Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
W3red not installing on 8GB w/ Award v4.51 PG bios
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
mem5922
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 17 Apr, 2006
1. W3red not installing on 8GB w/ Award v4.51 PG bios
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I am attempting to revive an old legacy PC with a replacement HD but am having PROBLEMS. This machine was built by mfg'er with Warp3, Award v4.51 PG, and a 2.1GB drive. The drive has gone bad and I am trying to replace with Fujistsu MPD3084AT (8.4GB). I am running into the ole 35mb partition error. Fdisk does not allow anything but DELETE and CREATE from menus (not installable). Its been a while, but it seems to me I had done this install last year sometime by setting up a <2GB partition (using DOS 6.22 fdisk)on the drive and THEN doing the OS/2 install BUT I just tried that and it didn't work. Warp still doesn't see partition correctly. I have tried install with BIOS setup both ways (LBA and normal)but NO LUCK. The mfg'ers app that should run on this machine ONLY needs 2GB so why can't I setup the Fujitsu drive this way and kiss off the extra 6GBs? Can this version of Award bios be setup so drive LOOKS smaller than it is? Far as I know, my install disks are updated but maybe someone can describe to me how to do the 'DANI' update. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Date: 17 Apr, 2006 on 20:02
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 10 Aug, 2004
2. Re:W3red not installing on 8GB w/ Award v4.51 PG bios
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
For Warp 3 to boot (and Warp 4 without LVM if I recall), your boot partition needs to be within the first 1024 cylinders of the hard disk (or something like that). What this means is if you try and make your whole 8 Gig hard disk into a single partition, you're unlikely to ever get it to boot.

The answer is to create a smaller partition, and a second partition to use for data. Fortunately Warp 3 is quite small anyways - it installs in less then 100 MB.

So my suggestion is to create a primary partition of less then 2 gigs (maybe try 1 Gig, that'll be more then enough) for installing OS/2 on, and do the rest of the drive as an extended logical.

Second thing - if you're using the original boot disks, you'll need to update them. Grab:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/os2ddpak_cur/idedasd.exe

Unzip that file into a directory and you'll find the following files:

DASD16 DMD
DASD32 DMD
IBM1S506 ADD
IBM1S506 SYM
IBMATAPI FLT
IBMIDECD FLT
IDE16 DDP
IDE32 DDP
OS2CDROM DMD
README TXT

Out of these, you can delete the following files:

DASD32.DMD
IDE16.DDP
IDE32.DDP

Then rename DASD16.DMD to OS2DASD.DMD

You'll probably need to create a new Disk 1, and get more space on it. For directions on how to do that, check:

http://www7.software.ibm.com/2bcprod.nsf/186d96ebef23e6438625689c007ac1ef/6330f82fce1de4998625669b0059c153?OpenDocument

If you want to use the Danis driver, grab the latest DANIS506.ADD from:

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-search?key=danis506&pushbutton=Search

And you'll need to replace the line :

basedev=ibm1s506.add

with:

basedev=danis506.add

in your config.sys (after having copied that file to your drive)

For fdisk, you may need an updated version of FDISK.COM to get your partitioning to work. You can find a more updated copy on Fixpak 40's disk 7:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/rsu/xr_w040/xr_w0407.zip

Unzip that file, and you'll need to use the OS/2 unpack.exe command to unpack the fdisk.co_

Hope this helps

Date: 18 Apr, 2006 on 04:19
W3red not installing on 8GB w/ Award v4.51 PG bios
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: