Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
HELP! w/ OS/2 warp 4.0 install
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
bp787
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 04 May, 2006
1. HELP! w/ OS/2 warp 4.0 install
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hi. New to the forum... pretty much a noob at OS/2, so be gentle

I have 2 old system sthat I *HAVE* to have OS/2 installed on. I just completed one system. Not too bad. Basic install using the 3 floppy install disks and the CD-ROM.

The 2nd system, though, is a pain. I can't get past the floppies

I get a SYS0038 Can't find c:\ device a few times. Selecting "return code to..." gets me past that, but then I get a screen pop up talking about having a problem with the partition table being incorrect. Well, yeah. The drive is *NEW* and has been formatted/cleaned.

Here's my device info:
I have an adaptec PCI-to-SCSI adapter (AHA-2940AU) connected to a 4GB Segate SCSI drive.

The *NEW* drive is to replace an identical drive that is currently in the system and working. The system was put together by someone else. So I don't know exactly what they've done to get it to work. The sys boots with the original drive in it.

When I get to the Adaptec SCSI boot screen, It lists the device as:

Segate ST33741N - disk 0

It boots this way for both the working drive and the new drive.

What do I do? I'm stuck. I can't image the working drive onto this one. (original drives are classified military equipment). I modified the OS/2 diskette2 to include only the correct driver for the SCSI adapter, with no luck. Same problems.

How do I get it to recognize the drive?

Any help you can give would be greately appreciated. Also, I'll give you as much information as I can. I can post up the *WORKING* config.sys file if that helps. Although, i didn't see anything too strange in there. I'm thinking it's more hardware related than anything else...

Thanks!

Date: 04 May, 2006 on 23:39
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 26 Nov, 2002
2. Re:HELP! w/ OS/2 warp 4.0 install
last updated at 05 May, 2006 11:36 (2 times)
Hi, (and welcome)

okay, it seems like you're not *that* noob to OS/2 since you've managed to make the floppy contain the driver...

Well, does the driver message show up during floppy boot? if not, add /V to the line in the floppy's config.sys (which would give you something like BASEDEV=AIC7880.ADD /V ).
That should enable you at least to see if the driver was loaded correctly.

If that is the case and things don't work... well, here we go:

1) In the SCSI controllers SCSI BIOS, there might be different settings for the devices. If the NEW drive has a different SCSI ID than the OLD drive, it might simply get different settings from the SCSI controller- which in turn will lead to a different behaviour of the NEW drive.
Sounds complicated, hm...? I don't know how much you are into SCSI concepts... well, imagine that the SCSI controller was set up to support device #1 and #2 and all other devices were set up to be NOT supported (for faster bootup or whatever) and now your NEW drive comes with device id #3, it possibly won't be supported by the adapter.
Because of what you wrote, it seems however that the NEW disk is recognized... but still, different settings might apply.

So either make the NEW drive use the same id as the OLD one (you can't connect both of them at the same time then)
- or -
make the NEW drive have the same settings (in the SCSI controller BIOS) like the OLD one.

2) As always with SCSI devices, check for the termination of the bus. If the hdd is the "farest" device on the bus viewed from the controller (=the last device on the cable), it should have the termination jumper set (=active).
Cable length issues are not the problem in your case because the other drive works on the same cable and adaptec is not *that* picky about cable length as other manufacturers are.

3) Is the new drive exactly the same or is it maybe only having the same connector but with slower "speed"? Check what happens if you limit the speed to 10 in the SCSI adapters BIOS for the drive.

4) "Formatting" the drive - waht what did you do/use? Note that a format from a running operating system will not format the drive but only a partition to use a specific file system. In order to *really* "format" it, the best you can do with SCSI HDDs is to low-level format the drive by using the SCSI controllers option for that. BE AWARE THAT THIS WILL DELETE ALL DATA ON ALL PARTITIONS! THE ENTIRE DISK WILL BE DELETED!
(But after that, you can be sure the disk is really "formatted")

HTH
Thomas

Date: 05 May, 2006 on 11:12
bp787
Normal member
in user

3. Re:HELP! w/ OS/2 warp 4.0 install

warpcafe (05 May, 2006 11:36):
Hi, (and welcome)

okay, it seems like you're not *that* noob to OS/2 since you've managed to make the floppy contain the driver...

heh. Ok, I'm a NOOB at OS/2 But I can follow directions

Well, does the driver message show up during floppy boot? if not, add /V to the line in the floppy's config.sys (which would give you something like BASEDEV=AIC7880.ADD /V ).
That should enable you at least to see if the driver was loaded correctly.

Yeah. The driver message shows up. I'm not really sure the SCSI driver is the problem, though. I put together another system using the save drive, SCSI adapter card and OS/2 Warp 4.0. I didn't have a problem using the default Install disks with that setup. Since this system uses the same SCSI card, I wouldn't think it would be an issue.... (I'm probably wrong though haha)

If that is the case and things don't work... well, here we go:

1) In the SCSI controllers SCSI BIOS, there might be different settings for the devices. If the NEW drive has a different SCSI ID than the OLD drive, it might simply get different settings from the SCSI controller- which in turn will lead to a different behaviour of the NEW drive.
Sounds complicated, hm...? I don't know how much you are into SCSI concepts... well, imagine that the SCSI controller was set up to support device #1 and #2 and all other devices were set up to be NOT supported (for faster bootup or whatever) and now your NEW drive comes with device id #3, it possibly won't be supported by the adapter.
Because of what you wrote, it seems however that the NEW disk is recognized... but still, different settings might apply.

So either make the NEW drive use the same id as the OLD one (you can't connect both of them at the same time then)
- or -
make the NEW drive have the same settings (in the SCSI controller BIOS) like the OLD one.

I know just enough about SCSI to get me in trouble...

I'll check again to make sure the drives are IDENTICAL. They may have a revision difference. The SCSI chain is this: zip drive -> HD -> CDROM

Both the OLD and the NEW drives are indicated in the SCSI bios as device 0. They both seem to have identical settings in the SCSI bios and are both detected the same way:

SEGATE ST34371N - disk0

wheras, on the other system that I put together, the same drives are detected as SEAGATE ST34371N - C: (20h)

strange...

2) As always with SCSI devices, check for the termination of the bus. If the hdd is the "farest" device on the bus viewed from the controller (=the last device on the cable), it should have the termination jumper set (=active).
Cable length issues are not the problem in your case because the other drive works on the same cable and adaptec is not *that* picky about cable length as other manufacturers are.

The HD is not terminated. The BIOS is set to determine that. Also, as i stated, the HD is in the middile of the SCSI chain. So I wouldn't think it's that. I could try rearranging the SCSI devices, to see if maybe that's the issue though...

3) Is the new drive exactly the same or is it maybe only having the same connector but with slower "speed"? Check what happens if you limit the speed to 10 in the SCSI adapters BIOS for the drive.

I'll try this out. I had thought about mucking around with those settings, but I'm not too familiar with them. If the revision is different between the known working drive and the new one, that could be the problem...

4) "Formatting" the drive - waht what did you do/use? Note that a format from a running operating system will not format the drive but only a partition to use a specific file system. In order to *really* "format" it, the best you can do with SCSI HDDs is to low-level format the drive by using the SCSI controllers option for that. BE AWARE THAT THIS WILL DELETE ALL DATA ON ALL PARTITIONS! THE ENTIRE DISK WILL BE DELETED!
(But after that, you can be sure the disk is really "formatted")

HTH
Thomas

I formatted it using the SCSI Bios utility. I'm still getting partition errors when using OS/2's floppy #3. I was thinking maybe i'd try manually running fdisk on the drive.

I'm starting to think that the drive may be bad. (I bought it as *NEW*, but it appears that it was refurbished )

I'll run through the install once again. this time, I'll get some more details and post them up.

Anyway, thanks for your help

Date: 05 May, 2006 on 15:03
bp787
Normal member
in user

4. Re:HELP! w/ OS/2 warp 4.0 install
just an update:

For some strange reason... the install finally allowed me to run FDISK from a command line instead of telling me that fdisk was in use as it had previously been doing.

well, i fdisk'd it, redid the partitions, and BAM. install went smooth.

Now, I've just got to get the USB support going for a 8 port KVM keyboard/trackball setup that we use here..

thanks for the help warcafe

Date: 10 May, 2006 on 15:23
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
5. Re:HELP! w/ OS/2 warp 4.0 install
Hi,

For USB information and drivers, the best site I've found is the one at os2warp.be:

http://www.os2warp.be/index2.php?name=usbdrvs

Hope this helps.

Date: 10 May, 2006 on 17:10
bp787
Normal member
in user

6. Re:HELP! w/ OS/2 warp 4.0 install
thanks. I've installed the basic package and the specific mouse driver, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Now, I've only used fixpak 9 to update the system. Because of some of the unknowns with the software that gets put on the system, I'm leary of using something that wasn't supplied to me. So.... I'll keep working on it.

It may also have something to do with the fact that I'm using a KVM switch.

Date: 10 May, 2006 on 18:35
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

since: 26 Nov, 2002
7. Re:HELP! w/ OS/2 warp 4.0 install

bp787 (10 May, 2006 15:23):
well, i fdisk'd it, redid the partitions, and BAM. install went smooth.
[snip]
thanks for the help warcafe

Anyway - with computers, sometimes you know... you do the same thing twice and you get different reactions... congrats for the BAM and you're welcome.

Date: 10 May, 2006 on 18:36
HELP! w/ OS/2 warp 4.0 install
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: