Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Setup & Installation
Finally...A Working Installation of OS/2
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
JasonL
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.houston.rr.com/luedke
since: 10 Jun, 2001
1. Finally...A Working Installation of OS/2
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
For several months now, I have not been able to get OS/2 Warp 4 to install on my computer. (1.0g AMD Athlon, ECS K7S5A mobo, Herc 3D Prophet KyroII graphics, 256mb DDR)
The install process would freeze at the point where it would normally ask to re-insert install disk 1 after copying a bunch of files from the cd.

Yesterday I finally updated the bios on my mobo with the latest rom image (downloaded at least a month ago). I then decided to try installing Warp again. Lo and behold, it worked!
So some of my install woes have been caused by the bios. I still have to put in an older pci graphics card in place of the Kryo or else the install will freeze at a different spot. (This is with hardware detection disabled)

A couple words of advice for anyone shopping for motherboards or graphics cards. The ECS K7S5A has made it 10 times more difficult to get OS/2 to install/work properly. I don't know if this is due to ECS or the SiS 735 chipset or both. I will probably never get the onboard sound to work. It is also not a good board for Linux users either.

Stay away from the KyroII based graphics cards. They are great performers (for their price) in the Windows world, but the Scitech drivers do not support hardware acceleration on this chipset. So you'd need a mighty fast processor to give decent window rendering speed at higher resolutions, and forget about 3d/opengl games.

Date: 02 Jun, 2002 on 21:09
dechah
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 19 Jul, 2002
2. Re:Finally...A Working Installation of OS/2
I just read your post and found it most inetesting. I am having troubles as well with my ECS K7S5A mobo. My system has the following specs:

The tech specs of my system are:

1. ECS K7S5A motherboard with the SIS 735 chipset
2. 512MB of DDR Ram
3. AMD Athlon 1600+ CPU
4. Soundblaster Live Video Card
5. Seagate 1275MB HDD
6. nVidia GeForce II 64MB video card.

I am able to boot the computer with the OS/2 Installation diskette in my system. It then asks me to install OS/2 diskettes 1 and 2.

The system asks me if I want easy or advance installation. I chose advanced and was placed into fdisk. I have erased the partitions on the main drive, set the drive as installable and save and exit.

I then chose to format the drive using HPFS, and it asks me to wait while the disk is formatted. I am then asked to select a pointing device. As I have a USB mouse currently attached to the system, I choose “none” at this point (after I get the system to load from the HDD I shall swap in a serial mouse).

The files are then copied off the CDRom onto the freshly formatted hard drive. After a few moments the system asks me to remove the floppy disk and reboot to complete the install.

This is where the wheels fall off. The system boots normally, posting all the BIOS details concerning my system. The last thing that happens is the system goes through its boot sequence as follows:

Boot from floppy ….…No
Boot from CDRom…...No
Boot from IDE-0……..OK

And that’s it, the system just sits there. I don’t get any beeps or anything. I don’t get the OS/2 logo appearing in the upper left hand corner of the screen like I remember from days gone by, so I can’t even Alt-F2 to change the bootup parameters.

Can anyone suggest what is going wrong here? I suspect that my motherboard chipset may not be supported by my stock standard “out-of-the-box” version of OS/2. But I can’t get the system running so that I can install the latest fixpack.

Any help greatly appreciated

Date: 19 Jul, 2002 on 13:29
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
3. Re:Finally...A Working Installation of OS/2
Do you have utility diskettes you can boot from? If yes, you can boot from them, then do a chkdsk on the hard drive and then install the updated ide drivers from the IBM web site. If not, you can use the installation diskettes up to the point where it asks 'express' or 'advanced' and then press f3 to go the command line and do the rest of the above.

Were the installation diskettes the original ones? You should create updated installation diskettes using the files from the IBM site or from a fixpak (I know the WarpUp cd had them).

I don't know if this will help but its a start.

PS You can use the DANI files (from http://hobbes.nmsu.edu ) instead of the IBM IDE drivers (IIRC they support SiS chipsets).

OS/2 Warp-ed to the very end.
Date: 19 Jul, 2002 on 14:10
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
4. Re:Finally...A Working Installation of OS/2
Okey, so the system "tries" to boot on the harddisk but it sounds like there are missing system files or something this could also be in combination with that the IDE drivers are not update date (guess that you have a disk larger than 8GB). As Tom mention update the IDE drivers and if it still not boots try then to boot up on the installations disk goto promt and run sysinstx against the boot drive might be that you have to run this command from the CD.
Date: 19 Jul, 2002 on 18:54
JasonL
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.houston.rr.com/luedke
since: 10 Jun, 2001
5. Re:Finally...A Working Installation of OS/2
This is going along the same lines as Tom and Kim, but were you using unmodified install disks, or have you updated the disks at some time in the past?

I vaguely remember having a similar problem about 1-2 years ago. It had to do with some changes I made to the install disks in an attempt to update them. I had somehow created a bad/incompatible mix of 4.0 and 4.5 files/drivers. (Somewhere around fixpak 12 IBM made significant changes to the kernel and redesignated the system version as 4.5)

The idedasd updates I've seen usually come with 2 versions of ibm1s506.add and os2dasd.dmd. One set is for pre-kernel change systems(i.e. 4.0) and the other says it's for the post-kernel change systems (i.e. 4.5, although, I was never able to get these to work even though my system version reported 4.5) If you put the 4.5 versions on your install disk and set the copyfromfloppy to yes, then you'll end up with the old kernel and dasd drivers for the new kernel, and your system won't boot.

If none of this sounds remotely familiar to your situation, then the only other thing I can say is try getting the latest BIOS update from www.ecsusa.com, flash the BIOS, and try reinstalling OS/2. Oh, and if you haven't done so already, disable the onboard sound in the BIOS setup since you have an add-in soundblaster card that you're using instead.

Hope this helps,
JasonL

Date: 19 Jul, 2002 on 20:19
Finally...A Working Installation of OS/2
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: