Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Error unless I disable the Floppy OS/2 2.11
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Jamich
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 27 Nov, 2006
21. Re:Error unless I disable the Floppy OS/2 2.11
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Depending on which PC I am using determins which serial board I use if the PC have a ISA slot I only use the DIGI Board that's the XALL45C. I Recently bought the EQUINOX SST 8/port to use on PC with PCI only so I REM the aproprate driver. Which ever board I use works perfectly, I have already tried what you have suggested by REMMING both and I have also remove the board and I still have the TRAP 000D error. When ever I disable the floppy whether board is in or out REM or not I get NO ERROR and also remember PRINT SCREEN works EVERYTIME
Date: 21 Dec, 2006 on 15:17
Jamich
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
22. Re:Error unless I disable the Floppy OS/2 2.11
Remming that last line did not affect system time but printing problem remain.
Date: 21 Dec, 2006 on 15:40
cyberspittle
Premium member
in user

since: 09 Dec, 2002
23. Re:Error unless I disable the Floppy OS/2 2.11

Jamich (21 Dec, 2006 04:33):
In the earlier days we use a 386 with a IRIWN Backup tape that was driven by the floppy cable thats where the EZTAPE part comes in but we upgraded some years after to a 486 with a new 5 1/4 SCSI TAPE drive thats where the NOVA drive is near the end comes in but I REM it because my test PC does not have a tape drive. Aparently when the First upgrade from 386 to 486 about some 8 years ago was done they just modify the Original 386 Config sys. ( oh by the way the original 386 was IDE HDD,7 years later 486 is Scsi HDD and now I am back to IDE HDD so that why my config sys have a few REM's because of the to and fro )
Hope that didn't confuse you, now to your question I really dont know anything about
" DEVICE=C:\OS2\TESTCFG.SYS "
Also what and where can I find RMVIEW.

Hi Jamich,

FYI. Got this on another mail list ...

It's testcfg.sys and it does not test the system configuration. It provides facilities for ring3 apps to do port IO. Unfortunately testcfg.sys does things in such a what that it can confuse some modern hardware. Removing the driver avoids this and rarely causes loss of functionality.

Date: 22 Dec, 2006 on 04:10
Jamich
Normal member
in user

24. Re:Error unless I disable the Floppy OS/2 2.11
I REMMED "DEVICE=C:\OS2\TESTCFG.SYS" and it made no difference.
Date: 22 Dec, 2006 on 16:33
mobybrick
Normal member
in user

since: 23 Jul, 2004
25. Re:Error unless I disable the Floppy OS/2 2.11
What items are in the 'Startup' folder on the desktop?
What are the contents of C:\STARTUP.CMD?
Lastly, it would seem you are just using VGA graphics - is this so?

Regards,
Moby.

Date: 22 Dec, 2006 on 17:57
Jamich
Normal member
in user

26. Re:Error unless I disable the Floppy OS/2 2.11
My setup is more like a MS Dos type and not a windows type interface. OS/2 loads and go straight to the application which is a Garage Operation Management Program. Thats the only program that is loaded onto the entire Operating System.
Date: 23 Dec, 2006 on 00:38
dljone9
Premium member
in user

since: 13 Jan, 2003
27. Re:Error unless I disable the Floppy OS/2 2.11

Jamich (23 Dec, 2006 00:3:
My setup is more like a MS Dos type and not a windows type interface. OS/2 loads and go straight to the application which is a Garage Operation Management Program. Thats the only program that is loaded onto the entire Operating System.

I think you stand a good chance of fixing this issue, and being
pleased with the performance of newer versions of the OS. If
you cloned the drive and loaded OS/2 Warp 4 w/ FP's over it
(or even Warp 3 with some fixes)...the result could very well be
not only this issue being resolved, but better performance and
fewer issues down the road.

Date: 23 Dec, 2006 on 00:57
Jamich
Normal member
in user

28. Re:Error unless I disable the Floppy OS/2 2.11
I still believe something simply is been overlooked, but hey I am no expert at this. The system I would say is 99.99% doing what it is expected to do with only this little itch, maybe after the Holidays someone might be able to come up with more things that I can try to solve this issue.
For now I just want to say a BIG THANKS to ALL those who assisted me thus far in helping me to get fully functional and I want to WISH ALL Menbers OF the Forums all the Best for the Rest of 2006 and and peacefull and properous 2007.

Thanks A Million
Jamich

Date: 28 Dec, 2006 on 23:33
cyberspittle
Premium member
in user

since: 09 Dec, 2002
29. Re:Error unless I disable the Floppy OS/2 2.11
Hi Jamich,

Instead of moving your hard drive to each system, why not try a fresh install?

Date: 29 Dec, 2006 on 02:31
El Vato
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.metztli-it.com
since: 04 Oct, 2006
30. Re:Error unless I disable the Floppy OS/2 2.11
last updated at 29 Dec, 2006 12:22 (1 times)

Jamich (28 Dec, 2006 23:33):
I still believe something simply is been overlooked, but hey I am no expert at this. The system I would say is 99.99% doing what it is expected to do with only this little itch, maybe after the Holidays someone might be able to come up with more things that I can try to solve this issue.[...]

Noticing how long this post has been going for something apparently so simple, I decided to contribute a little.

Here is a snapshot of the Config.sys of my then barely installed OS/2 2.11. It dates from a few years ago; I installed it into a dual processor Intel planar with PCI and SCSI/IDE.

You may want to compare it to what you have since the Config.sys was before I applied the SMP support.

Something interesting occurred in my case when I initially transferd the compressed file to an OS/2 VPC/2 image. Upon "rebooting" the virtual machine, the OS/2 setup utility poped up prompting me to make changes to the current setup.

Now, before installing my OS/2 2.11 I updated some of the basic and essential drivers. Hence, in your situation it may help to update some of your drivers to detect the newer hardware appropriately.

As an example, in my case to make OS/2 install I updated the IBMS506.ADD with a version from 2001; I also updated the mass device driver OS2DASD.DMD, and FDISK.COM with equivalent versions from the year referenced above.

Noting that those basic drivers interact with the BIOS to detect mass devices (among other functions), it would be useful to replace your original ones. Here is a link for downloading an a file containing three files self-extracting
07/24/00 9:46p 33c95b98 --w- fdisk.com
10/25/01 5:06p ad406bb7 --w- ibm1s506.add
06/27/01 6:17p b3acd7c8 --w- os2dasd.dmd

On the other hand, if you prefer, you may download this zipped identical file to be uncompressed with a pkzip utility.

Those files worked and are working under OS/2 VPC, Observe how you can invoke the Selective Install utility for hardware recognition even from the command line, typing: INSTALL.EXE

Please note that I do not make any implicit/explicit warranties that your problems will be over and/or that those files will not cause you any problems. Therefore, before replacing your older versions, back up your data.

Moreover, you may find that other more recent versions also work under OS/2 2.11 were you to do a search on the Internet. Those files referenced above were extracted from IDEDASD.EXE of that year. Notwithstanding, the FDISK.COM I can not recall from what fixpack did I extract it.

If you decide to download the files, I will emai you a password. Again, when OS/2 becomes free from the shackles of private entities that hinder its essential development, I will not have to do this anymore.

Good luck !

Date: 29 Dec, 2006 on 12:06
Jamich
Normal member
in user

31. Re:Error unless I disable the Floppy OS/2 2.11
El VATO I see no harm in trying these files you mentioned, I will make sure I backup older one first, please go ahead and send login info to email. I think I had updated all you mention except FDISK.COM so I will give it a shot.
Date: 29 Dec, 2006 on 18:11
mobybrick
Normal member
in user

32. Re:Error unless I disable the Floppy OS/2 2.11
Hi,

Can you please make sure that in the BIOS you have disabled all system and video BIOS 'cacheable' and any BIOS/ROM shadows.

If the problem still persists, please can you post a copy of RMVIEW /D and RMVIEW /P.

We might need to use RESERVE.SYS to reserve some memory areas. Please, also when Trap next happens, post Trap details.

Lastly, what video adapter are you using? I know you are only using VGA, but I saw a similar problem years ago with an S3 8C868 chipset.

Regards,
Moby.

Date: 31 Dec, 2006 on 17:51
mobybrick
Normal member
in user

33. Re:Error unless I disable the Floppy OS/2 2.11
Also, you will need BASEDEV=PRINT01.SYS for correct operation (as you said before, it is not currently in your CONFIG.SYS). You might want to check presence of COM.SYS too.

This, and the fact that your Digi board are using shared memory between 640Kb-1024Kb, lead me to think that OS/2 2.11 is not detecting a segment of memory in use (or one of your drivers is not OS/2 Resource Mangler aware), causing a trap when the memory is used.

The PRINT-SCREEN function must be using some kind of BIOS call, because at the moment, without PRINT01.SYS loaded, OS/2 ain't doing it, I don't think...

Lastly, you said you tried without your Digi board(s) present and still got a problem - were you by any chance still leaving one of the device drivers loading in CONFIG.SYS? To be safe, you need to test with all of the device drivers REMM'd out, and after a cold boot.

Regards,
Moby.

Date: 31 Dec, 2006 on 18:00
Jamich
Normal member
in user

34. Re:Error unless I disable the Floppy OS/2 2.11
BASE=PRINT01.SYS and COM.SYS were placed in config sys and I had the same problem. The Video Card on all the PC I tried it on was all onboard. Digi board removed and driver REM and I still have problem. I have also attached a screen print of my TRAP Error
Date: 01 Jan, 2007 on 04:15 Attachment: Trap.JPG
Jamich
Normal member
in user

35. Re:Error unless I disable the Floppy OS/2 2.11
Also I need help with RMVIEW,where to download from, I cann't find it on my system where can I find it and how do I use it so I can send info you need.
Date: 01 Jan, 2007 on 04:21
mobybrick
Normal member
in user

36. Re:Error unless I disable the Floppy OS/2 2.11
Sorry, RMVIEW is Warp 3.0+ - my mistake.

I can't find any (near) hits on the CS:EIP or CSLIM, I'm afraid.

Please try to make sure all Video/System ROM BIOS shadow/cache is turned off... also, if you are using PS/2 mouse, please make sure that IRQ12 is reserved in BIOS.

Also, what does VER /R at the prompt say? I thought OS/2 2.11 kernels where internal version 6.xxx, but your trap screen shows 2.xxxx. Or maybe another thing I am getting wrong!

Regards,
Moby.

Date: 01 Jan, 2007 on 05:54
Jamich
Normal member
in user

37. Re:Error unless I disable the Floppy OS/2 2.11
ver /r did not work but ver worked
OS/2 version 2.0
A+ server version 2.01
Unable to check bios because I am away from the PC now but will give you that info asap.
Date: 01 Jan, 2007 on 22:40
obiwan
Premium member
in user

since: 30 Aug, 2006
38. Re:Error unless I disable the Floppy OS/2 2.11
It suddenly hit me the other day as I was trying to fix a problem of my own. If your only problem is you don't want to manually enable and disable the floppy drive in the BIOS each time you dual-boot, and you don't need the floppy drive most of the time under OS/2, why not just rem out the IBM1FLPY.ADD driver in CONFIG.SYS so OS/2 doesn't see it?
Date: 03 Jan, 2007 on 23:20
Jamich
Normal member
in user

39. Re:Error unless I disable the Floppy OS/2 2.11
That was my last resort I haven't tried it yet but it should work. Was kinda hoping we would find out WHY, lets just say I like a challenge and always opened to suggestions.
Date: 04 Jan, 2007 on 01:15
obiwan
Premium member
in user

since: 30 Aug, 2006
40. Re:Error unless I disable the Floppy OS/2 2.11
Gee, if you like the challenge that much, pay the $10 on eBay and try your application on a fresh install of Warp 3!
Date: 04 Jan, 2007 on 02:22
Error unless I disable the Floppy OS/2 2.11
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 2 3 | Next >
Go to: