Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Some general questions
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Hanman
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.wwemu.com
since: 12 Oct, 2002
1. Some general questions
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hello,
I'm a totally beginner with OS/2 sorry....
Ok lets start (i hope this is the right forum... )
1. How are the hardware requierments?
2. Can I install OS/2 on a Windows partition?
3. Is this OS hard to install?
4. Can I use my DSL connection?
5. Works OS/2 among Win98 well?
6. How can I boot OS/2
7. Is OS/2 Warp v. 3 ok or should I buy v. 4?

Salut Hanman

I love it when a plan comes togther!
Date: 12 Oct, 2002 on 20:10
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
2. Re:Some general questions

Hanman (Oct 12, 2002 22:10):
Hello,
I'm a totally beginner with OS/2 sorry....
Ok lets start (i hope this is the right forum... )
1. How are the hardware requierments?
2. Can I install OS/2 on a Windows partition?
3. Is this OS hard to install?
4. Can I use my DSL connection?
5. Works OS/2 among Win98 well?
6. How can I boot OS/2
7. Is OS/2 Warp v. 3 ok or should I buy v. 4?

Salut Hanman

Here is the answers on your questions:

1) You can use old system as far back as 486 to install OS2 on. But, I guess that we might talk about newer hardware here. What you should check out is if your gfx card and network vard is supported by OS2. Most major NICs are supported by OS2 (3Com, D-Link, RealTek, etc.). Gfx board might be a bit hard depending if you looking at the card manufactors site you might be out of luck. But, there are two solutions that covers the most boards on the market either IBM GRADD driversm IBM SDD or the original SDD drivers from SciTech. But, to make a long story short is that most hardware can be made to work with OS2.

2) OS2 uses either FAT16 or HPFS, but should be installed on a HPFS. Windows 98 for example installs mostly on a FAT32 partition. So you should and it the recommendation to install OS2 on it's own partition.

3) No, it's not hard to install. I would say that it's just as easy as Windows. And actually I usually have problem config problems with Win 98 than I have with OS2

4) Yes, how are you connecting? Via ADSL router?

5) If you install OS2 and Win98 on the same disk on different partition there should be any problem at all. There are drivers for OS2 that would help you out to access FAT32 used by Win 98 as well. But, both OS can without any problem co-exist.

6) ALong with OS2 you can install OS2 BootManager. But, I would strongly recommend that you uses Air-Boot.

7) Version 3 is a bit old I would recommend that you should try to get your hands on version 4 (it's easy to get an both for a cheap $). If you enjoy using OS2 I would recommend to upgrade your system to eComStation (eCS by Serenity System) which is a OEM version of OS2.

If you provide us with more info regarding your hardware it would be easy to give the help you need to make an OS2 installation without failure.

/Kim

Date: 12 Oct, 2002 on 20:36
Hanman
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.wwemu.com
3. Re:Some general questions
Ok thanks for this much informations
I would install it first on a P2 350 64 MB Ram. I have two hard dics with 4 partitions. I only want to test OS/2 first. I would prefer it if I could delete all files of an existings partition and install there OS/2. Is this a problem? I dont want to make big thinks. First i want to test this sythem. I use ethernet for intenet!

Salut Hanman

Date: 12 Oct, 2002 on 21:19
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
4. Re:Some general questions
During the initial installation you get a question if you want to format the partition or not. Here you would then choose to format the partition using HPFS. In Warp 3 I think you have to pick advanced installation to be able to get some more option if you want to format the partition or not. A while ago I installed Warp 3. But, I would suggest that go with Warp 4 as for testing instead of Warp 3. If the disk are bigger than 8gb I also suggest that you download the driver update available from IBM

Regarding your earlier question how to boot OS2. If you're using linux on the system you can also of course use the LILO boot if you want to start OS2.

/Kim

Date: 12 Oct, 2002 on 21:39
Hanman
Normal member
in user

5. Re:Some general questions
Ok i forgot to ask this :
What is Airboot? Hmm how much disc space need OS/2. And how can I delete this again? If i installed OS/2 on a formated partition and delete it later, can I use this partion again without any problem with Win?

Saltus Hanman

Date: 12 Oct, 2002 on 21:58
Kim
Team member
in staff

6. Re:Some general questions
An OS2 installation would take from 50mb up to 350mb depending on what you plan to install. A minimized Warp 3 could be around 15mb and Warp 4 could span normal from 50mb to 150mb. But lets say just for testing and to install some apps set up a partition around 500mb. When creating the partition if would be recommended to define it as a Primary- instead of Logical partition. Air-Boot is a boot manager device such LILO since both of them only exist in the Master Bootblock Record (MBR). For more information about Air-Boot follow this thread.
Date: 12 Oct, 2002 on 22:05
Hanman
Normal member
in user

7. Re:Some general questions
Ok thank you men! I will buy os/2 on ebay for 10 Euro (Dollar)

Saluts Hanman

Date: 12 Oct, 2002 on 22:15
Kim
Team member
in staff

8. Re:Some general questions
Just a final suggetions and recommendation. When you finally have made your installation of Warp 4. You should take a look of a tool called UpdCD. With this you can build and burn (if you have a CD-recorder) a new installation CD with all the latest fixes available for OS2. For more info check this news posting
Date: 13 Oct, 2002 on 20:21
Some general questions
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: