. Re:Quick Question regarding Warp 4...

Stuart (18 Mar, 2006 23:44):
49 floppies could be enough. If you have Warp installed on the other machine, insert the CD and run PRODDSKS.CMD This will create the required number of disks for each stage. You can reuse the same disks later for installing WIN-OS2, VoiceType (if required) etc. Don't worry if the diskettes are old - in my experience older floppies are better made than new ones. I have found new floppies that can't be written to twice without failing, whereas I have 15 or 20 year old floppies which work again and again.

Stuart

Unfortunately, nothing else I have runs Warp right now. My desktop runs XP, and i'm installing Warp on the laptop as an experiment to see if I like it. I know what you mean about the floppy thing, it seems everything is like that nowadays. For instance, I have a cd-rw from 2001, and it still works, even though it is severely scratched, and I bought a new one last month. I dropped it, and it stopped working. I'm staying at a relatives tonight, but tomorrow I will be back home again to make/install the disks.

Date: 19 Mar, 2006 on 09:10
Stuart
Premium member
in user

11. Re:Quick Question regarding Warp 4...
Here's another thought - how about a 3.5" to 2.5" IDE adapter? Plug the laptop HD into the desktop in place of the main HD and install there. You would only need to make the three install diskettes - just make sure you select PCMCIA and power support during advanced install

Stuart

Date: 19 Mar, 2006 on 09:50
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
12. Re:Quick Question regarding Warp 4...
Yup, based on what you've said, the best option is to either make floppies or plug the HD into a desktop to get through the install. Unfortunately the floppy install can be a long and painful process... I never liked playing "toaster" to install software.

There is a .BAT file on the CD Rom which will create the install disks. Look in the root directory of the CD for a .BAT file and run that from a command prompt. IBM was smart to think that some people would need to create disks in DOS or Windows

Date: 19 Mar, 2006 on 16:55
Nick
Normal member
in user

13. Re:Quick Question regarding Warp 4...

Fahrvenugen (19 Mar, 2006 16:55):
Yup, based on what you've said, the best option is to either make floppies or plug the HD into a desktop to get through the install. Unfortunately the floppy install can be a long and painful process... I never liked playing "toaster" to install software.

There is a .BAT file on the CD Rom which will create the install disks. Look in the root directory of the CD for a .BAT file and run that from a command prompt. IBM was smart to think that some people would need to create disks in DOS or Windows

That sounds like the easiest way to go. Thanks guys!

Date: 19 Mar, 2006 on 19:46
phaelonimaire
Normal member
in user

since: 03 Feb, 2004
14. Re:Quick Question regarding Warp 4...
If I remember correctly, LOADDSKF will not work in XP. ..No direct floppy access for DOS apps, I think. I could be wrong, but I remember having trouble with these combatants.
Date: 20 Mar, 2006 on 15:59
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
15. Re:Quick Question regarding Warp 4...

Nick (18 Mar, 2006 21:24):

Stuart (18 Mar, 2006 20:5:

It's a Compaq Presario 1220 ( i think it is a foreign model, because there is no info anywhere online) it runs Win 95 (ecch) It has a CD Drive, but it is broken.

[b]Can you get hold of a PCMCIA network card? A 3Com etherlink would be well supported. Otherwise, as I say, be prepared for many floppies! Actually, several PCMCIA CD-ROMs are supported.
As regards Office suites, I think the only one is IBM works (included with Warp 4), but that one is pretty good for the basics

Stuart

My local electronics stores do not sell the cards off the bat, they need to order them, and that could take a while.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=Compaq+Presario+1220+cd&category0=
a cd drives for your laptop?
http://cgi.ebay.com/COMPAQ-PRESARIO-1220-SERIES-CD-ROM203736-001_W0QQitemZ6815187727QQcategoryZ42186QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.3klix.com/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=830
type A
http://www.3klix.com/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=4256
type B
http://www.3klix.com

Have you tried replacing the cd drive? One on eBay and the model is listed at 3Klix.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=compaq+presario+1220+cd+drive&btnG=Search+Froogle
results using Froogle and 'compaq presariou 1220 cd drive'.

---
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2-eCS.org
Director of Communications
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
supporting the past OS/2 user and the future eCS user
http://www.os2ecs.org

Date: 20 Mar, 2006 on 16:33
Farq
Normal member
in user

since: 28 Dec, 2005
16. Re:Quick Question regarding Warp 4...

phaelonimaire (20 Mar, 2006 15:59):
If I remember correctly, LOADDSKF will not work in XP. ..No direct floppy access for DOS apps, I think. I could be wrong, but I remember having trouble with these combatants.

I wouldn't reccomend using LOADSSKF anyways. I had a bad time writing data to perfectly good disks(tested with large RAR the "error copying data". Transferred and extracted perfectly fine.). I say you should use either WinImage or the image writing utility included in M.E.S.S. if you use XP...
Date: 21 Mar, 2006 on 23:03
jorejarena
Normal member
in user

since: 18 Oct, 2003
17. Re:Quick Question regarding Warp 4...
IMHO it is better to buy a refurbished cdrom drive to replace the broken one ... this kind of notebooks often lead to partition (geometry) problems when you partition the hdd on other machine ... another recomendations is to build an updated warp4 install cd in the other computer using updcd ...
Date: 22 Mar, 2006 on 17:06
Nick
Normal member
in user

18. Re:Quick Question regarding Warp 4...
[/quote]
I wouldn't reccomend using LOADSSKF anyways. I had a bad time writing data to perfectly good disks(tested with large RAR the "error copying data". Transferred and extracted perfectly fine.). I say you should use either WinImage or the image writing utility included in M.E.S.S. if you use XP...[/quote]

Which images do I use in Winimage?

Date: 27 Mar, 2006 on 00:46
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
19. Re:Quick Question regarding Warp 4...
I don't know if Winimage will work to create a complete floppy install - does it handle the XDF format? When you're creating Warp 4 floppies, the first 2 disks are created using loaddskf.exe (they're standard disk images) but after that Disk 3 through 39 use the XDF format, and get created with XDFCOPY.EXE when you run the .bat file to create the disks. (I have no clue if XDFCOPY will run under Win2000/XP).

Farq, this may have been part of the reason that you were having trouble. If you tried to create the disk images using loaddskf on the XDF images, it'll fail every time. Also, XDF uses every possible little space on the disk which can be used for data (it manages to cram around 1.9 MB on a floppy). As a result, a good rule of thumb is you do have to have top quality disks for them to be created properly. I can recall one time doing a floppy install about 10 or 12 years ago and I found that the cheaper brand of disks had errors outside of the normal area of use. Sure, if they were formatted for the 1.44 MB standard, they worked fine (as the problems were outside the areas used for 1.44 MB). But the same disk wouldn't work for the XDF format. I ended up going out and buying a set of decent quality, brand-name disks, and was able to create the full install set. The main reason I remember the incident is that was the last time that I ever installed using floppy - since then I've always either done CD or network installs.

The actual images are stored on the CD in:

\diskimgs\os2\35\

Anyways, good luck Nick. Hopefully you'll get it up and running!

Date: 27 Mar, 2006 on 06:05
Nick
Normal member
in user

20. Re:Quick Question regarding Warp 4...

Fahrvenugen (27 Mar, 2006 06:05):
I don't know if Winimage will work to create a complete floppy install - does it handle the XDF format? When you're creating Warp 4 floppies, the first 2 disks are created using loaddskf.exe (they're standard disk images) but after that Disk 3 through 39 use the XDF format, and get created with XDFCOPY.EXE when you run the .bat file to create the disks. (I have no clue if XDFCOPY will run under Win2000/XP).

Farq, this may have been part of the reason that you were having trouble. If you tried to create the disk images using loaddskf on the XDF images, it'll fail every time. Also, XDF uses every possible little space on the disk which can be used for data (it manages to cram around 1.9 MB on a floppy). As a result, a good rule of thumb is you do have to have top quality disks for them to be created properly. I can recall one time doing a floppy install about 10 or 12 years ago and I found that the cheaper brand of disks had errors outside of the normal area of use. Sure, if they were formatted for the 1.44 MB standard, they worked fine (as the problems were outside the areas used for 1.44 MB). But the same disk wouldn't work for the XDF format. I ended up going out and buying a set of decent quality, brand-name disks, and was able to create the full install set. The main reason I remember the incident is that was the last time that I ever installed using floppy - since then I've always either done CD or network installs.

The actual images are stored on the CD in:

\diskimgs\os2\35\

Anyways, good luck Nick. Hopefully you'll get it up and running!

Yeah, I knew where the images were, I just wonder which images do I use to do a CD install? Since I have XP on my PC with a working CD drive, I can't use the built in programs on the CD. Which images do I use to do a CD install? I want to know, because I bought a new drive off of ebay, and am just waiting for it to arrive.

Date: 28 Mar, 2006 on 01:36
Quick Question regarding Warp 4...
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 2 | Next >
Go to: