Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
A FATs a FAT? OS2 w4 ghost problem...
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
section7
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 08 Apr, 2006
1. A FATs a FAT? OS2 w4 ghost problem...
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hello. Having some problems with OS2 warp 4 because of what it does to my drive.

I am planning on adding OS2 warp4 and hopefully one or two other versions to a multi-OS system. I started with warp 4, because I have installed it before. But, before I install any OS that I am even slightly unfamilier with, I do so on a test drive to find out what it does.
With my first attempt, I created a 400mb Fat16 primary partition using Partition Magic. I am using the updated OS2 install disks even though my test drive is ony a 3100mb drive. I opted NOT to have the OS2 installer format the drive since it was already a FAT16. It seemed to like the partition and the install went as planned. ...up until the first reboot. Boot gets as far as "Verifying DMI Pool Data ...Update Success" and then hangs with "OS/2 !! SYS02025" and "OS/2 !! SYS02027".
I ran pqmagic (partition magic DOS flavor) to see what it thought of the partition... no problem.. still a FAT16 with no errors.
Searching for answers I discovered a patch that fixed this problem. The patch is meant for fixing this error after a partition with os2 is resized or moved. Patchos2: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads/patchos2.zip. Before I tried this patch, I ran Ghost2k3 to do a quick backup, just in the case that the problem is fixable, but this patch ends up messing things up further. Ghost comes up with ERROR 15121. Cannot ghost the partition. Fine. I applied the patch and to my surprise, OS2 now boots up and I was able to continue the install. Great... but not so great... because after the install finished I tried ghost2k3 again and the same error comes up. Even though OS2 runs fine, this is totally unexceptable because I am not planning on running os2 alone on its own drive. I use ghost not only to backup installs, but as an install tool. With ghost I am able to move OSs such as DRDOS, PTDOS, win9x, etc.. to run from logical partitions. I use XOSL for booting and dealing with hidding and tools such as ptedit and ptsdiskedit to make things work.
So... I wiped the drive and this time I created and formated the partitions from the OS2 install.(primary for install and a couple logicals to use up the extra space) This time when it rebooted, I did not get the "OS/2 !! SYS02025" and "OS/2 !! SYS02027" error. Good... install completed w/out a hitch. Ran partition magic... install partition still a fat16 with no errors. Ran ghost2k3 and AGAIN, arror 15121! This is absolutely ridiculous!

Is it altering the drive table? Some OSs such as BSD and Solaris do so... changing the partition table of the install partition from LBA to normal. Before I install either one, I create a fat and note the table info and then fix it after installing. But, in those cases, the problem is clear... for example.. if you run partition magic after the install, pm cries foul and displays a corrupt drive. That is why I am thoroughly confused here with OS2. According to partition magic, the OS2 install partition is a healthy FAT. ??

A FATs a FAT? Aint it? What the heck is OS2 doing to the drive?

Sorry, about my overly detailed post... just thinking out loud. I'm sure the answer is simple, but even if it is not, I would apprciate any help on this matter.

Date: 08 Apr, 2006 on 13:02
RobertM
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 16 Aug, 2004
2. Re:A FATs a FAT? OS2 w4 ghost problem...
Hi

(1) OS/2 uses it's own drive translation. Go into the config.sys and add /V to the end of the IBM1S506.ADD line and it will display all the info you need to know about how it looks at the drive, how the BIOS looks at it, etc - this might help.

Ghost and other utils (try DFSee instead) will generate errors due to differences in drive translation schemes.

(2) Why not format the partition HPFS? You need HPFS support for many additional functions and apps you may wish to try to install (due to needs for long file name support).

You can find/download/install HPFS drivers for most other operating systems if you wanted the partition to be readable by them (the the better thing is to have a shared data partition that they all understand, whether HPFS, NTFS or FAT). FAT is very slow, very fault prone, and eliminates the possibility of installing many updated OS/2 components and apps. HPFS doesnt fragment (maybe <5% on an active drive in 10 years with as little as 20% freespace) and it can handle long file names as well as many more files on a partition.

(3) (as mentioned above), if you want to do partition operations on an OS/2 partition (or virtually any other partition type), try DFSee - doesnt have a neat simple GUI, but does all the same things as Ghost and Partition Magic - and understands more file systems - as well as understanding drive translation differences of each operating system's drive translation methodology.

Hope this helps, if not, let me know...

-Rob

Date: 08 Apr, 2006 on 15:17
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
3. Re:A FATs a FAT? OS2 w4 ghost problem...
last updated at 08 Apr, 2006 18:10 (1 times)
A few things...

I found on the following web page the following potential solution:

http://ryxi.com/hard-drives-ide-scsi-raid/90-981-a-couple-of-os-2-disk-problems-and-their-solutions-read.shtml

--------------
Problem #2: Launched Ghost 2003 to image my OS/2 FAT partition. Got

"Error 15121: BIOSParameterBlock - Unknown FAT type" (or something very

similar).

- Solution: "Re-align" the FAT partition using Partition Magic Win32

GUI. The name of the option also says something about 4KB clusters, but

I can't recall exactly. Perhaps when I get back home I'll check it

again and post the exact names.
-----------------

I have never used OS/2 with Ghost, so I can't comment. But I've never had trouble the few times I've installed on a FAT partition.

Second, for your SSY02027 and SYS02025, another solution which often works is to boot to a command prompt using your updated boot disks (hit F3 when you get to the installation screen for the command prompt), run the FDISK /MBR command, run FDISK and make sure that your partition is set to Bootable, (or it might be called Startable), (you can also do this with DFSee) and finally from a command prompt, enter the command:

sysinstx c:

As I recall, SYSINSTX.COM is on one of those first 3 disks (I think the first one called INSTALL or something like that). Essentially this command does the same thing as the DOS command: SYS C:

You may have to restart after you change the partition to Startable but before running SYSINSTX C:

Another suggestion. If you're still using the IBM1S506.ADD driver, it might be worth your while to install the latest DANIS506 driver. It works a lot better with a lot more hardware (and often gives quicker throughput too). You can grab it from:

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-search?sh=1&button=Search&key=danis506&stype=all&sort=type&dir=/

Also, I agree with Rob, I don't recommend installing OS/2 on a FAT partition. FAT is prone to failure, gets fragmented quickly, and is V-E-R-Y S-L-O-W compared to HPFS. Also, the Long file name support of HPFS (or long file name support in JFS, but if you're on vanilla Warp 4 you won't have JFS) is a must for most current applications (Firefox, Mozilla, OpenOffice, Thunderbird, etc).

The best option that I've found (and what a lot of other users have done) is - if you need to have multiple operating systems on the same computer - install OS/2 on an HPFS partition, your other OS(es) on another partition, and create a shared Fat32 partition - and once OS/2 is up and running install the Fat32 IFS driver. Then if you have (for example) Windows 98 or whatever on one partition, and OS/2 on another, both your Windows and your OS/2 will be able to see and use the Fat32 partition(s).

Of course, you could do this with plain-old FAT16 too, or some other file system supported by OS/2 and the other OSes you're installing.

Date: 08 Apr, 2006 on 18:07
section7
Normal member
in user

4. Re:A FATs a FAT? OS2 w4 ghost problem...
Fantastic ...thanks for the info.

Chewing...

Date: 09 Apr, 2006 on 08:35
section7
Normal member
in user

5. Re:A FATs a FAT? OS2 w4 ghost problem...
Ok... I will go with HPFS, but before I do, I want(ed) to get a grasp of what I (may) have learned here and the options that are available.

I didn't know that OS2 did not support LFNs with FAT16s. Am I too assume that even after installing VFAT-OS2.IFS, OS2 will still not have FAT16 LFN support on OS2 FAT16 partitions, but will support LFNs on DOS/WIN FAT16s? Or will the VFAT update allow LFN support all the way 'round?

Fahrvenugen, I played around with partition magic, to see if I could figure out this so called "Re-align" fix is. My play screwed the install.. no big deal though because I had installed OS2 on three small "test" drives before starting all this. 1 down 2 to go.

I have a copy of DFSee v7 for windows sitting around, but never really played with it. But..I downloaded version 8 eval and tried the freeDOS floppy flavor. Interesting ...and powerful tool. I don't think I could call it a equal replacment for Partition Magic, without my nose growing long, but it does cloning and images very well. I have to play with it further and see how it deals with nix/nux, beos, etc.. partitions. Ghost can make images of some, but cannot compress them OR it can only clone sector by sector of an entire drive.(the later being worthless to me.)
Ghost is blazingly fast compared to DFSee and with DFSee costing around $50, it is hard for me to justify buying a legit copy for my bag o'tricks. "Legit" is not so important to me except when its good stuff created by the little guy! The guilt actually eases it's way in.
Anyway...I ramble. So.. I used DFSee (DOS) to create an image of the OS2 install and then restored the image to a logical partition. Setup the logical to boot in XOSL...and she booted perfectly. Very nice. DFSee was smart enough to fix the hidden sectors? I wasn't paying attention, but I guess it must have.

Ok, so now to leave the FAT16 idea behind and reinstall with HPSF.

I have some update questions, but I will start another thread.

Thanks again for the helpful info.

Date: 11 Apr, 2006 on 09:37
A FATs a FAT? OS2 w4 ghost problem...
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: