Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Dual-Booting eCS 2.1R and WinXP
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
aasdelat
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 15 Jul, 2005
41. Re:Dual-Booting eCS 2.1R and WinXP
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Here is what I get:

code:

live@guadalinex:~$ su
Password:
root@guadalinex:/home/live# grub
Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.

GNU GRUB version 0.95 (640K lower / 3072K upper memory)

[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB
lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
completions of a device/filename. ]

grub> root (hd0,4)
Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7

grub> setup (hd0,4)

Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition

---
Antonio Serrano.
Greetings from Málaga, Spain.
Date: 19 Mar, 2007 on 09:37
El Vato
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.metztli-it.com
since: 04 Oct, 2006
42. Re:Dual-Booting eCS 2.1R and WinXP

aasdelat (17 Mar, 2007 23:42):
Here is the screen with the output:
[pre]
root@guadalinex:/home/live# fdisk -l /dev/hda

Disco /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 cabezas, 63 sectores/pista, 9729 cilindros
Unidades = cilindros de 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Disposit. Inicio Comienzo Fin Bloques Id Sistema
/dev/hda1 * 3826 3826 8032+ a OS/2 Boot Manager
/dev/hda2 1 3825 30724281 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda3 3827 9729 47415847+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda5  *  3827  7014  25607578+  7 HPFS/NTFS<=== GRUB's (0,4)
/dev/hda6 * 7015 9564 20482843+ 6 FAT16
/dev/hda7 * 9565 9597 265041 6 FAT16
/dev/hda8 * 9598 9729 1060258+ 6 FAT16

Those entries that I highlighted in red are not right. The logical partitions /dev/hda6 (purportedly your root partition) should be a file type 83 Linux NOT 6 FAT16; the same goes for your SWAP file partition: 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Consequently, either you did not install/mount/format your distro in an appropriate file system or you have messed up the partitions by now.

This snapshot is from an physical (as opposed to virtual) file system and its relationship to GRUB's /boot/grub/menu.lst configuration file in a Debian root residing at GRUB's (0,8) and Linux's /dev/hda9 --compare it to what you show very carefully since I will be making another observation correcting some further misinformation.

As explained in one of my previous posts, perhaps our friend who made the suggestion above did not understand it completely since he asked you to install GRUB at

(0,4)

That is wrong since you will potentially be overwriting your first (Extended) logical partition table (if GRUB does not have any preventive mechanisms).

Yes, GRUB starts counting at the zero(0) index BUT the first four primary partitions are implicitely included whether those exist or not.

Consequently, when it comes to logical partitions GRUB (and Linux) wil always start at partiton number 4 (and 5, respectively) even if there is only one or two primary partitions.

It does not mean that GRUB counts literally each partition from the beginning of your hard disk. GRUB's counting notion is made explicit to the human operator as printed numbers guiding the human in the fdisk output. And it means that if the first logical partition (where you have OS/2, I assume) is /dev/hda5 then that is what GRUB refers to (0,4) and Linux "sees" as /dev/hda5 --even if you do not have primary partitions.

Makes sense If it does not go ahead and view the snapshot of the actual GRUB configuration file above once again and compare the values with the adjoint fdisk output.

Reiterating, it does not matter if you have only one primary partition (or two, or even none --as a matter of fact). GRUB will always see the first logical partition as (0,4) and Linux as 5 or /dev/hda5.

Attempting to install GRUB at first logical partition (0,4) might (in your specific case) mess your OS/2.

With that issue hopefully understood by our friend also, you migh want to reinstall your Linux distro paying particular attention to the mount point, file system type, etc..

I mentioned twice before that Ubuntu live has problems installing GRUB in other than the master boot in your hard disk (attempting GRUB's (0,6) installation did not work in my past experience). I also mentioned that your distro, being a derivative work from Ubuntu, might have inherited that crap.

As I remarked to OriAl in a previous referenced post, software and hardware being creations by ephemeral creatures have many limitations. And those can not be overcome by projecting ones desires upon the latter's physical/rational boundaries.

In other words, you may have to remove your boot manager --at least temporarily-- to fulfill your task.

Best regards.

Date: 19 Mar, 2007 on 09:44
El Vato
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.metztli-it.com
since: 04 Oct, 2006
43. Re:Dual-Booting eCS 2.1R and WinXP

aasdelat (19 Mar, 2007 09:37):
[...]
grub> root (hd0,4)
Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7

And GRUB is correct and you were lucky not to have messed your OS/2 partition since 0x7 is type HPFS/NTFS.

aasdelat (19 Mar, 2007 09:37):
grub> setup (hd0,4)

Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition

[/code]

Because two conditions fail: partition type 0x7 and file system is neither Ext3, XFS, JFS, nor RaiserFS --i,e, Linux file systems for root/boot.

Date: 19 Mar, 2007 on 10:05
aasdelat
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
44. Re:Dual-Booting eCS 2.1R and WinXP
I resolved to do the following:
1º- Start with the linux bootable CD.
2º- Execute cfdisk from the linux bootable CD.
3º- With this partitioning program, I removed the bootable flag from every partition except from the BM partition.
4º- Then (using cfdisk), I changed the partition type for linux to type 83, and the partition type for linux-swap to 82.
5º- Exited cfdisk.
6º- Executed GRUB as super user. This is what happend:

code:

grub> root (hd0,5)
Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83

grub> setup (hd0,5)
Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
Checking if "/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0,5)"... failed (this is not fatal)
Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd0,5) /boot/grub/stage2 p /boot/grub/menu
.lst "... succeeded
Done.

¿And now, I will restart the computer to see what happended?.

---
Antonio Serrano.

Date: 19 Mar, 2007 on 11:27
aasdelat
Normal member
in user

45. SUCCESS!!!
SUCCESS!!!

I'm writing this message from linux booted from harddisk using BM.
It was hard, large, but funny and very interesting.
I whant to thank el vato, obiwan, warpcafe, etc, and everyone that contributed to this happy end.

I'm intrigated about the messages:

code:

And now, it's time for the EDM2 article, but I need to have time. Hope soon.

---
Antonio Serrano.

Date: 19 Mar, 2007 on 11:43
obiwan
Premium member
in user

since: 30 Aug, 2006
46. Re:Dual-Booting eCS 2.1R and WinXP
last updated at 19 Mar, 2007 18:39 (3 times)
Thanks El Vato for the clarification on GRUB's hard disk ordering. I spent some time looking for documentation on that and did not find it. This is my first encounter with putting GRUB on logical partitions, and I made a bad assumption. I really should have made sure that was right before posting. My apologies for putting out bad and potentially damaging information. I'll correct or remove the erroneous text.

One thing you might be interested in knowing is that Linux does not really care about partition types. It is perfectly acceptable to use a "fat16" type partition for swap or ext3 filesystems. GRUB didn't say it did not like the type 0x7, rather it said the HPFS filesystem could not be read. That is more likely why it failed. Actually as long as it can't find its binaries, it will fail, and it was looking for them in the wrong place, (hd0,4) instead of (hd0,5).

Also, technically, 0x7 is type IFS, not HPFS/NTFS. GRUB/Linux devs use the wrong term.

Date: 19 Mar, 2007 on 18:23
aasdelat
Normal member
in user

47. Re:Dual-Booting eCS 2.1R and WinXP
Don't worry, obiwan, everything has gone OK.

---
Antonio Serrano.
Date: 19 Mar, 2007 on 23:23
Dual-Booting eCS 2.1R and WinXP
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 2 3 | Next >
Go to: