Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Kicker Diskettes
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Nick
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 18 Mar, 2006
1. Kicker Diskettes
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I am very happy with my Warp 4 installation, and now my friend wants to try it too. His computer has no floppy drive, or a bay for one. Is there a way to make the kicker floppies on a CD? I apologize if this has been asked before.
Date: 30 Mar, 2006 on 00:01
Farq
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 28 Dec, 2005
2. Re:Kicker Diskettes
Does his BIOS support USB Device Booting? If so, you could buy a $15 USB floppy drive and install OS/2 from there.

You couldn't create the boot floppies on a CD. If you burn them on a single CD it won't work because of the setup's design and if you burned them to 3 CDs it'd probably not work due to the fact that the setup is using a floppy driver. I suppose if you took the CD drivers and overwritten the floppy driver in the image file you could possibly use the OS/2 boot floppies as Boot CDs. Just open them up with WinImage and replace the CD Driver with a Floppy one. I have no guaruntee this will work, and you may waste your CDs.

If it doesn't support booting from USB, I suppose you could try to flash another BIOS that supports USB boots, but you run a risk of incompatible hardware.

Maybe an eComStation Demo CD will give him a good taste of OS/2 and maybe then he can purchase eCS himself where he may boot from a CD. This of course, is the last resort...

Date: 30 Mar, 2006 on 03:59
Nick
Normal member
in user

3. Re:Kicker Diskettes

Farq (30 Mar, 2006 03:59):
Does his BIOS support USB Device Booting? If so, you could buy a $15 USB floppy drive and install OS/2 from there.

You couldn't create the boot floppies on a CD. If you burn them on a single CD it won't work because of the setup's design and if you burned them to 3 CDs it'd probably not work due to the fact that the setup is using a floppy driver. I suppose if you took the CD drivers and overwritten the floppy driver in the image file you could possibly use the OS/2 boot floppies as Boot CDs. Just open them up with WinImage and replace the CD Driver with a Floppy one. I have no guaruntee this will work, and you may waste your CDs.

If it doesn't support booting from USB, I suppose you could try to flash another BIOS that supports USB boots, but you run a risk of incompatible hardware.

Maybe an eComStation Demo CD will give him a good taste of OS/2 and maybe then he can purchase eCS himself where he may boot from a CD. This of course, is the last resort...

Thanks for your help! His computer doesn't even have a USB port, though it can boot from cd. I'll tell him how to overwrite the drivers. Thank you!

Date: 30 Mar, 2006 on 04:39
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
4. Re:Kicker Diskettes
last updated at 30 Mar, 2006 05:35 (2 times)
First, a disclaimer so that no one thinks that I'm suggesting anything illegal here. I think it is worthwhile to point out that IBM's licensing allows for one copy of OS/2 to be running per license. There are no checks in the software for this - it is up to you to abide by IBM's license. But I'm just pointing this out for your sake - if you were to install OS/2 on your friend's computer and it were running on his computer and your computer at the same time, both under the same license - then that could be considered a violation of the license.

(okay, disclaimer is now over)...

Actually, it is possible to create an installation Boot CD under OS/2, I've done this many times. And yes, even with the 3 boot disks.

There are several ways to do this, but the easiest way is to use UpdCD, it is available at:

http://xenia.sote.hu/~kadzsol/rexx/sajat/updcd.htm

Updcd has the ability to take your original Warp 4 CD, merge it with Fixpaks, and then create a brand-new bootable OS/2 Warp installation CD - which installs at the latest Fixpak level (or whatever fixpak level you used) so you don't have to mess with installing fixes later. Its quite nice.

*but* - in order to create such an installation, you'll need to have OS/2 running on a machine with a CD drive. If you want to burn your CD on that machine, obviously you'll need a CD burner on that machine properly set up. On the other hand, if you just want to create an ISO image that you can then burn to a CD using any burning application on any system - Updcd will do that too. But for that you'll have to be able to transfer the ISO to the machine / operating system which has your CD burner.

Another web page looking at creating boot CD's under Warp 4 is at:

http://www.goldencode.com/atlos2/notes/bootcd/bootcd.html

The directions on that page show how to go about the process manually, which does work - although using an application such as Updcd is easier.

If you want to burn the CD under Warp, the easiest is probably to install CDRecord/2 and then just have UpdCD do the burn for you. You can find more information about CDRecord/2 and CD Writing under Warp in general at:

http://www.os2world.com/cdwriting/

As for the suggestion of a USB floppy drive, this is actually probably more difficult to do under Warp 4, because Warp 4 didn't include base USB drivers when it shipped back in 1996. So to get it to work you'd probably have to create custom boot floppies containing the base USB drivers, plus the USB floppy driver. That's not to say that you can't make it work. But I've never had any problems creating Boot CD's for Warp (at least not since the process became documented), so I've never looked into installing off a USB floppy.

Hope this helps.

Date: 30 Mar, 2006 on 05:27
Nick
Normal member
in user

5. Re:Kicker Diskettes
Thank you for your response. My computer with warp does not have a burner though, so I might put it in there just for this.
Date: 30 Mar, 2006 on 22:26
Kicker Diskettes
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: